It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

97.7 Million Birds Are Already Dead As The Worst Bird Flu Outbreak Ever

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2022 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Wow, that sounds like a horrible life for a chicken. No outside time at all, and we'll kill you if you get out!

I have 5 backyard chickens. They have a nice, large coop that I lock them in at night to protect them from nighttime predators, and a large, mostly wooded fenced area to scratch around in by day. I do not see other birds land in the fenced area ever. Maybe because we keep several bird feeders filled in other parts of the yard and they've no need to seek food in the chicken yard?

In any case, my chickens are about 3 years old and remain healthy (knocking on wood!) and I feel like their eggs are extra healthy because they get ample clean water, fresh air, sunshine, daily exercise, and can supplement their layer feed with their natural diet in the wild (and kitchen scraps-- lordy they do love melon of any kind!) We also have never used pesticides on any part of our yard, so none of that in our mini food chain either.

So say a little prayer for my 5 little hens-- may they remain safe and healthy and enjoy the great outdoors!

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

If you want real orange yokes, give your chicken crushed clam shells. Yes,they eat them also. The yokes are so orange.
We feed them that here in Japan in the countryside.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Those cobb chickens are the ones developed for meat and have a pretty short and often sad life.

We have between 80-200 chickens dependant on various factors and when the first flockdown was put in place I went to town.

I got a load of old polytunnel frames and covered them in chicken wire and netting so even if there's a no go outdoors law in place they are all still free range.

They still have plenty of space and sunlight but are compliant and it also means that we can have boot baths at the pen doors to stop contamination and an added bonus is they are safe from predators like mink and foxes and stoats.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

If you want real orange yokes, give your chicken crushed clam shells. Yes,they eat them also. The yokes are so orange.
We feed them that here in Japan in the countryside.

Interesting... I mix crushed oyster shells in with their layer feed. Should I look for clam shells instead?

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Good chicken owner, you!

Two things: "flockdown" --LOL
and
Tell me about this boot bath you speak of?

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Flockdown was not my creation I'm sad to say lol. It first came about in the first covid lockdowns and someone in an online chicken forum I frequent came up with that and it stuck.

The boot bath is just a large washing up bowl outside the pen that has some really good chemical anti viral/antibiotic liquid in it so you stand in that before you go in and it stops you tramping potential bird flu all over the ground and stops infection.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   
After more outbreaks they have announced another UK national flockdown as of today.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
After more outbreaks they have announced another UK national flockdown as of today.

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. My little flock in South Carolina is still safe and sound and able to range free in my yard. I hope it doesn't come to my neck of the woods!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join