It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon school ends live classes over socialization issues and children fighting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

You done said it...

So very sad...

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: sraven

School what's school?

I just wanna protest! LIFE IS UNFAIR!

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

I love the fact how that member insults me, but before that, tells me I am the rude one.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Exact what I was thinking. I don't know how Zoom or others works, if it's push activated or talk activated, probably can be set up this way?

I never knew what ghosting is until it happened to me on a dating portal. Because I said no to something asked, blocked both whatsapp and the portal site without any explanation never to be heard off.

Yeah that shows character.

Anyways pupils can scream anything at the teacher when the mic is off. They can also text each other via whatsapp or similar, behind the teachers back. There's a whole new world of shenanigans to pull off because the teacher isn't physically there.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Kids are going to be kids. No one has ever gone to school because they relish the opportunity to sit in a chair for hours at a time writing notes and doing worksheet exercises. I have to wonder if part of the friction isn't a result of teachers being out of practice capturing the attention of a dozen restless disinterested juveniles. It's inevitable that education has to be periodically retooled for each classroom environment.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Yes, the certain level of subordination has been lifted, and they have gone wild it seems. In school learning is going to much different from here on out I believe.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

At least until order is restored in classroom.

The class I was in was THE most feared and wildest of all, was what we heard from teacher rumors. The boys took down a door, a chalkboard and cracked a window in like the first two or three months in a completely new classroom.

We spent the rest of the year in a makeshift classroom under the gym. It was so packed, you could not stand up without rumbling your chair into someone others. In summer you were boiled boiled there single sheet windows facing south.

The next classroom was treated very good. I know how my class was, I can imagine the circus in that school, really.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Likely the result of the kids watching TV, video games and
their bad parents for two years.

Factor in the teachers who just want to get paid and
slack off. But public schools have been little better than
a sitter service for years now. Not too surprising...

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Reminds me of a movie:

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

It is the schools responsibility to teach reading, writing, arithmetic, history.

It is the parents job to socialize their own damned children.

I wish people would quit relying on schools to parent.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Yes that's the parents job. Socializing the kid was a tad difficult the last two years with repeated lockdowns, school and kindergartens closing for weeks and month, mask mandates, nowhere to go and strict rules how you can not meet two different households. Maximum 5 people rule and all that.

The only thing that did not have an effect on her was the curfews. I think the only time my kid sees other adults without masks is when I am around or the landlords, maybe on the street while driving by.

But the last smiles that not came from me or my landlords towards my daughter were long ago.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   

It is the parents' job, but I'm pretty mentally stable and masks are taking a toll on me, enough that my mind will create memories of people without them even though we've all been wearing them.

Thankfully we are just about done with them everywhere and hopefully, it stays that way.

My point on this is that less mentally and emotionally stable parents are not going to have fared as well and then they were locked up with their kids. This is the result. So what's the answer? The government schools are shoving the problem back into the loony closet by doing this, not addressing anything. It isn't the school necessarily, but in this case, as with so much else, the government did break it.
edit on 18-11-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We'll always have weak adults being parents, sadly that's the truth.

What we shouldn't do is knee-jerk and shove the responsibility onto local or state government via the schools.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It's Oregon .
"Nuff Said"

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: tamusan

It is the schools responsibility to teach reading, writing, arithmetic, history.

It is the parents job to socialize their own damned children.

I wish people would quit relying on schools to parent.

I agree. My mom would beat me a little if I misbehaved in school, and then my dad would liken my home life to Marine Corps basic training for a little while. But outside of school, kids tend to associate with those they get along with. That's different from being around those outside your preferred group at school. That part of socialization is what kids didn't have for nearly two years.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   

We should never do that, no. However it's also the teachers job to get control over the class and they have the tools for this, if not for some parents interfering with this.

As an example
When I did something stupid, yes I did that once or twice, I came home and my parents already knew. They questioned me about my version and I knew If I lied I would get in even bigger trouble.

They gave me a chance to explain the situation but if I could not, well.... No TV, no radio, no friend visits and there's always work in the barn to find. The next day I was sitting straight in class, believe me.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:50 PM
link   

It's the teachers job to teach. The teacher used to discipline the child when he/she was misbehaving.

Once teachers lost that ability then the onus fell on the parents.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:01 PM
link   
That's what I am saying, and the parents need to communicate with the teachers. Some parents shield their child completely against any accusations. Some parents believe every accusation blindly. Some try to find a middle road where there is a dynamic between the triangle parent, kid, teacher. I think that's the way to go.

Your post reads like, my be just my impression, that the teachers are completely freed of teaching some social skills, too. Yes, education is their main job but acting like it's not their duty to keep the class in check, social engineering skills are needed for this, is a bit black&white kind of viewpoint.

There can be authority emanating from a teacher without physical discipline, or external discipline through parents. Just one example, I lisp heavy and I wasn't freed from reading poems. The whole class laughed every time. I hated the teacher for doing this.

Back then I did not understand that singling me out would have made me an even bigger target. I learned, although much later in retrospective, that there's no excuse for not doing something because you are not good at it. Instead I had to go through it just like everyone. But those that laughed... He let them laugh and at the end he dished out "-" signs on their behavior.

He let them run into the knife until they learned not to laugh. He could have ridiculed them or done many other things. He showed them that sometimes disciplinary actions are not suddenly and that he will watch them piling up, because they had been warned before countless times. And then serve it to them until they learned.

That's a valuable lesson too, that one does not need external alarms when to behave, but watch what they do for themselves.
edit on 18.11.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   

"`The most permanent lessons in morals are those which come, not of book teaching, but of experience."
-Mark Twain

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Oh yeah? Since when!?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join