It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice for Anxiety

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I’ve had a pretty stressful life, even as a child.
I was always able to handle it quite well. I’d say, better than well, I would sometimes flourish in stressful situations.
I then had some really high pressure jobs, and again was about to handle it quite well.

Then last year hit. I had my first ever anxiety or panic attack or anxiety attack. To be honest, I really don’t know the difference.
Some of it might be related to health issues I am going through, or the deaths in the family. Of course all the Covid fiasco hasn’t helped.
For a time I felt my body was stuck in fight or flight mode.

I know several members on here have mentioned having PTSD etc, so I figured I’d ask. I’ve also gotten better advice on here from Coffee makers to legal matters!!!
I plan on calling my Dr. as my stress level is sky high right now and I can acknowledge I am unable to handle it on my own.

I would love to hear your suggestions.
Cognitive therapy? Medication? Non medication options. Certain foods?
Legal Medical M. Anything else?

Here’s what I’ve been doing so far.
I’m watching YouTube and doing breathing exercises, watching calming videos etc. They do help to some degree.
Someone shared a Wim Hoff video recently, I really enjoyed that.
I like to make it pretty clear, I do not have depression. I have several family member that suffer and I do know all the signs.
I have a very positive outlook on life, am relatively happy, have lots of hobbies, supportive family and friends.
I am just stuck with this anxiety right now.

Keep in mind I am not on any medications, none. Never have been. Seriously, nada, not one pill.
I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs.
Last year has me rethinking that. I also realize that caffeine is a trigger for me, which really sucks because that is seriously my one and only vice right now.

Thank you for those that have been very kind to listen to my rollercoaster ride of a life lately.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Panic and anxiety attacks are real.
There are different levels to such attacks though.
If the attack is to where you become paranoid and other mental disorders, best advice is to have someone you can trust wait out that period.

I just re-read your post.
... self-loneliness is hard to do away with, even if you are married and have a family... yes, no drugs may be the benefit for you to still have a strong mind
... self-loneliness can be terminal, in which you'll have to live a life of lets say of being on an artificial island surrounded by a water of hope

Many will run in fear to a medical doctor... I'll drop my typing at this moment...
edit on 0200000044102021-02-22T23:10:44-06:00104402pm11 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Panic attacks usually involve the involuntary shaking of your whole body.

Anxiety attacks vary from person to person, but a mild state of confusion may exist during a real anxiety attack on the mind.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

A trick I use for my patients that works. It is not a cure, it is works just to relax your mind for a short while.

Keep a pen or a pencil handy, and you can use what ever paper that is available, a paper bag, an envelope, but I suggest carrying a small pack of post its, or just junk paper.

When you feel the anxiety level starting to rise, take out your pencil or pen and draw anything. It can be something you see, or something simple like stick figures, circles, boxes, anything. You don't have to be good at drawing, it is not a contest or going into the Louvre. You will find that drawing will distract you enough that you won't be able to think about what is creating the anxiety. It is a temporary fix, but it helps in the moment.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Thank you for that. That sounds similar to what I am doing right now but more pleasant.

Right now, when I have an “attack” (not being able to breathe, feeling faint, dizzy and shaky)
I go outside without a coat. It is so cold my mind can’t focus on the panic, and then it seems to
Ease off.

Here’s the weird thing and maybe you might know what is going on. Every single panic attack I’ve had, I’d say about 6 now. I have always been getting ready or just starting to really relax. Like laying down for bed, getting on the couch to watch tv, etc. It is never actually when I am in the middle of a stressful situation.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:37 PM
link   
In my early twenties I use to suffer anxiety attacks all the time. The anxiety causes adrenline to flow so the body becomes extra sensitive to sensory perception which causes even more anxiety. So in a way anxiety feeds on itself, Even if the original cause is removed. The anxiety attacks can still occur. For months I wouldn't even sleep on my bed because it use to shake (wtf). I didn't realize until latter that my hightened senses could feel the bed shake from my heartbeat.

The doctors I went too had no idea how to treat anxiety. One doctor eventually gave me serapax. Under that drug my anxiety attacks never occured. I realized if a muscle relaxant can stop my anxiety attacks. They had to be 100% mental. After that realization I didn't need any more pills, Never had an anxiety attack since.

So I do believe that medication like serapax can be a great short term fix. But they can become addictive. So you really need gauge your own personality to determine if thats a possibility course of action. If you have yoga centre near-bye (especially dealing with breath yoga) it would be worth questioning them about your anxiety.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I have mild depression and anxiety. I'm on meds that helps take the edge off. Nothing is a cure all, but anything that helps, right? Deep breathing can help calm you, music and whatever you think might help. Herbal calming teas etc. I should take my own advice as I am very stressed and rather depressed tonight. Life isn't easy. Hugs and good luck sweetie!

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Try getting a professional massage.

About 5 years ago I started going through all you describe. Including the caffeine trigger.
Dr, said Anxiety. So I figured I'd learn to deal with it.
In the last year I realized I have had a chronic headache the whole time (never been prone to headaches so it took a while to realize it was a headache, I just knew I felt different).
6 months ago or less because the Dr. found nothing wrong with me, they put me in touch with PT who suggested a thera-cane for self massage.
It's helped, but it's not a proper substitute for a pro massage.

Just a suggestion. Based on what sounds like similar symptoms.
But I have not had opportunity to try the massage myself, due to COVID, and I do not know if you have a headache.

All the best. Hopefully some advice, be it from me or others helps.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:46 PM
link   

The ability to play an instrument is highly therapeutic.

You can also influence your mind by nurturing your body through exercise, learning something new like another language, and of course legal M, specifically indica, to relax you at night.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I have mild depression and anxiety. I'm on meds that helps take the edge off. Nothing is a cure all, but anything that helps, right? Deep breathing can help calm you, music and whatever you think might help. Herbal calming teas etc. I should take my own advice as I am very stressed and rather depressed tonight. Life isn't easy. Hugs and good luck sweetie!
I second all this. Meditation and mindfulness has helped with anxiety.

Never had it until the “Update” Threads lol.

Hope you’re doin okay JAG. You’ve been on my mind

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Try getting a professional massage.

I used to get massages quite frequently. I’ll tell you about my last massage.
It was a guy, which I don’t have a problem with.
He had very hairy arms, that was the problem. He used his hairy arms on my back and it felt disgusting.
I could not relax at all. He was also trembling, which grossed me out.
His hairy arms, the oil and the trembling was just awful so I never went back!

I should go back because I did love getting a massage before that point.

Also wanted to add I used to suffer terrible terrible migraines, I’d like to say they are completely cured now.
A fantastic neurologist worked with me and I told him I wasn’t into pain killers so he suggested keeping my magnesium up.
It literally cured my migraines. I guess a lot of people are deficient, but some more than others and stress burns through it.
I upped my intake and also use it in baths and have not had one single migraine! YAY!!
edit on 23-2-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79

The ability to play an instrument is highly therapeutic.

You can also influence your mind by nurturing your body through exercise, learning something new like another language, and of course legal M, specifically indica, to relax you at night.

I am quite gifted at art, gardening, cooking, number crunching, some writing and a few other things. I’m going to be dead honest with you, the portion of the brain needed for music and language is missing in my brain. It sounds funny but it’s true.
I have never been able to play an instrument or speak another language. I have tried!!!! MY OWN mother speaks 2 languages fluently and a third conversationally. My mother is Asian and I cannot even pretend to do an Asian accent. Isn’t that weird? We all joke about it in my family. Luckily my kids are super gifted in both music and language, especially one daughter.
edit on 22-2-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Sorry to hear your story. You are not alone, many of us are struggling. Your description sounds pretty severe. I would talk to a doctor as it sounds serious.

But in the meantime, there are some things like kava and benadryl that are supposed to help, but the most effective stuff is probably prescription. But maybe that's not what you need. You don't have to agree with a doc, but it might be a good idea to see one.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Try ZMX... a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:15 AM
link   

It's been over 7 years since I've had a massage. Only 3 times in my life. Maybe 4 if you count an ex who was a masseuse, but I cannot count that encounter as strictly professional.
I've only had women give me massages (It's how it worked out, I never asked for it). But I can totally understand why the sensation of exceptionally hairy arms in oil would not be a pleasant feeling.
I hope you find the cause, and I hope you find the cure.
But defiantly make sure you reach out to your Dr. just to cross everything off the list.

Best of luck.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigbrooklyn
Try ZMX... a reply to: JAGStorm

Is that a magnesium supplement?

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgentAnderson
Sorry to hear your story. You are not alone, many of us are struggling. Your description sounds pretty severe. I would talk to a doctor as it sounds serious.

But in the meantime, there are some things like kava and benadryl that are supposed to help, but the most effective stuff is probably prescription. But maybe that's not what you need. You don't have to agree with a doc, but it might be a good idea to see one.

Found out there is a link (a very strong one) to Benadryl and dementia...

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Nothing used to bother me, or it took a helluva lot. But ever since I was diagnosed with Meniere's a couple of years ago I can feel my body tightening up from time to time and yea it's been more so this past year. Gaba has helped alot and Melatonin and I've heard great things about Delta 8 products too.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Nothing used to bother me, or it took a helluva lot. But ever since I was diagnosed with Meniere's a couple of years ago I can feel my body tightening up from time to time and yea it's been more so this past year. Gaba has helped alot and Melatonin and I've heard great things about Delta 8 products too.

I can’t even imagine having Meniere’s..... I’ve had some serious bouts of tinnitus due to fluctuating hormones so I can empathize with the misery...
I actually bought some supplements that increase GABA Ashawanga(sp) and Valerian tinctures. I just haven’t taken them yet. One of those things that you buy and forget about them. I am unable to use melatonin as it gives me crazy crazy dreams.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The nutritional supplement lithium orotate works like a miracle for some people.

Ashwaganda herb can also help with anxiety and stress. Check out some of the reviews.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join