It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My 16 year old daughter's homework.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 09:44 PM
link   
So my daughter comes home today and says she has to write a essay for English on Declaration of Independence or Freedom or slavery. She said when the teacher was showing the slide for freedom or slavery the background playing was a whip snapping. She said a handful of African American students walked out of the classroom. If this stuff is the norm now home schooling is looking pretty good. Hope Im not viewed as a domestic terrorist when I go to the school tomorrow and ask who ok'd this syllabus

10th grade homework

edit on 12-10-2021 by Enduro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Enduro

Perhaps they want her to say freedom is slavery duh.

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Are there two many "OR"s in your post?

Were there three possible topics; Declaration of Idependence or Freedom or Slavery.

Or

Was there one topic: Declaration of Independence - Freedom or slavery ... you decide?

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   
So tomorrow when your daughter goes back to class have her say out loud this quote from animal farm but make sure your daughter doesn’t tell the teacher who the author is. If the teacher doesn’t know what she is talking about I would advise you to ask for a different English teacher or for your daughter to be placed in an AP English class because that teacher is incompetent.

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”
George Orwell, Animal Farm
edit on 12-10-2021 by Brassmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Just 2. Declaration of independence and Freedom or Slavery

a reply to: dandandat2

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enduro
Just 2. Declaration of independence and Freedom or Slavery

I see thank you for the clarification.

Do you disapprove of these two topics?

Or was your post mostly in reference to the African American kids assumed disapproval of being asked to write an essay about slavery... or perhaps the sound of wips?
edit on 12-10-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I'm guessing that the "Freedom or Slavery" topic is in regard to Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death" speech, in which he claims either we fight the British or we acquiesce to slavery under Britain's monarchy....since its paired with the choice of doing an essay on the Declaration of Independence, not the Civil War.

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Might be , thanks for bringing that up. After reading about schools teaching CRT and gender maybe I jumped the gun.
a reply to: Sookiechacha

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think all history should be taught . Some of the stuff I have seen that is being taught though is unacceptable. Especially to younger children. Just my opinion but I think a lot of stuff being taught isn't about education but more or less how to divide people.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Inadvertently the kids leaving class have been somewhat homeschooled already.
Would've been righteous if the whole class had walked out.

Give her a nudge toward doing an essay on the articles of confederation...
On second thought don't, likely a failing grade for not following teacher's instructions. Who knows?

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Maybe she should write about slavery.

About how it was the US who emancipated slaves, not the British.

About how the black man rounded up, captured and enslaved millions more slaves than the white man ever did...and for their own profit too.

About how the current POTUS talked about refusing to send his children into the "jungle" when school segregation was at issue, a clear reference to the 'jungles' of Africa from whence the slaves originated.

About how the American Civil War was largely a result of southern states wanting to secede from the Union in order to protect and continue slavery, and the northern states wanting to abolish it.

About how the "Underground Railroad" ran north, not south.

About how the underpinnings of the democratic party stems from organizations like the KKK.

Boy, I'll bet that paper would get a guaranteed "F-" !!

edit on 10/13/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

but it wasnt just the US that emancipated slaves , yes they may have done so before great Britain, but eventually good people made sure that slavery ended in the empire.

as far as I remember it was Adam smiths book wealth of nations that put forward the arguement that free men will work harder if they were free as they were working for their own interests.

From the experience of all ages and nations, I believe, that the work done by free men comes cheaper in the end than the work performed by slaves. Whatever work he does, beyond what is sufficient to purchase his own maintenance, can be squeezed out of him by violence only, and not by any interest of his own

Pretty sad that in order to appeal to slavers you appeal to their pockets instead of their humanity.
It was argued that abolishing slavery at the time would have caused a power vacuum if Great Britain had ended slavery rapidly and other European empires at the time would have fought for dominance and as a result slavery would have likely got even worse.

Then William Wilberforce MP for Hull with abolitionist Thomas Clarkson were important figures in the abolition of slavery in the empire . Following that the famous case of James Knight and his freedom as a result with help from Lord Dundas as his counsel speaking in favor of his freedom. Then the high court in Edinburgh abolished slavery in Scotland.

its black history month , but it always comes down to slavery , there is so much more to black history than slavery
I personally enjoy the Songhai empire and africas age of gold.

I love learning about these old african civilisations

If you have time I also really love Bruce Fumey ,comedian , historian

edit on 13-10-2021 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

but it wasnt just the US that emancipated slaves , yes they may have done so before great Britain, but eventually good people made sure that slavery ended in the empire.

All due respect, but that point is irrelevant. The facts of the matter are that the US did in fact emancipate slaves prior to the British. What would have happened in the absence of this event is pure speculation. Going back to the American Revolutionary War, "Loyalists" were very pro-slavery owing to the large plantations in the south.

In the years which followed there may have been much talk on the subject, but seemingly the status quo was acceptable to the Crown. Once the slave trade was abolished in the US other countries followed suit.

In any case, yes, the British did eventually stop the practice of slavery, but by this point there was considerable outside pressure to do so.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I know its irrelevant to the History of the US and the OP's daughters assignment
but I was speaking in general about slavery in the world

the fact of the matter is Adam smith published the wealth of nations in 1776 and would have still convinced many by their pockets to end slavery.
edit on 13-10-2021 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Enduro

I think all history should be taught

Absolutely.

link

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

or how about some recent history

40 million slaves that are known about worldwide

Slavery still exists today

and here are some countries listed that have slaves

Countries that still have slaves

I guess the biggest take away from this , is that if we dont learn from history we are doomed to repeat it
and repeat it we most certainly do.

We arent learning we are just on a loop, with better technology and better ways to disguise the abhorrent practice of slavery.

but thats just the ones we know of , then there are millions probably that go unnoticed and undocumented
sneaked away in underground tunnels and boats to private islands etc

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: loveguy
Inadvertently the kids leaving class have been somewhat homeschooled already.
Would've been righteous if the whole class had walked out.

Give her a nudge toward doing an essay on the articles of confederation...
On second thought don't, likely a failing grade for not following teacher's instructions. Who knows?

Good idea, but she could easily do it and follow the instructions, since the AoC came after the DoI, and BEFORE the Constitution of the USA. Just start with the DoI (and what lead up to it), then end with the Articles...

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
About how the American Civil War was largely a result of southern states wanting to secede from the Union in order to protect and continue slavery, and the northern states wanting to abolish it.

Yeah, except thats really not true.

The civil war was initially about the economic policies being dictated by the northern controlled congress that was enactig all kinds of policies that were very favorable to the north and very detrimental to the south. Slavery played a small part, but was hardly the promary issue.

At least, not until the PC crowd rewrote the history of the civil war.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The information you provided is simply not enough to form a conclusion.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Perhaps the whip sound was a bit much. . . .
When we watched a VHS about Nazi concentration camps bulldozing victims into trenches we didn't have squishing noises. All the chicks were crying but no one walked out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join