It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular Mechanics Article 6th Gen NGAD

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2021 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It could be a potential replacement for the A10, there has been word about eventually getting rid of it in the past.

Although, personally I can not see any benefit in removing such a proven platform with that track record. The A10 is unsurpassed in its role, air to ground support.

It is not broke, don't try to fix it.

posted on Apr, 28 2021 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

The A-10 is only truly relevant in places like Afghanistan or Iraq, after defenses are either destroyed, or knocked back so far that they're no longer a serious threat. Trying to use an A-10 against a peer or near peer opponent is going to be a massacre. I love the A-10 as much as the next guy, and it's great for the role it was designed for, but it would last about a minute against a serious IAD, such as the S400.

posted on Apr, 28 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying, or you misunderstood the PM story? Its not PM's artist rendition its actually the one the USAF put in their released report. So it could be an accurate depiction put out or it could be a misleading one, either way PM are just saying that neither they nor we the readers should assume the picture is actually what NGAD does or will look like.

edit on 28-4-2021 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2021 @ 09:35 PM
link   
IF.. you want or find a need for an A-10 like role in a modern heavily contested battlefield scenario with a near peer or better, you need something much more survivable. And it would look and perform markedly different to a Warthog. These days you need more speed to shorten the killchain dramatically, both in the platform, getting a targeting and weapon solution, and the prosecution time of the weapon. You also need much greater standoff ranges than the GAU-8 could ever hope to do. Onboard and off board sensors and information needs to be much better at making sense of the battlefield than the A-10 ever had or will have. Loiter time needs to be greater, the ability to survive needs to be far more than a titanium bathtub, and active not passive. What you would end up with wouldn't look or act like an A-10 at all. You could almost achieve better right now with an unmanned Valkyrie or ATS optimized for the role with the latest mini missile concepts and something like the APKWS type family of guided 2.75" rockets.

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 03:54 AM
link   
These days you need something stealthy with a more precise weapons system.

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Exactly mate,
A stealthy version of Valkyrie or ATS coupled with precision weapons will last much longer than an A-10 will. And that's the whole rationale behind 5th and 6th Gen platforms. Whatever NGAD actually turns out to be, it will need to have very broadband stealth which includes visual as well as aural spectrum's. Even if you were able to take most of the systems of an F-35 and stick them in an A-10, it wont survive for a great deal longer because its relatively slow and very visible across the whole spectrum.

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The A-10 is only truly relevant in places like Afghanistan or Iraq, after defenses are either destroyed, or knocked back so far that they're no longer a serious threat. Trying to use an A-10 against a peer or near peer opponent is going to be a massacre. I love the A-10 as much as the next guy, and it's great for the role it was designed for, but it would last about a minute against a serious IAD, such as the S400.
A lot of people have stagnated on Asymetric warfare doctrines, that we forgot we're a conventional force at our strongest, not only that, but have failed to embrace the digital age of sensor warfare.

"Cool" doesn't get you far in war.

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 06:44 AM
link   
You just need read on how effective the British Ah-64,s were in Afghanistan to understand what good troop support is with loiter time and precision weapon delivery.A10,s are great for general big targets but precision of taking out heavy fire from prepared "mobile" hidden units you need something with good sensors and pinpoint accuracy,especially with close in support or high collateral risks.

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

we forgot we're a conventional force at our strongest

What does that even mean?

In it's conventional role A-10 would be SAM/MANPAD fodder. So what else could it be used for? Doing COIN or being a missile/bomb truck in low-threat areas? Other planes can do that just fine.

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
NGAD

it says there is already a demonstrator flying, i still think one of those mystery aircraft captured in pics is a prototype for this program

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

NGAD would have only flown within the last year or two. It's a very recent development.

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

if you were a betting man would you say that our little group here has seen this demonstrator if only lights in the sky.

last question: i have seen a typical smaller BT MAYBE 20ft per side, if that big. Clearly it was a drone and I would assume it was sniffing the air for anything nefarious(Trump AND both Clintons were in my city that night). even if that drone can only do bursts of silent high speed with radical course adjustments that would rip a F16's wings off(or apparently so) why are we not using these things for thing like LOYAL WINGMAN or MALDS or just ISR.

we clearly have aircraft that are truly jaw dropping so why spend more money on a manned fighter

edit on 29-4-2021 by penroc3 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 29 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

No. This one MIGHT have flown out of Plant 42 to get to Groom, but they might very well have transported it there and assembled it there, and it's never left restricted airspace.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 04:49 AM
link   
For something like that Id suspect transport and reassembled at Groom for taxi tests and flight testing.You dont want something crashing out in the public world if theres an issue.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

i would imagine that a 6th gen aircraft would be made out of mono body composites, like the wings and all the major structural supports are one piece and than the flaps and what not can be put on later

i know LM is working on LARGE '3d printing' of major parts of new aircraft.

with radar how it is now and expected to be in the future i would want as few seams and as little metal as possible.

i cant wait to see what kind of power levels they are going to come out with for its DEW/fiber laser

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   
www.defensenews.com...

Well now this is interesting. 5 year development cycle to come out with new planes to fly with ngad.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join