It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh my Gee, I LOVE this song!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Have you ever heard someone say that? A song intro starts in radio, and someone reacts as if it's the greatest musical achievement of the whole Universe.

Oh, you love this song? Then it must be something great! I now have the perfect right to expect twists and turns, unexpected structural changes, interesting chords and unorthodox-and-yet-amazingly-good-sounding chord+bass-combinations (I actually experienced this recently, and I was in awe as to how the composer had put the bass in 'wrong' place several times, that doesn't fit the chord at all, and should create awful 'discord' sound in the ears, but yet it somehow works perfectly for the song, and because of the structure, it sounds marvellous - I could never do something like that!).

Perhaps there will be a touch of fusion jazz, progressive rock, some kind of inspired, interesting, inspiring, soul-caressing awesomeness - perhaps some kind of 1980s energy combined with amazing synth instrument with unique-and-exciting-sweeps going on while a super-skilled player is blessing us with aural marvel of the explorational and massively vast kind!

Your imagination goes wild, thinking of Mozart's best structures, the most complex classical techniques, violin prodigies playing Paganini really fast, out-of-this-word drummers just unshamed to display their ridiculously admirable talents, skills and years of honed practice - there is going to be a musical masterpiece of cosmic proportions, and your ears are finetuned in preparation to receive this magical marvel of musical masterpiece! Your mind and brain sharpen their detection skills to be able to fully appreciate the complex, yet melodic - the structurally almost insane - and yet completely sound, the energetically explosive, and yet euphoric aural art, and you almost stop breathing in anticipation for the most wonderful, the most exciting, the most sublime experience of your whole lifetime - this is what you have been waiting for all your life, perhaps decades!

No amount of listening to 1970s progressive rock or the best classical music, the most amazing violin techniques, the most melodic and structurally surprising 1980s new wave, pop, rock, or even at unorthodox and quirky things like genius-composed old computer musics can have prepared you for the gourmet meal for your ears, the best possible song that can exist, bring it on, it's going to fulfill you in so many levels and layers, you will probably become enlightened on the spot while levitating while astral projecting yourself out of this physical realm and live in a timeless limbo for thousands of years in pure euphoria and bliss, you will..!!..

Oh.

It's a simple, crappy, modern pop rock song with three chords, lots of distorting heavy guitars, clichéic melody you've heard 900 000 times before, and the most banal, pandering, stupid, misandristic lyrics you've ever heard. It's a typical, soulless factory production of the most mediocre 'best-selling' aural diarrhea, and from the first two seconds, you can sadly predict the whole song. The lyrics repeat, repeat, repeat the same thing over and over - and that repeated thing is the stupidest, most over-used cliché trope anyone has ever used.

The lyrics repeat. They repeat.

The simple three-chord structure with two-note melody (that at one point dips to a third note - HOW IMPRESSIVE!) repeats.

The simple three-chord structure with two-note melody (that at one point dips to a third note - HOW IMPRESSIVE!) repeats.

Then the song goes to some kind of weird slow mode to bring another cliche for a few seconds, so the lyrics can finish the corny, cringy stupidity they started with, what seems like an eternity ago. Your ears are actually bleeding from sheer pain, even though the volume is not particularly loud. Ears are not particularly intelligent part of your body, but even they can't stand this much stupidity, and they try to escape your head.

The most astonishing thing .. OH, WAIT, THIS IS THE GOOD PART!!11

You are ready to tear your hair out while jumping through the window of a four-story building, desperately searching for an escape. Your brain is almost in a coma, trying to shut down so it could also escape in some way, but at the same time, you're trying to come up with an excuse - ANY excuse will do - just to get out of the situation and the room. I have to go shoot my dog. My boss decided to do an intervention and I forgot I have to be there. There's an extra shipment of chocolate bunnies coming in and I have to melt them so everyone can swim in them.

It's not even the song, or its simple, heard-it-all-before SO MANY TIMES-type stupidity. It's not even the nerve or gall of the stupid corporation that decided we need another one of _THOSE_.

It's not even the establishment, radio channel, TV show or movie that decided, THAT is the song we should play.

It's that anyone, even a fictional character, can EVER say those words and yet mean the most ridiculously banal, anti-climactic, awful torture for not only the ears, but for the soul, mind, and body. It's how anyone can make that kind of INSULT to music, to people who understand music even a little but, to anyone that knows where music COULD go, but in the superficial fast-food-world, never dares go even near.

It's like you can imagine music going to really cool and interesting places not traversed by many, a song could perform awesome twists and turns and structural changes, it could feel like an explorational adventure into the most euphoric and cosmic proportions, but because 'money' and 'stupid people', what passes as 'music', and is 'beloved by many' - especially the MOST successful music of these times, is just something that Mozart wouldn't even fart at, because it would be an insult to the fart.

What the F is wrong with people?

I have so many things to rant about, and this is on the lighter side, but hey, even a grumpy visitor has to sometimes take a vacation.

By the way, did I mention the song REPEATS?!

Look, how stupid it looks when someone repeats things in text. This post looks probably really annoying and cringy as the result. I just wanted to both experiment with it and show that it's JUST as stupid in music and songs, but somehow people don't seem to mind.

I never understood repetition in music, melodies, structure or lyrics. Why is it there? To program people because sub-conscious responds to repetition?

I never liked it, I always hated it, and although I sometimes did it myself, especially when doing 'cover songs' of originals, and kind of 'succumbing to the expectation' (and of course THOSE songs people rewarded me for, sigh), I don't ever want to do it again.

I know there are only twelve notes, but..

edit on 14-9-2021 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoujikina

WHERE IS THE GOSH DARN SONG, MAN.

(to Paraphrase hunter, badly)

I'll add one for you..

Buy me a coffee, later. ahhahhahha ha haa hahahhhaaa

edit on 14-9-2021 by jerich0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   

(I REALLY hate these word limitations! Why can't I just post a rant and be on my way? Why do I have to stop and start another post just so this forum's word limitation will be happy? DAMNIT, stop artificially limiting people's expression when it's just text! Text takes the LEAST amount of space of all data, so why limit THAT?)

So, as I was saying, I know there are only twelve notes, and there's only so much you can do with it, but so much wonderful stuff has already been done musically, you don't really need to repeat.

It's like 'artificially lengthening' something when you have run out of ideas. Computer games used to do this a lot, and still do. There's always an added grind, a maze, or some other way of 'artificial lengthening', when the game itself would otherwise be 'too small' or 'too short'.

Movies do this, too, with excessive slow motion or some kind of filler material, but I HATE filler, I want just the core content and that's it.

I want just the melody ONCE, and that's enough. I don't need to hear it again and again over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again.

From now on, I want to compose ONLY music that gives the listener something new all the time. Nothing is repeated. If you miss a melody the first time, you can always listen to the song again, I am not going to repeat it for you. I especially noticed this repetition-stuff that wastes the listener's time and thus becomes an insult (but people don't care for some reason), when a friend of mine always repeated their melodies so much it became a real nuisance.

In any case, as I was explaining earlier, it's not really even the corporate greed and all that evil crap, it's that people are STUPID enough to think _THAT_ is a good song, and people are childish, immature or just imaginationless (or non-creative) to choose _THAT_ as the 'song they love'. Have they NOT heard actually good music? Have they no brain to analyse the music and realize it's just relying on the 'most commercial chords' and 'most successful chord structure' and has NOTHING innovative, imaginative, original, creative or good about them? Have they NOT heard those exact, stupid, banal, corny lyrics before?

As always, this rant really is about the stupidity of this planet's inhabitants.

It's always shocking to me, not only how STUPID they are, but how LOW they are. This is so hard to explain, but it's like they have never experienced anything good, and they worship turds. It's like there's a whole WORLD of wonderful food out there, and they worship rotten oatmeal or something. It boggles the mind.

Also, the 'low' I mean - which is so hard to explain - has to do with SO many other things, I can never rant about it adequately (though I have like 20 rants about it going on inside of me right now), but this 'OMGILOVETHISSONG!!1'-phenomenon is just one manifestation or expression of that 'lowness' (there's really no proper word for it) I am talking about.

When you look at people of this planet in your daily life, do you see wise people? Do you see philosophers and creative, humorous, life-loving, wise and happy individuals? Do you see daring people that boldly explore and experiment, who appreciate nature and who think about the Universe, Karma, other planets and different dimensional realities every day?

What do you see when you look at your fellow Terra-dwellers..? Be honest.

I see a bunch of drab-dressed conformist cellphone-zombies that live in the MOST superficial world, state, level and way possible. They can't be alone with their thoughts for one second, the rectangle is ALWAYS RIGHT THERE in their hand, ready to immediately bring a distraction or entertainment so they wouldn't have to face reality or their immediate surrounding even for one second.

They dress in such drab, conformist, predictable clothing, it's actually shocking to think how people have historically dressed, when now it's ALL just black hoodies and whatnot. I was looking at identical people, dressed in identical clothes, doing identical things with their thumb during a really long bus drive. People wear caps and think it's somehow acceptable or cool. I can understand a farmer wearing a cap to protect them from the sun when they work on the field.

But a typical black hoodie-wearing, black mask-wearing (why did they even start making BLACK masks, and why do so many wear them - not that I understand why anyone even wears those things, but why black of all things? Are they trying to look like ninjas? Why never yellow, pink, multi-colored, textured, or Garfield-looking masks? It's just weird to me how much black people want to drape all over themselves, even their face - COLORS EXIST, we have the right to use and like them! People act as if we don't) 'dude' wearing a cap, when it's dark outside, I can never understand.

Yeah, I have so many rants inside of me, and this was supposed to be about one PARTICULAR aspect of people's stupidity and 'lowness', but I just wanted to show some other examples of what I really don't understand about these fear-incentivized, dull, drab cellphone zombies that probably don't even do any beauty-based creativity projects at home. And if they compose music, it's not gonna be delightful, exciting, inspiring, melodic or fusionjazzy - it's going to be something as dull as their clothes, as conformist as their masks, as mind-numbing as their cellphone-worship-lifestyle, and as virtue signaling as their 'look, I am doing the same thing everyone is doing, reward me, please'-attitude you see all over the place.

When you look at your fellow people, do you see worthy debate companions for Plato and Socrates? Do you see people taking heed of the spiritual message of the Oiled One? Do you see an elevated group of people that create masterful works of amazingly beautiful and colorful art, like Michaelangelo? Do you even see a humble, and yet expressive and delightful atmosphere-creating painters, like Bob Ross?

Look around and tell me what you see.. 2021's 'normal' is something so 'low' and awful, it would shock the heck out of Renaissance people, and it would make any genius of the past to want to kill themselves. Thankfully they're already gone, so they don't have to suffer this indignity and inhumanity. I don't see human beings anymore, I see walking piles of indoctrination and mind control, I see fear-based conditioning sitting down in a bus and staring at a rectangle while beautiful nature whizzes past them they will never notice. I see conformity and madness, acceptance of INSANE attitudes, like normalizing murder, and yet calling completely ethical and non-murderous things murder.. because someone said so.

I see ignorance of what humanity is, what life is and what it is not, nihilism, atheism, willing to murder your brother for the most trivial of reasons. I see unwillingness to explore what humanity COULD be for us all if people weren't such dumb, ignorant, stupid morons.

I don't like looking at people of this world anymore. The least I like hearing what music they like - it's never anything ACTUALLY good - even if it was something I don't like, or that would sound a bit bad to me, if it'd AT LEAST be 'objectively good', I wouldn't be so angry and frustrated about this. But nope, it's always 100% predictable corporate surface crap vomited through 'business decisions' without one iota of creativity in there anywhere.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I love a song that tells a story, a real story of a real life. I've written a few and am told that they are good. They always tell a story.

I coined a saying a few years back:

A good song tells a story. A great song tells your story

Here's an example of what I consider a great song, because the story is one that speaks to something that is in the heart of must ever human; the desire for roots, for belonging, and the sense of nostalgia for what once was, a return to memories of the past.

I understand what you're saying and I do enjoy well written, structured works, but when those - when done well - can appeal to some of the same sensibilities.

But, yes, most of what passes for music now is crap. And people, by and large, ñap it up. Another saying that I coined:

One of the greatest compliments that can be paid to a singer/songwriter is when Walmart doesn't sell their music.

ETA: That song, BTW, was written by Tom T. Hall. He passed away recently. The man was a master story teller. If you don't know of his work, check him out.

Here's another great one if his:

:
edit on 2021 9 14 by incoserv because: ETA.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jerich0

WHERE IS THE GOSH DARN SONG, MAN.

(to Paraphrase hunter, badly)

I'll add one for you..

Buy me a coffee, later. ahhahhahha ha haa hahahhhaaa

Seeing that video is like passing a bad wreck on the highway. You know you shouldn't look, but that primeval fascination with the macabre kicks in and you rubberneck.

I've heard that this video pretty much ruined that poor girl's life.

edit on 2021 9 14 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Where is the music? You wrote a song and I expected there to be music ...

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Addressed to whom?

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think it was Get Off My Lawn: The Musical.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   

And breathe.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Addressed to whom?

Didn't you hear it? The post was a song. Only the music was missing. I think the OP was trolling, OMG! I LUV THIS RANT.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Well, she is now a bipolar enti.. I mean bisexual person who accepts criticism as a way of moving forward in life!!

She did well, for being ridiculed in life.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Addressed to whom?

Didn't you hear it? The post was a song. Only the music was missing. I think the OP was trolling, OMG! I LUV THIS RANT.

A Rant song.
Heck yeah .

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Thanks for the links. I enjoyed that first one I have never heard. And am familiar with the second. Good stuff. Always enjoyed this one with a good story:

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shoujikina
I never understood repetition in music, melodies, structure or lyrics. Why is it there? To program people because sub-conscious responds to repetition?

I never liked it, I always hated it, and although I sometimes did it myself, especially when doing 'cover songs' of originals, and kind of 'succumbing to the expectation' (and of course THOSE songs people rewarded me for, sigh), I don't ever want to do it again.

I know there are only twelve notes, but..

It's a memory tool, to help you memorize the lyrics.

Here is a great piece of music. Even though there aren't many words to it it lasts longer than most modern pop music. I really enjoy Handel's Arias because a lot of them take quotes of Holy Scripture and really make them beautiful in music. This piece is just so regal and majestic with the blaring trumpet:

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 02:15 PM
link   
While on the subject of music lovers, of which I must admit I am a fervent one. I wake up listening to music, go throughout my day with music, and usually end the day with music, I was watching an interview of a fellow music lover and thought I'd share his experience with anyone interested:

Lover of Music

Skip to 30:40. I really enjoyed his experience and his sharing of his love of music.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Pretty sure it can all be traced back to the monster of the Baroque era known as Johann Pachelbel.

Honorable mention to Edvard Grieg, since he's been making a subtle comeback (though this example may not be subtle).

And second runner up to the jerk who came up with Neapolitan Chords, the chord progression basis for pretty much all music today: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

edit on 9/14/2021 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing typos.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I’m all for tunes tonight

But what song?

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I find Broadway songs to be boring, insipid, unmelodious... nothing that can grab your attention. Well, to be fair, it helps me put my attention elsewhere, so there's that I guess.

Chainsaws and guttural singyelling in Whateverisyourcupofjava Metal bores me to death, proving it is violent music...

I don't like every styles of music there is, obviously, but when I hear one that is good, whatever the style, I concede and enjoy. Except for the two mentionned above. iirrh Sorry to the Fans.

With 2 of my kids being in a high musical high school program, they are very critic and we listen to music from the last 200 hundreds years or so with pretty much equal enjoyment.

And sometimes, we hunt for the worst songs we can find, because constant awesomeness seems to be normal after a while, so we create a floor to compare.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It's funny you happened to post this today, I was out running an errand and a song came on in the store that was so bad I winced every time the "hook" repeated. And when I hoped he wasn't gonna sing those words again, he did. 12 more times. Music tends to bother me more than some people, my brain just has a hard time ignoring music, probably because I too was/am a musician for many years.
Sometimes, uniquely composed repetitive music is soothing to me as background music, but not with awful hooks and that 3 note garbage.

That was one heck of a rant by the way, I am impressed--and you have a lot of good points. A lot of the times I feel that way too about the people of this planet... I try not to let it bother me but some bad days it just gets the best of me. When that happens, I like to put on some real music to take my mind off of it. Good music is the best therapy for me.

Since you mentioned prog rock, here's a Rush instrumental not a lot of people seem to know about.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Rant song? This is kind of a rant song.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join