It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

78% of Covid deaths are obesity related. We have to face reality.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Nunyabizisit

Forcing everyone to survive on kale.

I'll eat a bullet before that happens!

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There's fat and there's fit. Big people are big people, but that doesn't mean they aren't fit. There are also people who are skinny as rails who are what is known as skinny-fat too. They may fit into size 6 or less, but they're unhealthy like crazy even so.

There is a guy who works for me that is pretty fat, but he can stand all day and not break a sweat, he also can do cartwheels. I joke with him that I'm going to open a chain of gyms call Fit Fat and you need to be over 30 BMI to join.
edit on 12-9-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: ketsuko

There's fat and there's fit. Big people are big people, but that doesn't mean they aren't fit. There are also people who are skinny as rails who are what is known as skinny-fat too. They may fit into size 6 or less, but they're unhealthy like crazy even so.

There is a guy who works for me that is pretty fat, but he can stand all day and not break a sweat, he also can do cartwheels. I joke with him that I'm going to open a chain of gyms call Fit Fat and you need to be over 30 BMI to join.

I saw your post after I made mine, I added an edit, but meh, last post on the page.

I'm just going to reiterate that those of you built like brick #houses are a completely different animal! "Deceptively fit" is very apt, most of the bigger, solidly built boys & girls out there I've known are strong as an ox, and ace every medical benchmark.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're nature's survival alternative.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Two important things about being overweight:
1. Overweight doesn't mean unhealthy.
2. Overweight isn't always people with no self control eating too much.

Bodies are all different. I like to compare metabolism with intellect. People can have similar numbers and appearances but the construct is completely different. I know people who are very overweight and in great health. And I know people who test well but are dumb as a box of hammers in real life settings.

Same thing for covid. People with no underlying factors get it and people with all kinds of problems don't.
edit on 12-9-2021 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yes, it's not about weight.

I got rid of the extra weight before I got back into shape. So I was sitting under 150 in the 140s when I started. All the clothes I had to buy to fit me when I was sitting in the 140s still fit me comfortably now although they're tighter in different places (across my shoulders, around my thighs). I've my time ramping up my workouts. I spend four nights a week practicing martial arts, and one morning in a strength class that's basically cardio calisthenics with weights.

I've put on enough weight in the intervening two years that I'm sitting right at 160 now at 5'8".

I'd be more worried about that ... *if* my clothing was getting tight, but it's not. It's still where it was, so I figure most of that extra weight is in muscle since I had virtually none to start with.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I wish they still had public service announcements like they used to, although, people (including me) don't watch TV so much anymore. But, something could be implemented to better inform the public. A brief 30-second spot that informs and educates, something similar to the "I'm Just a Bill" ditty that educated us about civics.

In times past, welfare recipients were limited to certain essential foods. Then, that changed, allowing them to choose how they wanted to spend their food stamps. They have choices and they don't always make the right ones.

Many people don't understand what a serving is or how to measure it. Many don't understand how to read the Nutrition Facts Label.

Many people don't know the difference in refined carbs and natural carbs.

Also, I have noticed that many people that are self-identified vegetarians are very overweight. What's up with that?

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

A lot of vegetarian foods that replace other things like meat and cheese are very processed like stuff that comes out of a box. I also think there is a certain mindset in some vegetarians, that they're vegetarian so they're automatically healthy, no matter what.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
LordAhriman:
“I'm retired at 41 years old, and I've posted pictures of myself on here. I'm 200 pounds of vaccinated muscle. What you got? Post a pic.”

I looked at your stuff, where is your buff pics exactly?
Man, I’ve met so many guys that spew like you do.
Bullies are usually cowards from my experience.
With all this said, one question please.
Why are you so angry?
You claim to be in great shape, have all the money you need in life yet you come here and what, play the ass?
I really don’t get it.
I’m all busted up and beached.
I don’t blame anyone for where I am in life, I put myself in the environment where I could get, as so many before me, so grievously injured or worse.
If I could, I’d without hesitation happily return to that same environment.
I’ve sure put on weight since leaving my prime far behind.
I know plenty of guys that were still buff at 41 but now in their mid 60’s, not so much.
I’m new here and have already made a couple of mistakes, maybe this is one as well.
I’m not here to crap on anyone but rather to have fun, interact, read fascinating opinions and theory's as well as hopefully peoples life stories.
I hope to educate and entertain anyone interested in things about the sea, commercial fishing but mostly I’m here to have fun and learn.
The obesity subject caught my eye and I’ve enjoyed the pushing and pulling quite a bit although I won’t rail “against” fat people.
I try to hang on too,
“there but for the grace of God go I”,
and I all too often fail miserably, as do we all.
I hope you find that thorn in your jeans, seems to need plucking in IMO.....
Cheers!

a reply to: LordAhriman

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: stuff

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Two important things about being overweight:
1. Overweight doesn't mean unhealthy.
2. Overweight isn't always people with no self control eating too much.

Bodies are all different. I like to compare metabolism with intellect. People can have similar numbers and appearances but the construct is completely different. I know people who are very overweight and in great health. And I know people who test well but are dumb as a box of hammers in real life settings.

Same thing for covid. People with no underlying factors get it and people with all kinds of problems don't.

I literally need to starve myself to lose weight and that is basically what I do, I fast for 4 days at a time. I feel really good doing it too.

Back when people were starving in some areas the ones to survived were the ones who had the most efficient metabolism rate, but today they are fat, but still many fat people is because they have crappy diets and don't do crap to exercise.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   
What causes morbid obesity? If you eat food chemistry that you cannot detox or utilize properly due to metabolic issues then the body stores it as fat till it can process it and excrete it. If you eat too much, the body sticks it into fat cells till the liver and kidneys can metabolize it correctly. If you eat too much of one food the same thing occurs. Fat cells do not just contain lipids, water based chemistries can be stored in them too. When you get sick, if the immune system cannot figure out how to fight the disease, it lets a lot of chemicals out of the fat cells by stimulating their release sometimes, which leads to a lot of toxins entering the bloodstream and hopefully killing the virus or microbes causing the problem.

Try to find the reason that you are getting fat. If you think eating a lot of cruciferous veggies are going to make you thinner, you are barking up the wrong tree. Too much of those goitrogens causes a problem to occur in the thyroid which means you will actually store more things in fat cells since the thyroid is being deprived of Iodine which is used to make thyroid hormones, hypothyroidism usually causes more stuff to be stored in fat cells.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   
From an earlier post I made here.

This obesity subject caught my eye and I’ve enjoyed the pushing and pulling quite a bit although I won’t rail “against” fat people.
I try to hang on too,
“there but for the grace of God go I”,
and I all too often fail miserably, as do we all.

I believe I know why this obesity OP so caught my eye.

Not long ago I had an appointment with a woman in our local social security office.
While I sat there waiting to be called two women entered and sat directly across from me.
To my horror, when one of them began to tell the other why she was there I realized they were not actually together.
She was an enormous black woman wrapped in lime green and orange spandex. She also had, of all things, high white spikes. I remember looking at them thinking, how do the spikes not snap off when she puts her full enormity down on them.
Looking up, she had hair that was dyed bright purple with weaved neon pink corn rows sticking up all over her head.
I am so glad I resisted the urge to video her!
She had begun to explain to this stranger, loud enough for the whole building to hear how her oldest child was nearing the age where it would no longer be able to receive SS checks.
Her solution had been to go out and get herself pregnant so she’d have no loss of income when the child was born. She also said, again, loud enough for the entire floor to hear, how she had no idea who the father was.
I know the people behind the glass could hear her, I saw them looking and gesturing. She did not care.
How is it no one came out and called her out for fraud?
Is this SS fraud? Purposely using a new born to receive benefits sure sounds like fraud to me.
And this poor newborn, what kind of a future does this poor innocent baby have before it?

Obesity is not a cause of the disease infecting this country it is a symptom. We can rail against obesity and countless other issues that point to the sickness that is raging in our society today but what’s the point.
There is only one way this gets fixed.
I for one look forward to one day being with God.
But that’s me, like it or not.
Everyone else can do or believe as they please.
This is after all, The Republic of The United States of America, who in God we trust. Right?!!!.....

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: words

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

That is a culture.

For some like that woman, getting pregnant is the means to independence even though it is, in fact, dependence of another sort.

And the people behind the glass are complicit inasmuch as their salaries and bonuses depend on people like her and the more of them they sign up, the better their own incomes and bonuses will be.
edit on 12-9-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It was incredibly sad and frustrating beyond belief to witness that!
You know, I don’t worry about me but when I look at the little ones, it’s painful.
In the grand scheme of things obesity is one the least of this country’s problems right now....IMO
A problem yes, but it seems we have much bigger fish to fry!

reply to: ketsuko

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I still use sugar,I use cane sugar for making my jams and
jellies.I use dark brown sugar when baking cookies and
snack cakes.One cup of brown sugar,not packed,will be
enough for baking one batch of cookies.I get 24 cookies
per batch.
Years ago I tried that Atkins diet and lost a lot of weight.
I was craving bananas really bad and gained back a pound
for every banana I ate.It is not a diet but a lifestyle change
that I couldn't keep.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Life is short, I say live it to the fullest.
If someone enjoys food, have at it says I.
An old salts wisdom.....

a reply to: mamabeth

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I will say that once when we were very first starting out and dirt poor. We did go to the local welfare office just to see if there was some kind of one-off assistance we could get because we were going through a particularly hard month and even just $100 would have helped immensely.

The lady at the desk was very frank. We didn't qualify for anything ... unless I was pregnant, and then I'd qualify for all of it!

My husband and I were aghast. We couldn't take care of ourselves reliably, but here she was asking us to bring in another person that we definitely wouldn't be able to take care of, and then we'd get it all?

1. It wasn't what we wanted.

2. How incredibly irresponsible of both her and the system as a whole!

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: drewlander
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Yes. And remove drive thru windows. Ban food delivery services.

Don't know if you are trying to be sarcastic, but that is an overreaction just like mandating vaccines. Punishing everybody because some can't control themselves, and Im not exactly skinny if you know what I mean

How about just tightening health standards and ingredients. Hell just cutting carbonated sugar beverages sizes would be a huge difference. That was the first key when I started losing a lot of weight. Hell at the theater you can get a large Coke and it will have 3 days worth of sugar allowance in one 2 hour drink.

Because yes it's our number one correctable problem, especially if TPTB threw the kind of jack they have thrown at this COVID of course big pharma isn't gonna get behind a health kick now are they? Nor would the fast-food moguls. So there really isn't any faction politicians will actually listen too behind this

Or how about the government subsidizing healthier alternative restaurants and drive-throughs.

Or how about individuals worry about them selves? And the government effs off?

We all know that'll never happen though.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It can all be so very frustrating when dealing with any government agency.
This is a subject I could go on and on about.
The stupidity I have had to personally deal with during my work career was absolutely mind-boggling!
Since this OP is about obesity I really don’t want to slide the thread.
I’m new and can’t start a thread yet but if you’d care to start one regarding this subject I’ll gladly jump in and I expect many others will as well.

Be well....!!!

a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Oh, it's been hashed over, and yes, I know. My husband works in what's called international regulatory affairs meaning he deals with the regulatory bodies of foreign nations when it comes to making sure product crosses the "t's" and dots all the "i's" so to speak.

Yes, bureaucrats who regulate industry can be incredibly ignorant of how those industries operate and lack even the most basic knowledge.
edit on 12-9-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I’m talking about the commercial off shore fishing industry.
An industry you find few obese people in....😁
i’ve begun to tell stories. Can’t think of any that involve obese people offshore though. It really just is not seen.
Man-killing work does not produce fat people, incredibly muscular people yes. Obese, nooooo
a reply to: ketsuko

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join