It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Guy question! - Electrical related (3 phase)...(let's see how good you are!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme
208 is 120/208 3 phase
208 single phase would theoretically be 208/416 ? Which who the hell would need that ????
My house is 120 /240 , what’s yours ?
3 phase
120/208
277/480

I’m building a school now . I just wired a bunch of panels. The main power for the building comes in on 5 different pipes . A brown orange yellow and grey for neutral . They bring 5 brown orange yellow and gray wires in because of all the amperage and so the wire doesn’t burn up .I think it’s 1800 amp breaker . It’s 500 mcm which is pretty big and tough to wrestle . All the outlets are run off 120 . So we set transformers everywhere to step down 277/480 down to 120/208 so we can wire receptacles and fans and stuff . 277 is running all the lights and all the 480 is basically other than stepping down to do 208 is basically just running the rooftop hvac units and some mechanical stuff and some pumps . Please just ask away if you’re still confused . I know if you have very little understanding it can be overwhelming

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:24 PM
link   
25 years here professional and another 3 years learning.
Please stop. You are embarrassing yourself.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Since the replies are getting silly, I thought you could always throw a large shifting spanner at it!

You never know, it could randomly just fix things...

or... 💥

edit on 7/3/2021 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thenail

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Stop. 208 is not three phase, it's single phase double hot leg.

If you have 3 hot legs for 208 your electrician didn't do right.

This right here is comedy gold for a guy who’s been dealing with electricity for 18 years . It’s single phase double hot leg lmao hahahaha , what is this hahaha . 3 hot 120 legs is 208 volts in a 3 phases system . If you’re too ignorant then whatever but I’ve been trying to explain this to you and you’re absolutely not getting it . So just please ask away

I'm NOT in that field but this is how I've come to understand it... I'm a little but shocked (pun intended) to not see a consensus here.
208/220/240 is all the same thing to me but how else could you get twice the voltage across the two everyday 110 lines unless there on different phases of the same AC cycle?

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Try pouring some salt on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Well you’re not an electrician that’s obvious. Correct me where I’m wrong . When you asked I gladly obliged .

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:35 PM
link   

208 is 120/208 3 phase
208 single phase would theoretically be 208/416 ? Which who the hell would need that ????
My house is 120 /240 , what’s yours ?
3 phase
120/208
277/480

I’m building a school now . I just wired a bunch of panels. The main power for the building comes in on 5 different pipes . A brown orange yellow and grey for neutral . They bring 5 brown orange yellow and gray wires in because of all the amperage and so the wire doesn’t burn up .I think it’s 1800 amp breaker . It’s 500 mcm which is pretty big and tough to wrestle . All the outlets are run off 120 . So we set transformers everywhere to step down 277/480 down to 120/208 so we can wire receptacles and fans and stuff . 277 is running all the lights and all the 480 is basically other than stepping down to do 208 is basically just running the rooftop hvac units and some mechanical stuff and some pumps . Please just ask away if you’re still confused . I know if you have very little understanding it can be overwhelming

Congrats to you. Just make sure you have your insurances up.
Just to be clear in the US most breakers are 15 amp, 20 amp or 50 amp, for those duel hot leg dryers.
1800 amps is ridiculous.
But I see your error.
Let's take the basic equation AxV=W
That would be Amps times Volts equals Watts.
I can see how you get the outlandish 1800 amps if you were thinking watts. With all respect, It's time for you to acknowledge you should remove yourself from this discussion.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Stop. 208 is not three phase, it's single phase double hot leg.

If you have 3 hot legs for 208 your electrician didn't do right.

This right here is comedy gold for a guy who’s been dealing with electricity for 18 years . It’s single phase double hot leg lmao hahahaha , what is this hahaha . 3 hot 120 legs is 208 volts in a 3 phases system . If you’re too ignorant then whatever but I’ve been trying to explain this to you and you’re absolutely not getting it . So just please ask away

I'm NOT in that field but this is how I've come to understand it... I'm a little but shocked (pun intended) to not see a consensus here.
208/220/240 is all the same thing to me but how else could you get twice the voltage across the two everyday 110 lines unless there on different phases of the same AC cycle?

The 2 hot leads have nothing to do with the phases.
With 220 (208) it delivers the same power just double.
I'm probably not saying it correct and wiki can hopefully satisfy your understanding.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

At my house I have 120/240 single phase power . Almost all houses are exclusively 120/240 volts . It’s single phase so the voltage is double . All of your lights and outlets to plug things into run off 120 . Which is a 15 amp 120 volt hot wire and a neutral and a grounding wire . Ran off your breaker . It has one handle . Your dryer needs 240 volts . So you bring two hot wires a red and black and a white neutral and grinding wire . The black goes on one side of the breaker and the red the other . It is a double pole breaker and the shutoff handle is longer . You won’t have a 3 pole breaker because it’s single phase

In the school I’m in it’s 3 phase . So the voltage instead of the 120/240 is 120/208. 3 phase is not quite in phase so you only get 208 . Same with the 277/480 for the big stuff . Single phase is double the voltage but not 3 phase

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Well you’re not an electrician that’s obvious. Correct me where I’m wrong . When you asked I gladly obliged .

Oh I am.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I don’t need wiki . Lmao , I don’t tell my customers that hire me to give me a while and I’ll wiki it because I’m way too overqualified for that . Read my stuff , I’m going to bed . I guess it’s probably easier to ignore me

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'd like to know the real answer, but that is obviously impossible with the two of you with your measuring sticks out and your zippers down.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Oh my god you’re dumb , look at the transformer in the top right picture , it’s a transformer for 120/208 3 phase . I mean good god. You’ve posted numerous times how you’re wrong but you’re too dumb to know . Lmao .

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Glad I’m not alone in thinking that.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Lol , I don’t have a measuring stick , the guy doesn’t know have a clue what he’s talking about . Have you read my posts do I sound like a moron . I’m pretty damn high up I’m this big electrical operation we’re running . I don’t care if this guys an idiot . I told him 5 times and he’s no closer to understanding. This should be the mud pit lol ? Where’s cfd with the answer to this ? I would fire the guy by now if he can’t understand how voltages work then he
Won’t be an electrician for very long . This is basic 1st year apprentice stuff and if you don’t know by year two then you’re dumb

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Lol , ok ok ok . Was just trying to explain electrical theory to a few individuals in a manner they could easily understand . Sorry . Sorry for caring

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Thenail

Best part was when he posted a wiki to support his argument that completely proved him wrong

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

Lol , ok ok ok . Was just trying to explain electrical theory to a few individuals in a manner they could easily understand . Sorry . Sorry for caring

Do it. I am willing to understand what I do not know. But I've already shown you have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Please explain it to me?

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Ok
A three phase panel . You know The big panel say in an office building that houses all the breakers that you can use to turn the power on and off .

It has 3 incoming Hot wires and a neutral and a grounding wire . The 3 hots are black red and blue . They each have 120 volts to ground and 208 volts between them phase to phase . Hence the 120/208 3 phase power . Now if you have a 208 volt three phase piece of equipment you’ll need a black red and blue and green grounding wire typically sometimes a neutral but not needed . This is the 4the time I’ve posted something like this now you understand .

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join