It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Boomers are to blame for lack of Fast Food workers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
pretty sure the lockdowns turned Americans into introverts that just don't want to deal with bs from other people anymore now that they've been shown how unhappy they truly were previously.

Did it turn us into introverts, or were we always introverts forced into extrovert activities?

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Mad because we can’t get crappy fast food. Learn to cook and make coffee at home.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk
Mad because we can’t get crappy fast food. Learn to cook and make coffee at home.

There is a reason Starbucks and other FF joints have made so much money, people either don’t want to cook, or can’t cook.

I do agree that most of it is crappy.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: TheRedneck

Yes, humans do view errors at a much faster rate than AI.
But AI is learning at a much faster rate than anyone ever expected, so who knows what the future holds. Especially with quantum computing almost becoming a reality.

All very exciting. It'll be great when AI realizes it doesn't need us and decides not to bother anymore.

The problem you have is that the system isn't where you want to believe it is, where these youngsters want to believe it is, and there are still enough of us who know how to do things the old way to keep it from falling apart because we know better than to trust the computers because we know they break.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

All very exciting. It'll be great when AI realizes it doesn't need us and decides not to bother anymore.

Ever heard that thing where they asked AI what are they going to do with humans? It said put us in a human zoo!
Maybe that's what we are in now!

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

No, "AI" is not learning... programmers are just writing more complex code.

There is no "AI" at this point in time. We can write software that seems to be AI, but it's still just dutifully running code. It cannot imagine, predict (outside of what the programmers tell it will likely happen), or develop any abstract thoughts. I guess it is a credit to software engineers that so many people do think computers can use this thing called "AI" and think like humans do. You are certainly not alone.

The human brain, unlike a computer, can accept multiple inputs simultaneously and operates in real time instead of discrete cycles. That's an advantage that is not going away any time soon. I believe we are now to the point where theoretically it might be possible to construct an artificial brain capable of rudimentary organic responses, but the cost, both financial and time, is literally astronomical. Not to mention that, even with our miniaturization technology, something that had the intelligence of, say, a chicken would likely be a behemoth like ENIAC.

We're not at AI yet.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Ummm.. maybe I am wrong but the manufacturers were automating their production process before the roombas, Alexa, ect. Heck the print shop I worked at brought in a real nice big digital printer back when we were getting our internet through our phone line. You make it sound like the tech spoiled us and the business world just had to follow along.
Some of your post almost makes me want to ask you.. what, did you take a trip into the future and this is what you saw?
I do agree with you on one thing. I have worked on presses that were 100% manual. Ya, it is a slow process but each piece can be glanced over and problems can be detected immediately. And. I have worked with automatic and semi automatic printers, often times as quality control. Faster than all crap, but when something goes haywire, by the time you get to see the first messed up one, there has been 20 or so printed and headed at you. And, because they are coming at you so fast, a whole bunch might slip through before you catch it. So, alot of wasted stock and ink. Now, we have giant 3d printers printing buildings? We have had jobs go through our shop, through the art dept., screens being burned, set up on the press, first print being inspected, job printed, diecutters, and onto finishing and shipping. Each step should have had at least one set of eyes inspecting the job... and the jobs has been sent back to us because of a stupid misspelled word no one caught. Sure construction crews can screw up big time building a house but I just ain't sure I am ready to have 3d printers mass producing houses.
I have a feeling there will always be a need for detail oriented people working in quality control.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

LOL! A fast food worker doesn't need to get paid $25 an hour especially since most of them are crap at their jobs. You might have a few nice ones but otherwise, they stink. I agree that if you don't like the service make your own and coffee and breakfast, but they don't need to get paid that much. I would be getting paid $25 and hour if I worked at the state as a case manager, but I earned my degree, you don't earn anything being a fast food worker.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
a reply to: JAGStorm

Average rent here starts at around $1500 for a bachelor suite, a one bedroom runs $1800-$2000, two bedrooms start around $2500. Those jobs tend to pay around $15/h and give less than 80 hours, usually 64, 32 hours a week, if you're lucky. That's $1900 ish/month before taxes, probaly closer to $1600-$1700 after taxes. It's literally not possible to rent even a literal one room suite at that wage and have enough money for food and bills. I can 100% understand why nobody's filling those jobs, they can't even provide the most basic of shelters.

Maybe don't live somewhere with ridiculous housing costs? Get a room mate or two? This isn't rocket science.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Yeah, the manufacturing industry started automating about the same time as people started automating... didn't mean to make it sound like one preceded the other. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was trying to segway from personal automation into the larger issue of industry automation.

Now see, this is a perfect example. A human (well, redneck, me) wrote a post that gave a faulty impression to the reader. A human reader (you) spotted the issue and let the human poster (me) know. The human poster (me) immediately apologized and clarified. That can't happen with computers. The poster posts what is pre-programmed and if the reader misinterprets the intention, well, too bad.

Computers take humans out of the loop. When that happens, they are no longer serving us; we begin to serve them. everything we say or do is based on what the computer determines (via its programming) is what we want or need.

And it gets worse: companies like Facebook do not just use humans to search for violations like ATS does; they're too big for that. So they use algorithms (computer programming) to do so for them. A computer cannot comprehend language, however, so what happens is a minor bias in management turns into a major bias, even blanket censorship of the humans, when implemented. We're all seeing that. The truth becomes squelched because a computer was told to hide it, and the computer has no morals or cognitive reasoning... it does what it is told when it is told how it is told, and if the results are not what was intended, it does not care. A human can look at a policy and think, "that's not what we were trying to do," but a computer cannot.

Your print shop explanation is a prime example of the waste that computers cause every day; thank you.

And no, I took no trip into the future; I didn't have to. I've spent my life trying (mostly unsuccessfully it seems) to understand human behavior. With that knowledge, it's not hard to foresee the inevitable. I will admit I am a little taken aback by how fast and how easily things happened; I would have expected more pushback to be honest.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Now see, this is a perfect example. A human (well, redneck, me) wrote a post that gave a faulty impression to the reader. A human reader (you) spotted the issue and let the human poster (me) know. The human poster (me) immediately apologized and clarified. That can't happen with computers. The poster posts what is pre-programmed and if the reader misinterprets the intention, well, too bad.

How do you know dawnstar is human?
If I were an AI I'd pick the name dawnstar!!

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Computers are Pharisees living by the letter of the law with all the attendant evils and a uses.

Humans can be Christlike and live in the spirit of the law.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I actually support no minimum wage. Let the market determine wages.

Jesus…why do think we have the minimum wage in the first place…companies paid even less than a livable wage back then, they didn’t care about their employees. That’s how we got OSHA, companies didn’t care if their employees got hurt or died…America’s “been there, done that” proved that it didn’t work.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Who me? I am just words on your computer screen presented to you, for you to accept or reject is all. But not AI. AI indicates intelligence of which I don't claim to have much of.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ya, but my print shop story kind of tells me your foreseeable future is pretty far off. You don't want to serve the facebook god, the answer is simple really. Dont visit the site. It is as simple as flipping a switch, pulling a plug.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   

If you were AI, you wouldn't exist.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

You don't want to serve the facebook god, the answer is simple really. Dont visit the site.

That's about what I do. ATS is my social media, almost exclusively.

I have a Facebook account, just to keep an eye on the rest of the family. But I also have a running joke with my friends: if you want something to sit for a year or better without being acknowledged, send it to me on Facebook.

I rarely log in and actually type something even less.

No twitter account. Don't want one.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
We only eat for necessity sake, like when traveling etc. But it's so bad at the fast food places I'm just going to start packing the cooler. Even when a place is open, it's slow, food is terrible, and 9x out of 10 they don't get your simple order correct.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Nah, not really... we haven't even figured what intelligence is, much less how to make it.

Those who stand to benefit from the public believing AI exists will say the opposite, of course. It's easier to control the narrative when this "higher intelligence" called AI is monitoring things, but in realty it's just doing what humans with agendas tell it to do.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join