It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Batman's Story Would Be More Powerful and Very Different If Bruce Wayne Was Black

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Never mind the fact that in North American/Western Culture wars you have the North American direct market is collapsing.
So now in the Western Media of entertainment they want original characters that were originally white now they want Bruce Wayne race swapped.

It seem it doesn't matter that considering there already is another mostly successful comic with a black led character and that is by Marvels and the Black panther.

But Race swapping other characters to push a political pov is getting lazy. What makes them believe that race swapping characters is going to be a good idea?

Probably Changing a 50+ year lore for POVs? has it become such a hard problem for the western markets to make their own original characters?

Batman's Story Would Be More Powerful - and Very Different - If Bruce Wayne Was Black

The origins of Batman have been explored and retconned ad nauseam over the past 70 years. But for all the countless angles that have been taken and Elseworlds tales told of Bruce Wayne's origin, few have asked what Batman might be to Gotham City if he was not the son of an endlessly privileged rich, white family. Although DC has flirted with the idea of a Black Batman on a few occasions, the idea of a Black Bruce Wayne is something that still remains largely unexplored.

edit on 4-8-2021 by HawkEyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkEyi

Original artists are no longer entitled to their depictions it seems... I find it rather fascinating when I put modern day super heroes under the analysis as if I was reading ancient mythology. It's almost evolving organically outside it's original inception and creation much like how I imagine ancient mythology to have formed.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Why do they not just make their own character?

I suspect that it is because writing requires actual talent, whereas stealing other people’s work and changing their skin colour requires none.

Oddly enough though i think Bruce Wayne/Batman would probably be the same guy if he was black. Since his life experiences, personality etc, would be the same. Shockingly people are not actually defined by their skin colour. Assuming Batman doesn’t become some racist caricature that exists solely to virtue signal, as is often the case in these things.

If i were to be struck by a cosmic ion storm in the night and woke up as a black man i wouldn’t actually be a different guy. Might get a shock in the mirror though.

These people seem racist to me.
edit on 482021 by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Back in December DC announced they would be doing a "Black Batman".

It seems strange to me that instead of either using a "Black" character already in their arsenal or creating another new one, it's more important to makeover the Batman / Bruce Wayne story with a black actor?

What are they trying to prove? It seems demeaning to whatever-the-character-they-are-trying-to-create's story arc to reuse Batman just to tell a story from a "Black Perspective". It seems to me that they could tell a much better story without shoe-horning it into a previous storyline.

I'd rather have an all-new character with an all-new personal storyline.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka
Exactly why I don’t watch hardly any Television or movies. There is rarely anything original produced anymore. If you look at all the big budget movies anymore it’s just regurgitated super hero crap.

Ongoing Television shows haven’t been good for a long time with very few exceptions and most of the exceptions are short miniseries or documentaries.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

What are they trying to prove? It seems demeaning to whatever-the-character-they-are-trying-to-create's story arc to reuse Batman just to tell a story from a "Black Perspective".

Probably political POV. I had seen a ridicules argument from some pro comic western creators stating that in today's society you cant have a character that is white or straight.

I am not sure to whom then are they trying to make these virtue signalling comics when considering even the audience that they are trying cater to doesn't want it.

It seems today in the West that they only push about racial issues or background not the traits/stories of the characters.. In Asian markets their comic/graphic novels and books dont look down on their audiences or readers.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   
and to think they could have had Sidney Poitier 👀

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:40 PM
link   

But for all the countless angles that have been taken and Elseworlds tales told of Bruce Wayne's origin, few have asked what Batman might be to Gotham City if he was not the son of an endlessly privileged rich, white family.

Taking the racist inclusion of "white" out of the above quote for a moment, how in the blue hell *could* Batman be "The Batman" without being extremely wealthy? The character's entire essence revolves around a ceaseless flow of cutting edge gadgets used to tilt the field in his favor against the Rogue's Gallery. Could a Batman outfitted with a utility belt cobbled together on an average or even poor man's resources stand any chance whatsoever against Ras-al-gul or the Joker? Batman's strength isn't found in any sort of super power, it's entirely in his bank account... take that away and you've just got a man, which is uncompelling for a superhero narrative.

I sort of "get" why we're seeing race swaps, gender swaps, etc in established superhero characters. The primary reason is a combination of the absence of creativity in the entertainment industry, the need for instant gratification (read: PR and money) that doesn't happen with a brand new character that has to experience a period of public recognition prior to making the big money, and of course blunt virtue signaling from all things media related.) but this only works when the character retains their base super power... Transvestite Superman is still in possession of his Kryptonian powers, so the underlying strength of the character is still there. I just don't see any way for middle income/poverty stricken Batman to be even remotely Batman, black, white, or other...

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I've never met a black man named Bruce.
I see they are also working on a black Superman also (HBO)

Please stop converting old hero's and create new hero's for these agenda driven drivel.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So does Batman come from the ghetto and not a super rich family?

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuitaristRob

Please stop converting old hero's and create new hero's for these agenda driven drivel.

They got White Panther coming out soon.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Maybe instead of wailing and riding coattails forever, maybe the people doing all the bitching should come up with their own superhero and leave the existing ones alone. Or in other words, "If you don't like it, make something else that may be better instead."

Simple fix, I know, but it seems far too hard to comprehend and do, for the dense.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
absence of creativity in the entertainment industry,..

Bingo... Can we get Spiderman 5 more times? Its like watching 5 versions of the titanic.. Spoiler alert...the boat sinks, and spiderman gets bit by a radioactive spider.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   

"Batman's Story Would Be More Powerful and Very Different If Bruce Wayne Was Black"

If a tree fell in the forest ...

Stop trying to correctify everything damnit.

This is EXACTLY what fascists do.

And CCP has perfected.

Wake up democrats.

What you are supporting has NOTHING to do with freedom or liberty.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Maybe instead of wailing and riding coattails forever, maybe the people doing all the bitching should come up with their own superhero and leave the existing ones alone. Or in other words, "If you don't like it, make something else that may be better instead."

Simple fix, I know, but it seems far too hard to comprehend and do, for the dense.

Well they do and they are so God awful they go nowhere.

Snowflake and Safespace: Their first non-binary superheros
Danielle Cage as Captain America. Black woman/trans something...

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:02 PM
link   

and the blm kommies,sjw's, and the woke in general whine about white appropriation of black culture.

want a super hero create your own.

edit on 4-8-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuitaristRob

Hall of Fame DE from the Bills...

Bruce Bowen, extremely good defender with the Spurs.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: GuitaristRob

i thought they already did that,

muhammed the black superman

edit on 4-8-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:11 PM
link   

On a side note, is there a more overhyped, overused adjective in the 2020s than "powerful" in description of any story, message, or idea? I swear to God the word has become utterly meaningless thanks to it's gross overuse by all sides, be they political, social, or other. Last year during all of the little public demonstrations showing exactly *why* some people in this country have much more negative interactions with law enforcement than other people do, every POC that made a public statement about anything got the "powerful message" horsecrap added to the title of their articles by every media outlet that covered the story.

ENOUGH! Just because an individual thinks someone's idea is slightly meaningful or changes the game in a minor way does NOT mean anything they are saying holds any degree of power. "The bombs will drop in 10 minutes" was a powerful message... "Vini, Vidi, Vici" was a powerful message... "I have a dream" was a powerful message... "I woke up today, taped my pecker into my gap, put on a wig, so you better refer to me as female" is in no way a powerful message... "Look at how weakened and victimized we are" the antithesis of powerful... "It isn't possible for us to succeed because we're too downtrodden" is as far away from a message of powerfulness as it can possibly get, yet all are sentiments which would be marketed by today's talking heads as "powerful messages" in hushed tones and desperately trying to maintain an air of sincerity while saying it.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

is there a more overhyped, overused adjective in the 2020s than "powerful" in description of any story, message, or idea?

almost as bad as amazing and awsome.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join