It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for ufo video from the early 90s???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Way back in the early 90s, the 10 o'clock news aired a video of earth from space.

In the video a round object slowly moves toward earth, then from earth you see a flash of light , and if I remember correct a laser shoots at the object which changes course and backs away.

It was such a strange video and the news segment reported it as something that really happened.

I saw this video on YouTubeI belive years ago,.but cannot find it.

Does anyone remember such a UFO video?
It was a good one. Would love to see it again.

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Sounds like the STS-48 video from the Space Shuttle.

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Ice particles.

Thrusters were being fired.

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I think I know the video/film your refering to, but can't find anything but this really bad copy of a copy of a copy.

Is this what you were thinking of?

edit on 3/11/2021 by JohnnyAnonymous because: found better copy of a copy of a copy...

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Here's a copy that might not be as badd as Johnny's..

lol, sorry Johnny!

edit on 11-3-2021 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Here is a report on electromagnetic rail gun in the public space.. think of that is hiding outside of public space.
digitalcommons.mtu.edu...

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Ice particles don't slow down or change direction. It wasn't ice particles.

It was something quite interesting. STS 48 yep.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous

I think I know the video/film your refering to, but can't find anything but this really bad copy of a copy of a copy.

Is this what you were thinking of?

That's the one. Such an interesting video for the time period.

Reminds me of the movie spies like us with Chevy chase and dan aykroyd. They shoot that lazer into space to try and blow up a nuke.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: baddmove

lol, sorry Johnny!

Very creepy in real time.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

lol, sorry Johnny!

You're going to have ice particles floating around the space shuttle, and you're going to have RCS thrusters are going to fire to help keep the shuttle in place, and even some active venting of waste gasses.

Put those together and you get tiny ice particles breaking away from the shuttle (a common thing), which float alongside the shuttle for a while and could be pushed around by thrusters and venting.

edit on 3/12/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
Ice particles don't slow down or change direction.
Not by themselves, but when a thruster fires, the thruster not only changes the orientation of the spacecraft, but also can impart acceleration to anything in the path of the thruster propellant exhaust, inclusing ice particles or other debris like paint flecks or whatever.

It wasn't ice particles.
It probably was ice particles though some other kind of small particulate debris can't be ruled out, but ice particles were plentiful on STS-48 because they had a leaky dump nozzle which created a lot of ice particles. There were also ice particles related to a fuel dump.

It's an interesting phenomenon in the psychology of science deniers and or UFO religion fanatics, where this has been analyzed in detail scientifically by experts and the more religious UFO fanatics deny the science.

Someone wrote an article claiming they must be UFOs, citing all kinds of reasons why they can't be ice particles. An expert even went through all of those reasons one by one and explained what's wrong with them, to confirm that yes they can be ice particles. That and much more is in this pdf explaining what happened, with detailed records and analysis of those records.

The great STS-48 zig-zag UFO, by James Oberg, 1999
Page 2, summary:

Page 6, eyewitness accounts describing sources of ice particles and how the maneuvering thrusters affected them:

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: Bloodworth

lol, sorry Johnny!

You're going to have ice particles floating around the space shuttle, and you're going to have RCS thrusters are going to fire to help keep the shuttle in place, and even some active venting of waste gasses.

Put those together and you get tiny ice particles breaking away from the shuttle (a common thing), which float alongside the shuttle for a while and could be pushed around by thrusters and venting.

It looked like a common evasive maneuver.
And the video was shot pretty far from the space shuttle.
Can those things you mention be effected that far away?
Why was the camera set up to show that instance?

Guess it could be naturally occurring...what isn't

(post by Sheshbazzar removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 08:22 PM
link   

They did not slow down or change directions. The shuttle did.

When the thrustor fired, the vehicle simply changed position slowly and overtook ice crystals moving past the shuttle and now made it appear that they had changed direction and went the other way. The effect was also in relation to how far away all of the particles were and how they were moving in relation to the shuttle as well.

It is so easy to see if you put yourself in a 3D frame of mind and imagine how all the particles would move if you changed your speed and momentum in relation to what was out there.

All this crap about UFO's moving around out there and firing on each other.... such total misinterpretation of a very easy to understand phenomena and people to this day, still do not understand it.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
They did not slow down or change directions.
According to page 3 in Jim Oberg's pdf, 6 of the dots did change directions. See the pdf by Oberg I linked in my previous post, and the screenshots showing NASA's explanation that the "abrupt motion of the particles result from the impact of the gas jets from the thrusters." NASA's explanation appears to be correct, yours does not.

The shuttle did.
It would be more accurate to say something like the thruster firing affected the shuttle's rate of rotation and orientation. Its velocity in orbit didn't really slow down or change directions.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   

They did not slow down or change directions. The shuttle did.

When the thrustor fired, the vehicle simply changed position slowly and overtook ice crystals moving past the shuttle and now made it appear that they had changed direction and went the other way. The effect was also in relation to how far away all of the particles were and how they were moving in relation to the shuttle as well.

It is so easy to see if you put yourself in a 3D frame of mind and imagine how all the particles would move if you changed your speed and momentum in relation to what was out there.

All this crap about UFO's moving around out there and firing on each other.... such total misinterpretation of a very easy to understand phenomena and people to this day, still do not understand it.

Not buying it, sorry. I have heard dozens of scientists and NASA brass discuss and argue about this for DECADES. Some for the ice particle explanation, and many more scientists saying it wasn't ice particles. I'm not referring to the 12 mile long thing, but only the one that had the evading object flee from attack.

I already know how great of LIARS NASA brass are and have been, so I never believe their lies. I believe what is true when they tell the truth, and I do know the difference. Lies have quantum element to them and I can feel it.
Believe or not, I could care less.
edit on 12-3-2021 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So, if a very few of the ice crystals changed direction due to the direct effect of the thrustor, so be it. The point is that all this action happened as soon as the thrustor fired. Vectors and relative speed changed for everything that was out there at once.

The 'attack' is nothing more than an ice crystal that was very close to the camera changing it's perceived new path relative to the camera and then appeared to head over to the other object that was farther away, thus that object did not change it's perceived aspect much.... but it did change slightly if you study it. Again the perceived path of all the objects changed according to their distance, original path and speed as soon as the flash of the thrustor occurred.

It does not matter if the shuttle went forward ,backward or rotated. It was the camera that did what any camera would have displayed if it was traveling through a 3D field.

posted on Mar, 13 2021 @ 08:41 AM
link   

It does not matter if the shuttle went forward ,backward or rotated. It was the camera that did what any camera would have displayed if it was traveling through a 3D field.
There are so many cockamamie claims made about this video by science deniers that it's hard to keep track of all of them, but it turns out one of the cockamamie claims involves rotation so in that sense the rotation does matter. I think the argument goes something like, the flash of light that the experts say is a thruster firing, can't possibly be a thruster firing, because if it was we would see some movement in the video, like a rotation, as a result of the thruster firing.

So it's another logic and observational failure like all the other nonsensical claims made by people that want to discard science so they can believe these are some kind of UFOs. Apparently they are looking for some kind of dramatic movement when the thruster fires, and they don't see that. What they don't seem to realize is that the shuttle is has a large mass, and the thruster is only for attitude control and was only fired a short time for a small correction to the attitude/rotation rate.

So in order to discern such a small change from the video, you have to watch it for something like 1 minute before and one minute after the thruster firing to see that in fact, it did make a change when you compare those two intervals, but it's such a small change you don't see it if you just watch a second or two after the thruster fires which is apparently what the non-scientists in the UFO believer crowd do.

a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed
If you can get a message to Mog from Zog or whoever is flying those UFOs, please tell them it would be nice if they can modify their space ship designs so they look really alien and cool, and stop using the lame ships they use in the STS-48 video since they are virtually indistinguishable from the myriad ice particles that leaked from the leaky dump nozzle during that mission.

posted on Mar, 13 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Sorry, couldn’t resist😁

posted on Mar, 13 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   

and firing the thrusters would have moved the whole scene, not just the 'ice particles'

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join