It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Boomers are to blame for lack of Fast Food workers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
Where do you get that it is the boomers who are expecting servants waiting on them hand and foot?
The complaining lady in the op doesn't sound like a boomer if she is complaining that the boomers aren't fulfilling the "obligation" she believes they have to teach her kids a decent work ethic! And, where are the managers, thought part of their role was to train their employees! We did our time in the workplace and we raised our kids, they are beyond the "entry level" point.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
And why is housing too high? A couple reasons: first, the people who own the housing are greedy. Those rental rates are intended for people who can afford them, and that's not a huge segment of the population. Most people who can afford rent like that will wind up buying a house. Secondly, when did housing go from being a warm, dry place to live in to an oversized, overpriced mini-mansion? The houses that are going for those high prices are typically many times nicer than what people used to have.

[...]

But every house I see going up is a couple thousand square feet, with plenty of corners and angles to make it aesthetically pleasing, fully landscaped, and overpriced for what the average person can afford. So why are contractors not building smaller, cheaper housing? Because they are greedy too! And the older, smaller housing that is left can command higher prices because the number of such houses is steadily decreasing.

We have to get back to a sustainable lifestyle. One cannot live in luxury while working at a job that requires zero training. We need more housing that is small, affordable, and just a warm, dry place to live.

TheRedneck

A lot of those smaller homes are also getting sucked up by corporate landlords for rental. Least around here.

When we wanted to downsize from our home to a condo, we thought it would be easy to find something around 1200 sq feet. A little newer and more modern. Something for retired folks.

HAH!!!!!!!
Most of the condos we found were either converted apartments....Yuck!
Or---minimum---1400 square feet with a basement of equal size. Hardly downsizing.
That is a lot of house to furnish!!!
We finally did find one to our liking, but we thought we'd have more choices. A lot more.

We also noticed when looking at this monster places for sale....many had very little furniture.
Go figure.

And how in the world do 2 people need that much space?
Even if they want a spare bedroom for guests......

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Me Boomer, me bad.
Bad Boomer, bad.
They can just gtfo…..seriously.

PS, f stands for “flip”.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

When I grow up Imma gonna be a Walmart greeter!
hey hey…

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Imagine a job, a job that requires NO education NONE.
A job where you can rise to the very top on hard work and with God given brains.
Imagine a job where you can make $25-$30,000.00 for ten days work.
Now imagine the employers who offer these jobs are crying, crying for workers.
Can you image such a job being a real thing?

It’s very real and this job can be found only miles from my house.
Imagine that for a second…..

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If pay checks are geared to age, race, gender, 'education' . . .
then there's something unethically wrong big time.
$ needs to be for the work and quality of work done.
(difference between communism and democratic society)

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

LOL...imagine having to make your own cup of coffee at home....the horror!

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Help is on the way...

@disclosetv
NEW - U.S. prepares for a potential "worst-case scenario" in which up to 400,000 migrants could cross the border in October if a Covid restriction that has blocked most migrants for almost 2 years is lifted Thursday (NBC)
1:33 PM · Oct 1, 2021

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Boomers aren't filling the positions anymore.
Therefore they are expecting the younger generations to fill the jobs they left vacant. Luxuries like fast food and sit down chain restaurants, laboring jobs, etc.

As I explained in my first post younger generations are seeing right through the bs jobs. And only the old generations are complaining. Times are changing.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Younger generations = Americans who won't do jobs.

Most all of us who have the kinds of jobs those younger Americans covet started with the jobs those younger Americans are convinced are beneath them. What they don't understand is that none of us wanted to stay in those jobs either, but we understood that they were necessary for us to prove that we were worthy as reliable, stable, dependable employees.

No one hires someone green for 6 digits unless that employee is Chelsea Clinton.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I agree with the housing thing. I work in a lot of new construction and yeah the prices these people are paying and their expectations are ridiculous compared to their actual level of wealth. Thing is though, the people running business and employing people here also typically own at least one house they rent out at those high rates, while also paying low wages, then complain about a lack of employees and their ability to find renters...prices for everything have gone up drastically, but wages for many jobs, not just McDonald's type jobs have remained at 2015 or earlier levels. Wages are the only thing not increasing while everything else is.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Times are changing.
Do I agree with the direction they're going? Not really... but that's reality.
You need to get more on touch with what the youth want and want to build.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: ketsuko

Times are changing.
Do I agree with the direction they're going? Not really... but that's reality.
You need to get more on touch with what the youth want and want to build.

Why? Just because they're young doesn't make them any wiser or smarter or better than you and I were when we were their age and thought we knew everything.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Boomers in this thread virtue signaling what life was like back when they were kids and teens ... all so tiresome.

Then don't read it. Simple enough? Better to wallow in ignorance than read tiresome reality, amirite?

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Back before thee turn of the century, I drew house plans for people. I could design a small house with plenty of amenities that could be built cheaply.... the key is to set the sizes to use as much of the materials as possible. You pay for what you have to buy whether it is part of the finished house or taking up space in a dumpster somewhere.

Those kind of plans never sold. People wanted the large, customized, "Hey! Look at me!" curbside appeal, and the cost was not much of a consideration. So I gave the people what they wanted, all the time realizing that they were spending this vast sum of money for something they would barely see, much less get to enjoy, because they would be working so much trying to pay for it.

What we need is a return to simpler homes, and on that note I think the "tiny home" idea is one whose time has come. I can design a small apartment of "tiny homes" that could be built for a very low cost, be comfortable, war, and dry, and rented out for a fraction of what people pay today.

But there's no one who wants to build them, and no one who is willing to stoop to their own level and buy/rent them.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Why should the boomers be complaining? We know how to make coffee, and cook even.

Maybe us older folks just don't see risking being beaten or shot over some stupid mask or contracting a deadly virus worth the measly check? Or heck, maybe all your aged fast food workers are missing because they already contracting the virus and are six feet under.

There is one thing I will agree with you though...

These jobs aren't worth the time and effort employees put into them. although, they might teach you young ones enough to know how to make your own hamburger and coffee!

By the way, the same thing is happening in the trade occupations. The boomers are retiring and the younger generations are expected to take over those jobs also. I would prefer they go after the trade jobs.

edit on 3-10-2021 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Well, historically a lot of retired or elderly people USED to take those jobs. It was a great way to supplement retirement income for those who hadn't saved enough or for those who just want to keep being productive.

Boomers are retiring now, so while they WERE taking those jobs they are now not in huge numbers.

Shes partially correct about the staffing issue being related to boomers, but she's ignorant as to WHY. i.e., they already DID those jobs and are now done.

Some did. Some took jobs because they did not want to completely sit still as they had no money to retire to a island or g o on a world trip. This around i suspect it is because if the current gen or anyone else takes a fulltime job and thus surpassed 10 hours a week then they don't get the Coof handout moneys.

This entire covid thing has been thought out and designed to kill the entire economy.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I would love to have one. Even a small efficiency around here would stress out my budget I am afraid. And, it seems they cost as much as two bedrooms, sometimes more. Unfortunately, i don't think they are legal here. Maybe some day...

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

At most, a fast food job was only good to supplement another income. Be it to meet the requirements for welfare, supplement social security, or supplement the husband's income.
Well, more seniors died from covid than any other group probably. Can't blame them for avoiding contact with lots of strangers. And the welfare and wives, well they are probably mostly moms relying on schools or daycare centers to supervise their kids while they work. They found themselves home, playing teacher instead of working. They wouldn't have gone back to work and leave their kids unattended anyways..

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I have one here that i designed long, long ago which I nicknamed the "doll house." Two stories with six rooms: downstairs has a kitchen/dining combo and a living room with a half-bath; upstairs is two bedrooms with a full bath between them. It has two full-height bay windows on the front and a full one-story porch. Every stick of lumber was calculated to reduce waste and every square inch of space is used (including the area under the stairs). I even bragged one could build this house and carry the waste material off in a small wheelbarrow.

At one time, I started a special highly-detailed set of plans aimed at the do-it-yourselfer. I had cutting diagrams for every board and isometric views showing where each piece went; it was literally an instruction book instead of just a set of plans (although standard plans were included). Alas, I never finished it.

I also at one point entertained the idea of creating a housing development based on that design. Small lots, just big enough for the house, a driveway, and a small fenced back yard. They could even be constructed as townhomes, and I thought about making a section based on that too. Unfortunately I never took that idea any further either; land was just too expensive to get me excited enough about it. Now, I doubt i ever will. Maybe someday my son will decide to spring for it; I'm just too old and broke down to give a damn now.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join