It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memphis Meats Becomes Upside Foods, Promises Lab-Grown Chicken This Year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Memphis Meats has changed its name to Upside Foods and the cultured meat company plans to bring chicken — its first consumer product — to the market this year.

Upside is a San Francisco Bay company founded in 2015. It’s local tie is Will Clem, owner of Baby Jack’s BBQ in Bartlett. He also cofounded Memphis Meats and was one of the company’s tissue engineers. The company chose the original “Memphis Meats” name “as a way to pay homage to Memphis’ barbecue culture,” according to a 2016 Memphis Flyer story by Bianca Phillips.

“We wanted to bring the strength of innovation from Silicon Valley and the meat-loving culture of Memphis together,” company cofounder and former cardiologist Uma Valeti said at the time.

Memphis Meats Becomes Upside Foods, Promises Lab-Grown Chicken This Year

So they grow cells into edible meat. I’m on the fence. I know how our chicken industry works and yeah it’s gross. I also LOVE chicken. I’m just wondering what is the nutritional value? Is it better?

From another article I read about lab grown meat, they are able to put certain nutrients in. Interesting. All of it is.

What do you think? Would you eat it?

In that article it also states that only one country allows the sale of lab grown meat. Singapore.

Sorry mods if I put this in wrong forum! Help if I did please
!

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I don’t get it. If it is lab grown, how can they call it chicken? Chicken-like, alternachicken, facken, now that sounds more honest at least. I see the same argument forming as when they introduced Pringles. The potato chip companies wanted to leagally deny that Pringles were potato chips.

Pringles, official snack of the CIA. They made antannas out of the cans as the dimensions were specified before production began.
edit on 5 24 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:01 PM
link   
While nothing edible beats a good medium-rare dry-aged wagyu ribeye, I get that sooner or later we are gonna have to develop foods that can be grown/manufactured. Taste/texture cost and nutritional value will have to be better if they want to sell it well commercially.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Calling lab grown fowl chicken is....
well, fowl.

Not because its wrong- not because it could be dangerous.... but because calling it what it isnt is the first step in a marketing nightmare.

When can you trust that your chicken thighs came from chickens and not the chicken-thigh-o-matic-9000?

What if I don't want to eat meat from a machine? What if I only want meat from happy chickens that were culled in their prime?

If they're allowed to market their chicken substitute as chicken, then the vegans will be trying to sell me cauliflower as chicken thighs before next christmas.

I'm all for the tech, but sell your product, not lies.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge
It’s cultured meat. Grown meat, from cells of the chicken. It’s chicken! Would it taste like chicken?

Mmmmm, yummy, now you got me wanting some Pringle’s. Is that true about Pringle’s?? I didn’t know that. Ooop no thread drift on Pringle’s! Ha
edit on 04/30/2021 by CrazyBlueCat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazyBlueCat

I don’t like chicken that much to start with. Cultured-chicken might be honest enough to call it.

Look the Pringles antanna up. You can make a long range directional antanna out of the can for WiFi. That is the band the CIA used years ago.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Cost.
The price will be an important factor.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
While nothing edible beats a good medium-rare dry-aged wagyu ribeye, I get that sooner or later we are gonna have to develop foods that can be grown/manufactured. Taste/texture cost and nutritional value will have to be better if they want to sell it well commercially.

Yessir, cause there’s a population we need to feed lab grown meat to!

And gosh, I haven’t eaten dinner and a steak sounds great!!

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Calling lab grown fowl chicken is....
well, fowl.

Not because its wrong- not because it could be dangerous.... but because calling it what it isnt is the first step in a marketing nightmare.

When can you trust that your chicken thighs came from chickens and not the chicken-thigh-o-matic-9000?

What if I don't want to eat meat from a machine? What if I only want meat from happy chickens that were culled in their prime?

If they're allowed to market their chicken substitute as chicken, then the vegans will be trying to sell me cauliflower as chicken thighs before next christmas.

I'm all for the tech, but sell your product, not lies.

Ooooohhh you got some great points there. My son asked me if vegans would eat this since no animal was harmed? Good question! Would they? Prob not. My cousin is vegan and just gags at the even mere mention of meat.. poor thing.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   

All this food talk makes me hungry for a "facken" sammich!
Thanks, now I'll be using this around the house whenever I can until my family is thoroughly annoyed with me.

I consider myself a meatitarian and I will be eating all my meats in classic form until I can no longer get it that way.
No lab grown facken or beef for me thanks.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I have the perfect name, "Soylent Yellow"(tm).

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Cost.
The price will be an important factor.
I agree! Huge factor.
From what I read, it used to cost a lot to make meat in a Petri dish.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I have the perfect name, "Soylent Yellow"(tm).

Farm free foods at its finest. Get your protein through soylent yellow!

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:40 PM
link   

no franken food for me, i want the real deal.

edit on 24-5-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

I think that would be facken and faef. And dont forget fark, fam, and faken, although the taste of those three originated from the same animal. Be certain when ordering that you specify facken or faken correctly. They are pretty close. Oh, and there is fash.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

Facken, Fake chicken!?! But it’s grown from the cells of a chicken. How is it fake?
I know what you mean.. it never breathed fresh air or got to be swung around by its neck or got its feathers plucked out. Oh the chickanity.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

no franken food for me, i want the real deal.

Wouldn’t you FEEL better though if the chicken wasn’t harmed in the process?

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Can you prove that the facken in the machine has no feels? Hit it with a hammer, does it not kind of bounce? Hook it to a battery, does it not wiggle when the power is turned on and off?

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Wouldn’t you FEEL better though if the chicken wasn’t harmed in the process?

i was raised on a chicken farm until i was 17. then came back when i was 23 for 5 more years.
we rasied them for eggs and when their laying slowed we'd sell them for meat. also sold chicken sh@@ for fertilizer, spring time people would line up for that sh@@.

i would imagine i've seen every way a chicken could die or be killed and smelled it it to.

edit on 24-5-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I will never eat lab grown meat, I believe that mixed with covid vaccine is how the zombie apocalypse will start

top topics

<<   2 >>

join