It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the Polio disease a result of DDT production?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   
An interesting fact is that the Polio outbreak occurred immediately following unprecedented DDT usage. The graph below shows the correlation between Polio cases and DDT usage. As DDT was introduced Polio cases soared and as it was eventually phased out, cases of Polio began to rapidly decline. Author Morton Biskind says: “Central nervous system diseases such as Polio are actually the physiological and symptomatic manifestations of the ongoing government and industry sponsored inundation of the world’s populace with central nervous system poisons”.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Nathan-D

Interesting theory (not saying it can't be valid) although correlation does not equal causation.

I can't embed, but google "Correlation does not equal causation" and all kinds of similar graphs of completely unrelated things will show up. For example, US science and technology spending trends exactly with deaths of strangulation, suicides, etc.

Or number of people who drowned matches almost perfectly with marriage rates in Kentucky.

Just saying...

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
Shouldn't the drowning be matched with the divorce rate not the marriage rate? Asking for a friend.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Or number of people who drowned matches almost perfectly with marriage rates in Kentucky.

I'm curious what the divorce rate there is now.

ETA crayzeed had a similar thought about the same time.

edit on 10-25-2021 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: Edumakated
Shouldn't the drowning be matched with the divorce rate not the marriage rate? Asking for a friend.

Well if there is a drowning, there wouldn't be a need for a divorce? Or are you saying divorce rate going down is correlated with drownings?

Maybe things are correlated....

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   
What exactly is DDT? I can make out some things in the picture, looks like it was carried in Milk?? Interesting...

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Nathan-D

Polio was supposedly an unintended consequence of better sanitation from a virus found in poop.

Supposedly when most people lived hand to mouth, people where exposed to the virus as babies when it’s least dangerous to a person.

Better sanitation pushed off the exposure to ages where paralysis had a better chance to develop.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
What exactly is DDT? I can make out some things in the picture, looks like it was carried in Milk?? Interesting...

It used to be used as an insecticide, now it's reserved for spot-treating areas for aerial mosquito spraying. it's toxic AF to the environment and does an equal number on the human bod, from dicking with hormones, to cancers.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Certain adjuvants coupled to organophosphates....the one we are talking about here is DDT.....can cause problems with proper immune system function through various means. But I cannot say that that is the case with Polio. I never considered that could be related. If it messes with your immune system signaling or chemicals, it could make a person more susceptable to cancers and cause an immune system suppression towards other pathogens I suppose.

I really don't know and I don't know if they ever tested for that relationship years ago when DDT was being used a lot. The thing is that the pesticides used after that that have now been bad all had similar side effects, changing the adjuvant chemistry did not actually help much with that. But changing the chemistry allowed the organophosphates to still be potent and utilized on farms once they proved DDT was a problem. Change the name with a little change in chemistry and then sell it again as a new fake safer chemical used on the crops.

Good theory, but I have doubts as to whether research was done, after all the FDA and other agencies were trying to cover up that they had messed up by allowing DDT to be used.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:26 PM
link   

It was used liberally back in the day to kill mosquitoes and then the environmentalist got it banned or restricted in use.

However, some critics contend it was a life saver in many countries as it significantly reduced illnesses associated with mosquitoes.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I notice that in the OP's graph, polio incidence goes up BEFORE DDT usage does. That sparks a "no correlation" thought in my mind.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It was used liberally back in the day to kill mosquitoes and then the environmentalist got it banned or restricted in use.

However, some critics contend it was a life saver in many countries as it significantly reduced illnesses associated with mosquitoes.

Actually a lot of farmers got cancer and all sorts of health problems from DDT and if they didn't ban it, the majority of the farmers would have died. The new replacement chemistry was not as much of a problem on farmers survival. It was not banned because of environmentalists, nobody back in the sixties paid attention to what environmentalists said, in fact most people thought the tree huggers were nuts. DDT was sprayed on most crops back in the sixties except some small farmers thought it was unnatural but most people thought DDT was a lifesaver and harmless, I remember the sales pitches they gave my dad and the advertising of how great the chemical was when I was young.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Interesting thing though, where they sprayed the mosquitoes they grew bigger and stronger every year, they used to spray the kids walking home from school, mosquitoes got so mighty they could carry your dog away!

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

We got those big mosquitoes here, they cannot carry more than one of those miniature dogs away. Making us believe they can carry away a full size dog set precedence for them saying the covid vaccines are safe and effective.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The polio vaccine may have had a bit of an effect on polio cases, don't you think? It began being used in 1955 and by 1979, the US was polio free.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Polio through history

From minor outbreaks to epidemics

www.britannica.com...

Vermont in 1894. During an epidemic of 1,031 cases in Sweden in 1905, Ivar Wickman recognized that patients with nonparalytic disease could spread the virus, and during an epidemic of 3,840 cases in 1911,

Shoot to Kill: Control and Controversy in the History of DDT Science

web.stanford.edu...

DDT has humble origins for a chemical that would eventually reach much of the world. First discovered in 1873 by a German chemistry student named Othmar Zeidler, the compound did not receive serious attention until a 37-year-old chemist named Paul Herman Muller synthesized it again in 1936. Muller developed the chemical while trying to identify the particular toxic ingredient in two other insecticides that he had recently invented, Gesarol and Neocid1. His investigation eventually yielded dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, which he named DDT. Promptly patented in 1940 by Muller’s employer, a dye-manufacturing com- pany named Geigy, the chemical immediately proved to be incredibly powerful2. Over the next several decades, DDT would become one of the most significant and controversial chemicals of the twentieth century.

Poli was becoming a problem before the industrial use of DDT.
edit on 25-10-2021 by neutronflux because: Fixed

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Wasn't DDT the reason the Eagles were dying off, and on the endangered species list?

Would not surprise me at all if it was related to Polio. And I would bet maybe a few other things as well, that we should look at.

How long has Round Up been around? Now it's linked to Parkinson's.

But hey, lets keep spraying those chemicals man, it's all good.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy
Uh, not polio free.

We have a young lady, approx 30 years old here in town, that has it.

No idea why, but she does.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Wasn't DDT the reason the Eagles were dying off, and on the endangered species list?

Would not surprise me at all if it was related to Polio. And I would bet maybe a few other things as well, that we should look at.

How long has Round Up been around? Now it's linked to Parkinson's.

But hey, lets keep spraying those chemicals man, it's all good.

Correct. The DDT got into the streams and rivers due to rainwater runoff and the eagles fed on fish that were contaminated. The DDT caused the eagles to lay thin-shelled eggs, which broke during incubation.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: butcherguy
Uh, not polio free.

We have a young lady, approx 30 years old here in town, that has it.

No idea why, but she does.

There was a similar virus that has sprung up. It is called AFM.
US News

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join