It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the US need a Secretary of Food

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

Chef José Andrés pushing Biden for creation of a food czar

WASHINGTON — Restaurateur and activist José Andrés is calling for the incoming Biden administration to create a new cabinet position to address the growing food and hunger needs of the country as coronavirus cases steadily increase into the holiday season

I'm so conflicted by this issue.
On one hand we waste so much food in our great nation, not a single soul should go hungry.
On the other hand how has welfare/social services worked out so far? To see multi-generational families rely on a broken
system isn't helping anyone.

The one good thing that I saw in the store last year was that they were allowing food Seed purchases on WIC or EBT. I think this is the right
direction.

Do we really need a Food Czar?

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Do we really need a Food Czar?

No.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If the government ever creates a Secretary of Food, then expect widespread and selective shortages and other assorted screw-ups and population control methods😎

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Secretary of Steak

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleFox
Secretary of Steak

Speaking of Steak.. Just watch, they are already pushing for people to reduce red meat consumption.
It is only going to get worse.

Sorry that imitation meat just doesn't cut it for me.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Doesn't America already have an entire Food and drug Administration?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Riiight.

A Food Czar to "fix" food shortages caused by the lockdowns imposed by liberals to "fix" covid.
Lockdowns that don't work
Lockdowns that the WHO opposes

Brilliant !!!

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

FDA is more about safety.

This position would be addressing food insecurity.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Riiight.

A Food Czar to "fix" food shortages caused by the lockdowns imposed by liberals to "fix" covid.
Lockdowns that don't work
Lockdowns that the WHO opposes

Brilliant !!!

To be fair, there was food insecurity before Covid and there will be after Covid too.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

We don't need more government bureaucracy to not fix anything.

If we removed the spurious expiration dates from foods; streamlined onerous licensing for those running soup kitchens and food pantries, stopped giving huge tax benefits and subsidies for throwing food away or not growing crops; and limited lawsuits, then we would see more companies donating food rather than throwing it away and we wouldn't have the huge hunger problem we have in this country.

Less government not more is the answer.

edit on 16-12-2020 by Identified because: Add word

link   
So a "Restaurateur" wants an office created to regulate food. I'm more than a little impressed with this level of stupid.

So NO, we should normalize this idea of food scarcity because someone who has an invested interest in controlling how people get food thinks so.

From your link:

In an interview with Yahoo News, Andrés — who started working with Joe Biden before the election — stressed the need for a new position, a “secretary of food” that exists outside of the Department of Agriculture to oversee communications among various angencies and bring both practical and political insight into food and hunger to the White House and appropriate policy makers.

“We need to understand one thing: that food is more than the USDA. Food is more than just all of the mechanics of a smart agricultural system,” Andrés said. “Food is immigration. Food is health. Food is national security. Food is job creation. Food is economic growth.”

political insight? yeah that's a great idea, politicalize food. Like I said levels of stupid.
edit on 16-12-2020 by Guyfriday because: (no reason given)

link   

You do understand that one way they have assessed food insecurity in kids is to ask them if they know what they're having for dinner that night.

You know what? My kid is food insecure. It's not because he ever thinks he won't have food, but because he's not always sure exactly what we'll be eating. He just knows we will and there will be plenty of whatever it is. But especially on weeknights, that decision can go right up until we pull something out of the freezer to thaw it in the microwave for a quick pan saute or until we pick up the phone to order in Chinese.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

In what way?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Not to mention, we have SNAP and WIC to address hunger. But those two programs are horribly abused by parents who don't use them properly.

So I'm not sure how you force people to feed kids they don't want to feed.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

This sounds like the government:
1) increasing food taxes
2) decreasing availability of food
3) telling the public what food they're allowed to buy
4) telling individuals WHEN they're allowed to buy food.

Nothing good ever comes from more government

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Do you know what the scariest sentence in the world is?

"I'm with the government and I'm here to help"

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

Put the government in charge of the desert and there would soon be a shortage of sand.

I forget which conservative to attribute that one to.

When He opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come and see.” So I looked, and behold, a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand. 6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, “A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and do not harm the oil and the wine.”
Rev 6:5-6

In other words, us common peons will pay through the nose for our food measures, but the rich will have all they need. We could call such a czar Chairman Black Horse.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Yes we do!

I need someone to tell me what to eat and in turn raise grocery prices on "non essential" foods sky high because $14 for a tiny steak is not enough to pay for the privilege of being an American! I won't be happy until Chicken is $12 a pound.

I was going to order a half Bison for the freezer but I think I'll wait until this guy starts dictating my diet.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Doesn't EBT already cover the issue for those struggling to buy food?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

In what way?

I wonder if we need a better food infrastructure system.

For example, I think of the farmers pouring milk out or all the vegetables that were left rotting.
If there were a system that food could be saved at no cost to the farmers/growers etc.

Yes I know people are for less government, however waste is waste and if we could do something
to feed people why wouldn't we?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join