It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Often heard sayings that are completely false.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: SeriouslyDeep

"The customer is always right."
What a load of crap that is!

It's correct, but simply misunderstood. It means "The customer knows what the customer wants to buy." He is "right" in that statement. So if he goes to the hardware store and wants to but a widget, but the store doesn't have a widget to sell, the customer will go elsewhere. It has nothing to do with the employee taking abuse. That is an unfortunate and simplistic interpretation that many people make that leads to all sorts of confusion. Managers and employers who insist on this interpretation are just plain stupid.

Regarding your comment, I see myself as the "customer", and expect to be treated as such.
So how do you like them apples?

I don't know what that means, exactly, but if you come across as arrogant or demanding, you won't be a customer in my store for long.

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

You mean there has to be a space in there for interpretation and to suspend logic realism for idiosynchracies. To meander on daft and imagine things long enough till you find something that fits.
edit on 12-12-2022 by SeriouslyDeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

That is easily remedied with a low price investment in hip high tables. You could build them yourself to fit the job probably for less than a few hundred dollars.

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeriouslyDeep

You mean there has to be a space in there for interpretation and to suspend logic realism for idiosynchracies. To meander on daft and imagine things long enough till you find something that fits.

How about creating one's own idiom/saying that actually fits the situation and modern times? Like - "Nobody's got time for that" - we got 'em in memes.
edit on q000000401231America/Chicago4141America/Chicago12 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

How about creating one's own idiom/saying that actually fits the situation and modern times? Like - "Nobody's got time for that" - we got 'em in memes.

I dont use sayings, people repeat things because they cant think for themselves. And in shallow argument youll hear the wrong one always grab slogans and sayings for a quick retort as if theres a mountain of meaning behind that short sentence to compensate for the hole of meaninglessness they cant defend, its like a stunning mechanism, throw brains out the door grab bats with words on them.

I dont like repeating myself or using someone elses clever quote. I dont sum up sh.it and slap on bumper stickers.

edit on 12-12-2022 by SeriouslyDeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I dont use sayings, people repeat things because they cant think for themselves. And in shallow argument youll hear the wrong one always grab slogans and sayings for a quick retort as if theres a mountain of meaning behind that short sentence to compensate for the hole of meaninglessness they cant defend, its like a stunning mechanism, throw brains out the door grab bats with words on them.

I dont like repeating myself or using someone elses clever quote. I dont sum up sh.it and slap on bumper stickers.

I disagree with your take on it, sometimes a quote fits perfectly with a situation or a discussion, perhaps not a serious debate and this thread is all about idioms so it is expected, also I really don't see many idioms used on ATS, quotes yes, which are entirely different than idioms.

Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.

Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I disagree with your take on it, sometimes a quote fits perfectly with a situation or a discussion, perhaps not a serious debate and this thread is all about idioms so it is expected, also I really don't see many idioms used on ATS, quotes yes, which are entirely different than idioms.

Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I never enter argument, all arguments are cleverly arranged and then I am tricked into them, upon realizing Ive been tricked immediately exit the argument and preserve my health.

I dont see much on message boards in the way of idioms or sayings, but news items and news clips are always filled with them. Crowd pleasers love using slogans, I am not a crowd pleaser and am not interested in impressing strangers or the public at all, got nothing to say to them. So while as board users we dont talk like this, most all of those politicians and news reporters do.

I have known people though that talk like quote books and it gets on my nerves, like hearing a doll with a pull string, but I dont tell them that.

If I had a quote of my own it would say, "The wind of the sloganmans blows through you, the wind of sloganmans blows through you, repeat them repeat them." LOL

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I like that and it may make the sloganman think twice or thrice. LOL

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Me had big sloganmans yelling at me many times many years. What does sloganmans want? I give you one guess.

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 11:38 PM
link   
if is a mighty big word,

if a grasshopper could fire a .45 the birds wouldn't f__ with him.
if a frog had frog wings, he wouldn't bump his a@@ when he hopped.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 06:49 AM
link   
“Ask and you shall receive”

Receive what, a No for an answer?

Here’s one that’s actually true…

“No good deed goes unpunished”.
edit on 13-12-2022 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 07:18 AM
link   
"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day"

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   

"Happy Wife Happy Life"

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

"Happy Wife Happy Life"

that one is pretty damn close to true, at least for me.
the happier she is the better off i am.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Doesn't work very well if 'Happy Wife' means spending more than your means.. Hammering an addiction problem.. Avoiding responsibility and doing nothing .. etc .. It is pretty dangerous.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   

“Hip high tables, self built, relatively cheap.”

Um, interesting thought but. Not a chance……
You’re looking at a flat calm day there.
You haven’t seen the scallop drags come aboard and their relation to deck size or when she’s rolling rail to rail in a gale of wind and the tons and tons of steel and what’s in the drags are swinging.
One is hanging just under the gallows at outside the stern rail. See it?
The drags bring back Everything they encounter on the bottom and by that I mean rocks. We keep the rocks as small as possible by hanging horizontal and vertical chains over the mouth of the drag or steel net if you will which is made of linked iron rings, the rock chains.
There were some larger boats that tried a dump deck system to clear the unkept rubble or trash after picking the pile. I watched as a man got smashed flat by one of those things while dockside back in the 80’s.
Dump decks are pretty much gone now, to my knowledge.

That is three tows worth of catch you’re seeing.
What you suggest, while a good idea is not possible in this instance.
If a boat was built to make it so it would be hugely expensive. Unimaginable so.

There is another type of Bivalve harvester that uses conveyors and such. A “Sea Clam” Boat. IE: canned clams. Those are not shucked at sea like Scallops but stored in huge cages in a flooded hold the way Crab and Lobster is.
That fleets primary home is Cape May New Jersey.
I have worked those boats, after a few trips I bailed.
The design is notoriously un-stable at sea.

Many, many have gone down for minor mistakes or equipment failure. Soooooo.

I wish it could be as you say, but sorry.
It’s back breaking, man killing work.
I was a lic. engineer at one point, just the mechanics involved in what what you suggest, wow!

Nice catch though.
Thanks for the reply to the “No, pain, no gain comment”!

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: thoughts

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: stuff

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Many hands make light work.

Too many chefs spoil the broth.

And:

"Military intelligence".

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I had to laugh at the last one.
The cranial war fare done over that title, or “saying”, Phew….

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut

“Hip high tables, self built, relatively cheap.”

Um, interesting thought but. Not a chance……
You’re looking at a flat calm day there.
You haven’t seen the scallop drags come aboard and their relation to deck size or when she’s rolling rail to rail in a gale of wind and the tons and tons of steel and what’s in the drags are swinging.
One is hanging just under the gallows at outside the stern rail. See it?
The drags bring back Everything they encounter on the bottom and by that I mean rocks. We keep the rocks as small as possible by hanging horizontal and vertical chains over the mouth of the drag or steel net if you will which is made of linked iron rings, the rock chains.
There were some larger boats that tried a dump deck system to clear the unkept rubble or trash after picking the pile. I watched as a man got smashed flat by one of those things while dockside back in the 80’s.
Dump decks are pretty much gone now, to my knowledge.

That is three tows worth of catch you’re seeing.
What you suggest, while a good idea is not possible in this instance.
If a boat was built to make it so it would be hugely expensive. Unimaginable so.

There is another type of Bivalve harvester that uses conveyors and such. A “Sea Clam” Boat. IE: canned clams. Those are not shucked at sea like Scallops but stored in huge cages in a flooded hold the way Crab and Lobster is.
That fleets primary home is Cape May New Jersey.
I have worked those boats, after a few trips I bailed.
The design is notoriously un-stable at sea.

Many, many have gone down for minor mistakes or equipment failure. Soooooo.

I wish it could be as you say, but sorry.
It’s back breaking, man killing work.
I was a lic. engineer at one point, just the mechanics involved in what what you suggest, wow!

Nice catch though.
Thanks for the reply to the “No, pain, no gain comment”!

There is always a simple way when engineering and mahcinery is involved. Youd have to work around the boats and their equipment and redesign the dock area, but it could be easy as moving the catch onto a platform and sliding it from one staging area to another. Its all about heights and space simple three dimensional stuff. It would be pricey at that extreme but it would save a lot of back from breaking and when it comes to health aint no price unreasonable.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Alternatively, I never understood throwing a conniption fit, most people used to want to avoid a confrontation now it's almost the exact opposite.

Why it's because "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", which is often true. At least, if you actually bother to maintain your equipment, the wheel to apply the lubricant to while doing so would certainly be the squeaky one, if you are performing the bare minimum maintenance.

originally posted by: PiratesCut
I Have one that is completely false and so, so, so many are fooled by it!

“God helps those that help themselves.”

NO NO NO!

It really is, God helps those that trust, love and believe in Him.

Disagree somewhat. If God helps all, or even merely those who trust, love, and believe in him, the recipient of divine providence needs less providence if s/he takes care of themselves, than if the person does not. For the person who takes care of themself, that providence might be a bonus, in contrast to the person who does not take care of themself, whose divine providence is a saving grace that just gets them by, and therefore not a bonus at all.

I suppose then a more accurate version of the saying would be "God's help benefits those who take care of themselves more than it does those who don't take care of themselves."

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join