It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Batman's Story Would Be More Powerful and Very Different If Bruce Wayne Was Black

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:14 PM
link   

few have asked what Batman might be to Gotham City if he was not the son of an endlessly privileged rich, white family.

Their is a simple reason why few have asked this question .... Bateman's super hero power was that he was from an endlessly privileged rich, white family.

Thats his super power; he wasn't super strong, or super fast nor was he made out of elastic. His super power was that he was able to afford any number of super weapons and gadgets.

That super power doesn't really work when you lay it on a poor inner city black man.

Sure sure you can make the character from an endlessly privileged rich, black family. But how does that change the story at all? What more will be explored?

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I notice it explicitly says rich.

Are they implying black people cannot be rich? They cannot succeed in business? Hmm…

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: burdman30ott6

is there a more overhyped, overused adjective in the 2020s than "powerful" in description of any story, message, or idea?

almost as bad as amazing and awsome.

Much worse.

This one is used as trigger word for brainwashed democrats.

The other two are just overused and stupid.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Will the police pull Bruce's batmobile over just because its being driven by a black man?

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: GuitaristRob
I've never met a black man named Bruce.

Hall of Fame DE from the Bills...

Bruce Bowen, extremely good defender with the Spurs.

Still, I never met a black man named Bruce. I never said one did not exist?
edit on 842021 by GuitaristRob because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkEyi

Why is the concept of race and gender swapping characters supposed to be such a good idea?
Has anyone ever actually asked for black Batman?
Will this swap add anything to the franchise?
What is the target audience?

Let’s list a few awesome female characters from years of tv and movies just for some fun.

Sarah Conner, “terminator”
Ellen ripley, “alien”
Alice, “resident evil”
Leeloo, “fifth element”
Selene, “underworld”
Buffy summers, “Buffy the vampire slayer” and don’t forget willow…
Furiosa, “mad max”
Clarice starling, “silence of the lambs”
Jane Craig, “Fargo”
Hermione granger, “Harry Potter”

What do all of these awesome ladies have in common?
I’ll tell you.
They were all original characters that were well written with flaws to overcome.

Hollywood needs to stop destroying pop culture history and start creating their own.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nunyabizisit

Much worse. This one is used as trigger word for brainwashed democrats.

i see it as a means to delude them into a belief that will wind up biting them in the ass in the end.

to be honest, i don't really think it's the black folks that want this, it's the pasty white sjw's and the money grubbin movie studios that want it.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hollywood like many big businesses is risk adverse. They would never risk capital on original idea.

They need the comfortable margin from an established franchise. They need to know that there will be fans who will come to see a batman flick even if they made Batman a dog named Bruce Wayne.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Not sure I got your point on the first part.

Agree 100% on that last part.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It was a bright sunny afternoon when Thomas Wayne and his wife were the victims of a savage attack of police brutality while leaving a inner city theatre. They were both high at the time but died as a result of being detained due to racial profiling.This left poor Bruce Wayne or Little B to grow up an orphan and in poverty on the streets of Gotham. Using his “street smarts” lil B hustled hard and defunded the police and got a new TV yolo the end.

Or they just make a rich black Batman because that would make sense.

edit on 4-8-2021 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: GuitaristRob

Fair point.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You could also include Fredrica Bimmel from Silence of the Lambs.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   

LOL...Batmans creator was white. Let me know when Tyler Perry makes a white people show.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Catnis evergreen
Princess Leia
Lorraine Broughton
Miho
Sarah walker

The list is so much longer.
I guess my point is that the best characters are the original ones. Not repackaged with changes.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:49 PM
link   
replied to myself

edit on 4-8-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Nunyabizisit

them being the ones pushing the movies in hollywood where black characters take over traditional characters.
like how sharpton has a say in what sony produces now since the leaked emails.

but it's not going to be as diversified, it will be overwhelming.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Why don't we just leave superheroes as they are? Does everything in this country need to change? It used to be such a nice place.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

them being the ones pushing the movies in hollywood where black characters take over traditional characters.
like how sharpton has a say in what sony produces now since the leaked emails.

but it's not going to be as diversified, it will be overwhelming.

I find the argument of racism and stuff pretty crazy in the US.

Most every city has a black mayor, competitive sports in general are dominated by blacks, we have a black VP (sort of), etc....

Please tell me where the oppression guilt should be placed. I have a real hard time seeing it.

Minorities get preferential treatment in work, schools and government handouts.

How much more does anyone need in multi-millionaires, handouts and political influence?

The racism stuff is hilarious to me. Likely because I live in Atlanta....been a huge POC city for decades.
edit on 8/4/21 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You forgot Princess Leia Organa.

Batman would not be the same thing if he were a black man coming from the usual black background that most people think of.

Batman works because he's a very well trained martial artist, and super sleuth with unusually keen powers of deduction (his super power - he's a master tactician too but only in the way of planning ahead; Captain American is the master tactician on the fly). His grasp of combatives, training and planning tactics are a good part of what keep him alive.

Yes, the rest is his wealthy background. He has the toys to augment his natural gifts and training.

Without the privileged background, the black Batman would be considerably crippled in his effectiveness.

posted on Aug, 4 2021 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: stelth2

Why don't we just leave superheroes as they are? Does everything in this country need to change? It used to be such a nice place.

Atonement will not be attained until whites are enslaved or something.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join