It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice for Anxiety

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
The nutritional supplement lithium orotate works like a miracle for some people.

Ashwaganda herb can also help with anxiety and stress. Check out some of the reviews.

I have Ashwagandha, but just haven’t used it yet. That other supplement looks very interesting too. Lots and lots of good reviews. Thanks!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Hey bud,

There are usually triggers that start the anxiety, and I have managed to train my body to use a trigger to also stop the anxiety, similar to the pen and paper idea.

Every time I feel it starting (mine always starts with shortness of breath), I take out my phone and play the same stupid little game I have. And I do it every single time. Every time that game works in distracting me enough, it reinforces the trigger for the anxiety to go away.

I take no pills whatsoever, and never have, I do however have a spray that I also keep handy, smells like herbs, and I just spray it on my wrist and chest and it also helps me relax.

Cheers,
Alex

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I t
N ever
D istresses.
I t
C alms
A nxiety.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I haven't read all the posts yet, but I wanted to respond to this while it was fresh in my mind...

Here’s the weird thing and maybe you might know what is going on. Every single panic attack I’ve had, I’d say about 6 now. I have always been getting ready or just starting to really relax. Like laying down for bed, getting on the couch to watch tv, etc. It is never actually when I am in the middle of a stressful situation.

This is usually the case when a panic/anxiety attack strikes, which is very counter-intuitive. You'd think it would be the other way around. The other thing about panic/anxiety attacks is, they feed on themselves. The more you think about the attack the more anxious you get, and the more anxious you get the more you think about stuff to pile onto the attack. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I get them from time to time also. They can be pretty intense too, enough to give me an irregular heartbeat, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I also wanted to go back to something NightSky said about drawing something. This is a great suggestion! I have these little notebooks I carry around with me (Field Notes if you've heard of them, but any notebook will do I just like those). It's not a journal, it's not a to-do list, it has no specific format...it's a whatever I want it to be notebook. When I have some random thought, I write it down. If I stress out, I write it down, or draw some kind of a picture...or sometimes just doodle. Sometimes I go back to them and add to them. You'd be surprised what some of these things can turn into. When I look back over completed books (and there are lots) they can be pretty enlightening. But the bottom line is, doing something like this can really help relieve panic/anxiety attacks. At least you can kind of scribble the anxiety out of your head.

edit on 2/23/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I have mild depression and anxiety. I'm on meds that helps take the edge off. Nothing is a cure all, but anything that helps, right? Deep breathing can help calm you, music and whatever you think might help. Herbal calming teas etc. I should take my own advice as I am very stressed and rather depressed tonight. Life isn't easy. Hugs and good luck sweetie!

This is also great advice. Especially the breathing part. It doesn't even have to be "deep" breathing, just complete inhale and exhale cycles. I find when I start getting really stressed I'm usually in a very quiet place and I'm only taking partial breaths. If I pay attention to my breathing, and breathe in fully and then exhale fully (I try to do it 10 times), it's pretty amazing how it helps lift the weight off of you.
edit on 2/23/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79

The ability to play an instrument is highly therapeutic.

Agreed, BUT the key word in your suggestion is "ability". What I mean by this is, trying to learn to play an instrument to relieve stress can have the exact opposite effect! It can make your stress go into maximum overload. If you already know how to play an instrument, well, then that's fine, but by no means should a person try to learn an instrument to relieve stress...at least in my opinion.

I'm trying to learn to play the guitar, and if I tried to do that when I was having an anxiety attack I'd probably break some chit and jump out a window!

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Hi JAG, so sorry to hear about your anxiety, but so pleased you know the difference between this and depression.
Do you have an Aromatherapist nearby? If so, please see her/him.
If you don't I'll pop back on and make a couple of suggestions that will help.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Hi JAG, so sorry to hear about your anxiety, but so pleased you know the difference between this and depression.
Do you have an Aromatherapist nearby? If so, please see her/him.
If you don't I'll pop back on and make a couple of suggestions that will help.

Rainbows
Jane

No I don’t but I’d love to hear anything you can share.
Thank You!

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I had my first panic attack in over 20 years the other day, I forgot just how unsettling they are. I hope you are able to get them under control.

I was told that if we don't use the adrenaline that our bodies are producing before and during an attack it will only make things worse.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Do you run?
Try a few quick sprints until you are winded. It has worked for me, but I don't typically run, unless something would be chasing me.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:34 AM
link   

The biggest thing that helped me was to divide my life into things I can control, and things I cannot. The things I cannot I have to let go. I can control how prepared I may be to meet challenges from those things, but I cannot control when, how, or if they happen. So there is simply no point in worrying about a thing until it *is* a thing.

From my personal perspective, this is religious. I control what I can, and the rest I leave to God. I trust that what happens is what must be and that I'll handle it when the time comes.

Others may see this kind of mental prep differently.

I am trying to work this angle with my son right now when it comes to his competitions. I keep telling him to go and do the best he can and have fun. The only thing he can control is how well he does. He can't control his competitors. He can't control the judges. He can only control himself, so all he can do is put out an effort he can be proud of at the end of the day, and let everything else fall where it does. If he can he proud of his own performance, then he has nothing to be ashamed of, and to that end, he needs to work hard, practice a lot, so he can feel good, win or lose.

The foundations of that mindset are easiest to set in a competition, but they can carry you through life.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:16 AM
link   

OK, here we go. ALL the oils I am about to mention are perfectly safe and don't have any contraindications to medications or any underlying health issues.
#1 Vetiver is the #1 oil for panic attacks such as you describe. I've nicknamed it the Valium of Essential Oils. It is a bit of a Marmite smell in that you love it or hate it. Personally it is one of my top 10 favourites for over 30 years. You just need to smell the oil and within a minute you will feel a difference.
I used it on a survivor of the Grenfell Tower who had been sent to my 'MASH' camp of therapists as he was about to go over the edge and most likely sectioned. He arrived shaking uncontrollably and as though he had turrets. He was loud and quite sweary, so I had to take him to one side. I told him to carry on talking and I just held the opened bottle close to him. It does have a pervading smell. He didn't like it at all, but kept on talking. Literally in less than 5 minutes, I was keeping my eye out for the signs, his volume started decreasing, the swearing got less.....but the main one was, he let out a ginormous sigh. That was when I knew he had had enough of that one, he'd got his Vallium 'shot'. This is an extreme example and we are also dealing with extreme trauma. What I would like you to understand is, that the oil takes you from where you are to diametrically opposite in equal measure and calmly brings you back to centre. So to some people it really can be like a shot of Valium.

I then swapped it out for #2.
#2 Fragonia. Fragonia is totally the opposite to Vetiver's earthy smell, it has a delicate floral note. (the client much preferred this one). It helps you find your inner mental strength and resilience by bringing your mind into balance and harmony with itself. The uniqueness of Fragonia is that it works on a very deep level to release emotional blockages, trauma, shock, pain and scars. It lifts grief and brings peace and tranquillity that you can feel deep inside you. Fragonia stands alone in that it adjusts our natural circadian rhythms and cycles. This oil works in perfect harmony with the Vetiver.

#3 Frankincense. This oil is calming, soothing and has a direct effect on opening up our lungs and thus slowing our breathing down. It's an oil I have used on its own when somebody suddenly has a panic attack and there's no brown paper bag available for the hyperventilation. This works an absolute treat.

There are obviously many other EO's that help, but I would need to know more about what you think is triggering your anxiety.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Ummm...why don’t you try meditation...

What your allowing...is your thoughts to run away with your mind...

Try to meditate on...not thinking...which is to say...thinking on not thinking...the mind and especially the ego are aspects that always attempt to assume control...by thinking on not thinking...you silence their voice and remove control...

All of those things you mentioned are essentially...you not dealing with you...and your giving the mind and ego voice allows a cyclic...repetitive...amped feedback loop...

The key to all inner growth and enlightenment always lies in a rather simplistic statement that...you cede control...you...

Realization that these pathways are yours...that this mind is yours...this ego is yours...this life is yours...and it’s ultimately up to you to stop ceding control of thought over to these aspects who love to claim space and bandwidth within the construct.

The most valuable tool is quiescence...to quell these inner voices...to not feed their natures...through thinking on not thinking...

Once you’ve regained and reclaimed control...thinking about not thinking may progress into true...not thinking...

A state where self is separate from thought and unaffected by it...I call this void meditation...where self exists without need for thought...where rampant thought structure ceases...where mindfulness ceases and becomes instead un-mindfulness...

It’s always good to realize that being mindful...is being full mind...and while mindfulness or hyper awareness has it’s place in inner attainment...it is that much better to empty out all of those cares and concerns and relax in calm...quiescent peace...unaffected by the clamor of mind and ego...

These are the things that work for me...these are the paths that allow abject wonder existence...to be party to and part and parcel to the majestic amazement of each moment as it impinges on our conscience...and consciousness...

YouSir
edit on 23-2-2021 by YouSir because: The “I” animates the construct

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

I t
N ever
D istresses.
I t
C alms
A nxiety.

My tincture of "Gods Gift" facilitates that wonderful REM sleep that melts stress away and you wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to face the day with vigor and a song in your heart.

the 50/50 of thc/cbd also helps relieve those nagging body aches and pains which also helps get a good nights sleep. btw...I'm not recommending it, but it works for me, especially combined with outdoor activity; flyrod in my hand fishing the rivers and streams of the Rocky Mt. West; the most calming meditative pastime I have found.

edit on 23-2-2021 by olaru12 because: syntax

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Late to this party JAGStorm but heres my 2p worth. If I'm repeating previous posts ignore me

Panic attacks are our body's involuntary response to stressful , stimuli , frightening but never fatal.

These are fight or flight responses from our Caveman days (seriously, look it up) that are ingrained.

We no longer have to run from a hungry T-Rex but our bodies can still act in a similar manner and go into overdrive.

Seldom are the causes obvious so anyone experiencing an attack cannot reconcile the stimuli, succumbing to the panic cycle.

I've helped a few people over the years so if you'd like to chat , drop me a PM

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I once cut myself on a Can lid as I was opening some Soup....I immediatly tasted metal in my mouth and went into some kind of panic/anxiety attack.... I have lost complete Fingernail @ work and finished my shift.....I have broken a bone and still finished my shift....I have been shot and not felt this way....but I swear to goodness all I felt was SHEER DOOM and I could not move my feet nor could I talk .... I stood frozen looking at a few drops of blood dripping into the sink and tried not to feint.....strangest thing I have ever had happen in my life...if that ever happened while I was working or doing something dangerous I would be screwed blue because I had zero control over the reaction....funny thing was my very first thought after I tasted metal in my mouth was that it was only a small cut and no big deal....then BOOM things changed on a dime.

Yes these kinds of attacks are very real and can happen to anyone at almost any time for sometimes the smallest reasons.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: putnam6
Nothing used to bother me, or it took a helluva lot. But ever since I was diagnosed with Meniere's a couple of years ago I can feel my body tightening up from time to time and yea it's been more so this past year. Gaba has helped alot and Melatonin and I've heard great things about Delta 8 products too.

I can’t even imagine having Meniere’s..... I’ve had some serious bouts of tinnitus due to fluctuating hormones so I can empathize with the misery...
I actually bought some supplements that increase GABA Ashawanga(sp) and Valerian tinctures. I just haven’t taken them yet. One of those things that you buy and forget about them. I am unable to use melatonin as it gives me crazy crazy dreams.

I'd definitely try the Gaba, might need to dial in the dosage on the Melatonin cause it used to give me funky dreams too, but now it's not so bad. I also play relaxing music sometimes and white noise.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Micro dosing shrooms .25 grams or smaller can help greatly.
If that isn’t available to you....

Working out, finding a new hobby, changing your diet (stomach bacteria do loads of things to your mental state)

Most of all; talk it out.... bringing fears and anxieties to the light is the best way to deal with them.

I make poems, songs, and paintings that describe my anxieties......

Best of luck to you, you are not alone in this

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Lots of ground already covered..

Tried a martial art? I would suggest Kendo.. There are other sword arts, like Iaido, but they are a bit more obscure and even less likely to actually have anyone teaching it.

I also suggest meditation, but already have in another thread

Lots of great suggestions here though!

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

I stood frozen looking at a few drops of blood dripping into the sink and tried not to feint.....strangest thing I have ever had happen in my life.

I have been shot and not felt this way....but I swear to goodness all I felt was SHEER DOOM and I could not move my feet nor could I talk

100000000000000000000000000% where I'm at!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join