It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the US need a Secretary of Food

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

So NO, we should normalize this idea of food scarcity because someone who has an invested interest in controlling how people get food thinks so.

It's happening even if we choose to put our heads in the sand:

secure07a.chase.com...#/dashboard/accounts/summary/creditCard;params=card,57670454

www.foxnews.com...

Thousands of people lined up for groceries at a food bank distribution event in Dallas, Texas, this weekend

PROUD AMERICANPublished November 23
Tyler Perry donates food, gift cards to 5,000 families ahead of Thanksgiving, leading to miles-long lines

Near my town they did a food drive, it caused a major road blockage. There wasn't enough food for those in need.
edit on 16-12-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
If the government ever creates a Secretary of Food, then expect widespread and selective shortages and other assorted screw-ups and population control methods😎

If government took over a desert there would be a shortage of sand...

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

I recall a story about electronic grocery carts being developed during the Obama days. They were supposed to tell you what you have bought too much of and not enough of and basically Karen you all through your shopping trip ... for your own good, of course.

I'm sure whoever it was could make a fortune working in tandem with this Food Czar to make sure we all bought our approved food rations.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I don't think anyone is arguing that there are a lot of people having problems right now.

We are telling you though that a lot of people are having those problems BECAUSE of government imposed shut downs to the means of earning a living.

So now that we have a government-created problem, this idiot thinks the solution is even more government in our lives?

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: dug88

In what way?

I wonder if we need a better food infrastructure system.

For example, I think of the farmers pouring milk out or all the vegetables that were left rotting.
If there were a system that food could be saved at no cost to the farmers/growers etc.

Yes I know people are for less government, however waste is waste and if we could do something
to feed people why wouldn't we?

The issue is liability...

In a capitalist society, we waste food because we are so efficient. However, many would like to see better usage of wasted food to help those in need, but the problem is liability.

See as soon as the first homeless person gets sick from getting left over food from a business with deep pockets, you will have some blood sucking lawyer filing a lawsuit. It isn't worth the risk.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

So a "Restaurateur" wants an office created to regulate food. I'm more than a little impressed with this level of stupid.

I think a Restauranteur would be a great advisor to start with. It is a person familiar with how to get food from A to B and the process behind the scenes.
They are probably also a person that sees the amount of food waste and maybe has thoughts on how to control it.

edit on 16-12-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So now that we have a government-created problem, this idiot thinks the solution is even more government in our lives?

I won't argue Covid lockdowns are creating more food insecurity, but we know that it will still be a problem long after Covid is gone. There was food insecurity well before Covid.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

That would be very simple to implement. You just have to follow Shakespeare's advice. "Kill all of the lawyers". The majority of food waste by companies and corporations is fear of lawsuits. Plain and simple.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Please define exactly what food insecurity means to you.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

See as soon as the first homeless person gets sick from getting left over food from a business with deep pockets, you will have some blood sucking lawyer filing a lawsuit. It isn't worth the risk.

It's not a matter of left over food. The milk the farmers were pouring out was not left over. The fruit rotting on the vines were not left over.
We have enough food in the US. We have so much freaking food, I don't think anyone could argue with that.

The question is how do we get food to those that need it most.
Some mentioned EBT etc. If that truly worked why are there so many people in food lines?
Like the article says, there are a lot of people falling through the cracks.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I guess I just dont "get" the notion of creating positions of power whose job security depends on not actually solving the problem at hand. Mix in everything from corruption to conflicts of interest.. and it all seems a bit silly (being polite).

"We have a problem!"
"I know what to do! Lets appoint some random person to handle it! As long as we market it as a success, and have targets to blame for failures.. We never have to do anything but pursue more funding, power, & control!"
"Will.. Will people actually accept that?"
"Oh yeh, we will just do saturated marketing and say that anyone who questions it wants people to die"
"Brilliant!"

Solutions to these problems should come from the ground up, imo. The sheer volume of possibilities is incomparably superior to some random individual and his corporate-political buddies.

In other words, these folks have absolutely zero interest in actually helping the situation (though there are token gestures required to maintain the illusion). They just want to control the distribution channels and achieve total market domination. This is complemented quite effectively by other regulatory bodies that operate from the same premise.

They all either exist as an outright business, or as corporate proxies. None of them have any motivation to solve any problems whatsoever, and have extensive motivation to do the opposite.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Riiight.

A Food Czar to "fix" food shortages caused by the lockdowns imposed by liberals to "fix" covid.
Lockdowns that don't work
Lockdowns that the WHO opposes

Brilliant !!!

To be fair, there was food insecurity before Covid and there will be after Covid too.

How can there be, seriously?

You have Welfare already, AND FOOD STAMPS specifically for that purpose !!!
But the "recipients" of that aid just fence it for cash and/or drugs..

....no "Czar" can fix those stupids...

edit on 16-12-2020 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleFox
Secretary of Steak

undersecretary of crustaceans

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

But the "recepients" of that aid just fence it for cash and/or drugs..

You somewhat answered the question. Welfare and Food stamps don't work.
I've never thought payment was a good thing.

If you need food, you get food, healthy food etc.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Then change existing programs.

You don't create new ones.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

It's not a matter of left over food. The milk the farmers were pouring out was not left over. The fruit rotting on the vines were not left over.
We have enough food in the US. We have so much freaking food, I don't think anyone could argue with that.

The question is how do we get food to those that need it most.
Some mentioned EBT etc. If that truly worked why are there so many people in food lines?
Like the article says, there are a lot of people falling through the cracks.

There are two issues here...

In the cases you are mentioning such as farmers destroying milk, it is because the US subsidizes farms and often times pays them to cut production and not grow food. This goes back to getting rid of government farm subsidies.

The other side is the natural waste that occurs from efficient production and markets. Again, the reason this food is often destroyed instead of distributed to the needy is due to liability, nothing more.

There are other issues such as "food deserts" where poor areas may not have good grocery stores. however, the issue here is locating a business in a ghetto is fraught with high costs due to theft, etc.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Honestly, I’d say it depends on the details. What exactly would it entail?

My pet peeve — not being allowed to grow vegetables in you front yard. It’s illegal in many areas. Claim: lowers the property value. What value to humans does green grass have? Other than aesthetics?

School lunches. I support free school lunches. I’m very PRO LIVING CHILDREN. Nothing is their fault. And I think many bag on Michelle’s nutrition program, just because it’s Michelle.

Continue to keep fast foods in check. It’s abhorrent to me, the lines at fast food places. I can hear the screaming now: “Big Daddy Communist”.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Food stamps definitely work. (Of course anything is subject to abuse, but most parents just want to feed their kids).

The brain suffers from lack of good nutrition. Children ARE the future.

No child in this country should suffer from hunger.

I’m raising my 13 year old grandson. I receive no child support. I’m on SS income.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

In the cases you are mentioning such as farmers destroying milk, it is because the US subsidizes farms and often times pays them to cut production and not grow food. This goes back to getting rid of government farm subsidies.

The other side is the natural waste that occurs from efficient production and markets. Again, the reason this food is often destroyed instead of distributed to the needy is due to liability, nothing more.

There are other issues such as "food deserts" where poor areas may not have good grocery stores. however, the issue here is locating a business in a ghetto is fraught with high costs due to theft, etc.

Two beautiful examples of food waste, and one of food need.
Are we saying that can never be fixed?
Maybe a Food Czar is needed to help implement those changes, because
it sure hasn't happened yet.

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

there is cabinet position that have that has this covered, and a agency that is suppose to over see it.

it's called the US Secretary of Agriculture, and the agency that is in charge of it is USDA. the current program is what everybody knows as SNAP ( Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program )

what needs to be done is rework how they figure the amount available and make states follow it. most people that get it just barely get enough to get buy.

edit on 16-12-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join