It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Watched "Dune"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
And to think I was waiting all year for this.

After reading the comments here, we've decided not to even bother with it.

If Part II isn't greenlit, what's the point?

They say it's going to be made in 22, but there is no indication either way.

Personally, I enjoyed this. I've not read the books, and watched the original movie but once, and I did cringe when momoasa... that guy from aquaman bloke, was in it.. but he and the movie were quite enjoyable.

I knew it was part one from the start though, so I didn't expect it to be fully told. And given the cast, I do see it making part 2. Funny seeing thanos AND drax in another movie... and Mr Skarsgard is always a bonus. The father of Floki, Eric Northman, and Pennywise the clown.

I'd say watch it, it's not bad. Critics will critique...

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 01:17 AM
link   
"Space Jesus and the oil allegory"

I actually really liked this movie

I think you'll find that part II has yet to be greenlit, likely, because of COVID

You need to remember that this movie was filmed coming in to a time of box office insecurity

Warner Bros decided to shop all their projects in post-production for the year to HBO Max to see a guaranteed return on their projects

It would be crazy for them, in a time when they are making such business decisions, to greenlight a massive amount of money into a sequel, to a movie, that they had to sell to HBO to ensure a return on

You don't double down on your risk, during a time when very few people are attending the movies

People have only really started going back to the movies recently

Dunes cinema release had been delayed in Australia specifically because theatres in allot of states here weren't even open

This is a double edged sword, Warner Bros lose on, either way they play it

They release the movie when cinemas aren't open. They lose the edge of promoting when cinema are open (not to mention costs of promotion)

They don't release it? Allot of people pirate the high-quality HBO version, ripped online

They are just waiting to see how much the make back on their investment

It is after-all a very big budget movie

I am hopeful they will go ahead with the second part

Either way, we should know soon enough, once it has finished opening worldwide
edit on 25 10 21 by Compendium because: Edit

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Yeah it sucked.

I knew it was going to be a disappointment when i first found out that momoa was in it.

The movie was just so washed, just stupid action scenes.

Not enough about spice.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: XipeTotex

Yeah it sucked.

I knew it was going to be a disappointment when i first found out that momoa was in it.

The movie was just so washed, just stupid action scenes.

Not enough about spice.

Did you notice the control panel of the ships? All those analog push buttons.

WTF !

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CptGreenTea
a reply to: ketsuko

If you consider powerful psychic women "overly strong"..

No. It was ranting about how the Bene Gesserit were the most powerful religious order but didn't act like it.

Talk about missing the point!

The Bene Gesserit ran much of everything from behind the scenes and it's manifestly obvious when you read the book and pay attention. Lady Jessica is a Harkonnen. The Fremen have been conditioned through careful suggestion to accept and shelter Bene Gesserit. Things like that. The Bene Gesserit play extreme long ball, a game of generations, not a game if power in the near term only.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   

For me it went something like this, Caladan the Atreides homeworld has been turned into Space Scotland but the natives look more like Persians or perhaps Indians than Scot's and they murdered the bagpipes they for some reason decided to use since the films maker mistook Caladan for Caledonia.

The Desert is not as good looking as the 1980's movie though the film is closer to the book.

The Fremen (Free Men of Arakis) are made to look like Taliban outcasts which may actually be quite close to what Herbert intended since he used a lot of Arabian and North African iconography and wording such as the Butlerian Jihad a war against intelligent machines that took place eon's before the story in Dune in his universe.

The Spice (created somehow during the sand worm's life cycle), link between the Spice, Worm's and Sand trout (Which appear in neither movie a type of fish like creature that is in fact a very young Worm that encased the oceans of Arakis by surrounding them with there own body's like living bubbles far under the sand (water is lethal to the adult sand worms and burns them like acid) - mysterious hints from his series of book's suggest that a non human race whom are never explored in his book's may have once placed the Worms on Arakis which may have once been a green world, Paul Atreidies eventually becomes the Emperor - the God emperor or Dune - of the known universe and merges with the Sand Trout that cover his body except for his face, IX a remnant of the pre Butlerian period whom still create thinking machines recreate advanced computers better than the mentats - human computers - and the navigators that allow ships to once again fly through the universe without the control of the spacing guild but those movies if ever made are thousands of years after Dune).

My take is both movies have good and bad points but the 1980's version despite aging special effects is definitely superior, with better actors and some of the old movies special affects were actually better.

But no movie adaptation can compete with the book's and the book's will never be as good as Julian May's book's so forget dune (though it along with Flash (NOT FLESH) Gordon and Metropolis were ripped off by Star Wars, still I prefer star wars Tatooine and the idea of Spice from that universe which is mined and refined on another world to Herbert's vision even if he should rightly receive credit for his inspiration of parts of the Star Wars universe - before Disney murdered it - if you think this is Woke imagine that Kennedy and pals would do it at Disney).

To cut through all the cheese I have just spewed out, it as a movie is not without merit but also not very good, in fact the 80's version is indeed a far better movie and of course Sting got to play a bad guy and get murdered by that Twin Peaks actor in it as well (why won't his name stick in my mind he is just like one of those forgettable actors for some reason).

A far better movie could have been made in the Dune universe at the end of Paul Atreides reign when the Beni Tlelax and other's invade the Empire from outside it, the Beni Tleilax once began as Beni Geserit and are now something far different pitching the two warrior sisterhoods against one another with the Tleilax actually being the more powerful, it's the period when his book's got more action packed and the story's had more bite to them.

edit on 25-10-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: Redhead6971

What about the desert mouse. They got the mouse like 3 times in the movie. WTF...., a desert mouse.

Muad'Dib = desert mouse.

Seriously, dude, read the book.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: Redhead6971

What about the desert mouse. They got the mouse like 3 times in the movie. WTF...., a desert mouse.

Muad'Dib = desert mouse.

Seriously, dude, read the book.

Oh...., I got it. Thanks man.

The movie still sucks.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I read the book quite a few years before De Laurentis film and I was mightily disappointed. They cut that much out and if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't have known what was happening.
The book is a large book (that's Dune not the follow on books) like The Hobbit and to make that viable they had to spread it over 2 films.
The largest part they cut out of the first film was how Paul was "infected" by the spice and what it did to him, also his relationship with Chani. In the film Paul was OK one minute then
the nextwas the Kwisak Haderach. Hardly no explanation how he achieved that.
At least the new Dune is showing his transformation.
Have any of you noticed, in this first part, there is no Feyd Harkonen.
edit on 25-10-2021 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Hey before someone catches me out I made a mistake, the other sisterhood were called the New Sisterhood or something like that, they were basically just another group of Beni Gesserit that came from outside the known universe but were descended from exiled sisters sent out there long ago and were they had formed a new empire more powerful than the old one from which they had been exiled, they were more dangerous and more warrior like than the Beni Gesserit as well using a form of special martial arts that they had developed far beyond what the Beni Gesserit had but otherwise remaining very similar to them if now looking down on the older Beni Gesserit order as inferior and a competitor to there own goals, the Beni Tleilax despite the similar name were a group of isolationist genetic engineers whom had become something other than human.

Been literally about three decades since I read all those book's and then donated them to a charity shop.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

They are still debating who they think is most likely going to be playing him over in Youtube if the second part is made.

He was Paul's most dangerous opponent a Harkonin psychopath and a very intelligent and cunning adversary, more than the Baron's pet he may have been the next leader of house Harkonin had he survived the fight, the 1984 version with Sting playing the part was a bit too homoerotic for my taste (I would rather watch a cat fight ha) but nevertheless despite being skinny and almost void of muscle mass he played it really well, I would think they might get someone with a better build and since Paul by that point is also older perhaps replace him with an older actor or get the actor who plays him to either bulk up or get the CGI to make him look more muscular and tough.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Oh it was the same for me for the Batman movie that advertising was so wide spread it could have woken you up and said are you going to see Batman? All the toys and fast food chains already licensed hocking and selling merch nearly year before it's first screening even music videos.

I didn't actually sit down and watch it until three years or so ago.

:p

posted on Oct, 26 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ahh okay. I think it was due to the story focusing mostly on the Protagonist and his house.

The main character did say that the people only believe what they are told (by the bene gesserit).

By the end, you could see that the bene gesserit were playing some long game. But not much of the film was devoted to the other factions.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Watched it last nite.

Stick with the 1984 version.

Some of it was almost a carbon copy,until their woke changes.

And there was woke changes, with horrible acting,and characters that were totally unlikeable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join