It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Watched "Dune"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Maybe I should post this on the Rant Forum. Enough said.

This kid is not a bad actor but looks physically too weak. Jessica role was overloaded. The worm less impressive than the original.

The worse part is the end, which is not the end. Ends by the middle of the original movie. I shouldn't call it the end.

The beginning was suspicious, the title says "Part One". Now I see why.

WTF ? Did they run out of budget ?

I need to see the old version to detox myself.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Do not worry. Part two hasn’t even been greenlit yet. So there is a possibility it will never get made. Think on that.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   
To me it looked like the took the best parts of the Lynch version and the Sci Fi version and updated them. The camera shots and the music has a real Lawrence of Arabia feel to it. While the Harkonnans reminded me of Apocalypse Now and The Baron reminded me of Marlon Brando’s character of Colonel Walter Kurz. They did stay closer to the novel in the first half instead of condensing hole that and I think they’re focusing on the spice cycle more In the oppression of the natives in the woke style.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Redhead6971

I mean that’s how dune ends right? Paul snorts too much spice and dies in a motorcycle accident in England, yes?

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Redhead6971

What about the desert mouse. They got the mouse like 3 times in the movie. WTF...., a desert mouse.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Dune is my favorite what’s in the box movie/book (idea) with og old boy 2nd and 7even coming in third.

At least we had the box.
edit on 24-10-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I have read all the Frank Herbert - Dune books, including the prequels. I was not impressed with this politically correct (a)version from the actual story. So much was missing, it was just sad and they had what... 2hrs and 20 minutes. I doubt it will be worth watching Chapter 2 lol. It kind of reminds me of that Russian abortion of a version of Dune with Susan Sarandon. Oh well, hollyweird is pooched, the bolsheviks are apparently winning....

Dino De Laurentiis was an absolute master in that first version. Acting was excellent at times, the story line didn't waver and the effects were pretty good.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I struggled with parts of it but over-all I enjoyed it.
I prepared myself by remembering the wind up to it and that it was obvious they’d taken many liberties with the original script.
While I did enjoy it I did expect more and in truth I found myself disappointed at the end.
I hope they finish it, it sure sux when they leave these movies hanging…..

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Sympathy for cockroaches

I think it is connected into Dune some authors do not like adding the I& II... or 1 & 2...

Avoiding serializing like the plague that if someone is a TRUE fan or curious then they will find it, discovered it and see the connections for themselves using pen names etc. to pull it off through the publisher. As an extension of Dune; Hell-raiser is also in my suspected to be in connection as Max,Mad Max etc. of those... as part of the same 'Universe' trying to communicate or convey one message, sort of like a Morse code straight to the heart to consider other life friendly no matter what the may look like they can still seem "human" and "inhuman" traits are just commonplace given the level of development in whatever "society" it may be.. so peaceable/not-peaceable is more accurate when it comes down to the individual.

Of course one cannot blame them for such a thought as Trope will or can ruin all will and or desire for entertainment... as when recognized it will break the 4th wall... like puppet strings/laugh tracks/boom microphone etc.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The mouse actually figures prominently in the book.a reply to: Trueman

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The mouse actually figures prominently in the book.a reply to: Trueman

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I noticed on a commercial I saw the other day for Dune, they said
"The next Star Wars & Lord of the Rings is finally here."

My immediate thought was that neither Star Wars nor Lord of the Rings had to announce their arrival in such a way. They turned into something massively popular because they are good. They didn't need to jump up and down screaming about how great they were or how huge they would become.

I know that's a silly thing to be bothered by, but I can't help it. It was a turn-off for me....

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

What was politically correct?

I liked it but have never read the book. And those that read the book didn't really seem to like the old Dune movie either.

Perhaps a Dune series on HBO, would have been better.

The story felt slightly lacking. Idk if the book is the simple story of betrayal, fall of the good guy kingdom, and rise of a savior.

Better than the old dune if i remember. Visuals were awesome. Baron wasn't as creepy tho

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It worries me that the Gizmodo article about the David Lynch version was upset that the "strong women" weren't strong enough.

A lot of times these days, strong women are overly strong.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As a woman, I agree wholeheartedly.

They're a caricature of strong women.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CptGreenTea
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

What was politically correct?

I liked it but have never read the book. And those that read the book didn't really seem to like the old Dune movie either.

Perhaps a Dune series on HBO, would have been better.

The story felt slightly lacking. Idk if the book is the simple story of betrayal, fall of the good guy kingdom, and rise of a savior.

Better than the old dune if i remember. Visuals were awesome. Baron wasn't as creepy tho

Watch the Dino de Laurentiis version and you will see the differences. There are so many, I would have to watch this new tripe a second time and that would be like watching Biden or Trudeau say the same sh!t a second time. I did the torture thing when I was with the military in interrogation training, I kinda avoid it now ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 09:12 PM
link   
And to think I was waiting all year for this.

After reading the comments here, we've decided not to even bother with it.

If Part II isn't greenlit, what's the point?

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If you consider powerful psychic women "overly strong"..

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=26179375]ketsuko[/post

A lot of times these days, strong women are overly strong.

Ah, strong like some of the winning women in the last olympics, strong.

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Maybe I should post this on the Rant Forum. Enough said.

This kid is not a bad actor but looks physically too weak. Jessica role was overloaded. The worm less impressive than the original.

The worse part is the end, which is not the end. Ends by the middle of the original movie. I shouldn't call it the end.

WTF ? Did they run out of budget ?

I need to see the old version to detox myself.

Watched the first dune movie at a theater n enjoyed it even reading the book which was better.

Falls in Texas the absolute bomb, watched The movie on a TV outside with a decent 60 inch tube n 9 speaker surround system in an outdoor open room. basically it bored the crap out of me as I had trouble hearing the soft dialogue, the dynamic range was so soft on the conservation that i had difficulty hearing it over mild traffic noise. Turned it up and the action parts were so loud it instantly had my wife pissed off because she could hear the loud parts in the house. Honestly enjoyed the first movie. will wait till she is not there n crank it up so I can hear the speech n maybe understand the movie better, or just go inside not fighting planes, trains, n automobiles. Really is star loaded, these home theater systems are fickle even with the room compensation software dialed in using calibrated microphones.

Denny

top topics

<<   2 >>

join