It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeremy Clarkson Reviews the Tesla Model X

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Clarkson gives his opinion of Tesla's sporty Model X , he also pits it against an Audi R8 in a drag race and takes some layers for a drive.

It's a nice car with some interesting and amusing features but battery just doesn't do it for me.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Just don't get into a fender bender with them...

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   

When Top gear had the original Tesla on years ago they made out the battery died easy ,When Tesla examined the onboard computers data it turned out they had lied about it

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I have three neighbors with Teslas. The Model S and Model 3 performance. I drove the Model 3 performance. All I can say is if you want a car that is stupid fast, you will not be disappointed. I mean STUPID fast. It is mind blowing quick. You will not experience this kind of acceleration outside of a $200k+ exotics.

A surreal driving experience because all you hear is the electric motor whine. Sounds like you driving a Tie Fighter.

The car interiors are not the best imho, but most people with Tesla's love them.

I am going to try to get my to trade in her Lexus IS for a Model Y (the smaller version of the Model X). I'd get a Model 3 but I'm more partial to SUVs and will be getting a new Bronco Raptor when it comes out.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The electric motors are superior in terms of acceleration. And it's nice it's producing that power right at the wheels, with the new sports model tesla having one on each.

Electric is exciting in terms of performance, and control once they dial in the independent motors and power management.

Ironically, as it stands, I don't see them being better for the environment though. That being said, they have to start somewhere, and maybe if they figure out battery tech, we can have clean, high performance, fast charging cars with long range.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I know a couple people that love their Tesla’s.
Just remember they have some limitations.

I can drive 300 miles in my car, refuel in 5 minutes, drive 300 miles home.
In a Tesla you need a 2hr recharge... at 200 miles.

Those ranges are also going to decrease if you need heat or air conditioning.

It all comes down to personal choice and the will to live with certain limitations.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I can vaguely remember a YouTube video from 2007-2008 with some older American guy who had a company that made a normal battery that had insane performance and he seemed honest in the video , one big car company bought him up and locked him out of his office throwing him on gardening leave , He was petty miffed about it and how one car company after another got sold his idea ?

That might explain all the patents that are denied every year on nation security concerns

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I can drive 300 miles in my car, refuel in 5 minutes, drive 300 miles home.
In a Tesla you need a 2hr recharge... at 200 miles.

The new Model S gets 400 miles. The Cybertruck will get 700 miles. "Range anxiety" is a thing of the past. Further, how does a normal person drive? To work and back. A LONG commute is considered 25 miles each way. That's a week of driving to work and back. And guess where you recharge? At home in your garage while you sleep (at reduced rates when there is plenty of electricity on the grid.)

You will drive an electric car in the future, probably sooner than you think. Hopefully we will have more choices than just Tesla and a few wannabes. But I'm guessing that's going to happen.

There are always people who claim "It won't work for me!" and cite how different they are. But it isn't about one person. It's about how most people drive most of the time.
edit on 11/27/2020 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Remember this old theory about the early ford cars -pity all the links have now vanished

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Clarkson liked it more than I expected him to TBF.
If they can convert a die hard petrol head like him they must be doing a decent job.

I have to wonder how many miles you get if you put it in Ludicrous mode and floor it round a track-guessing around 30 miles?
And i wonder if it gets noticably hotter inside after you really hammer it (due to battery heat).

Looks fun,but pricey-and I always think the resale value on electrics is likley to suffer as the battery only has a certain life span,and costs a ton to replace.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Or, you know, most people that live outside of cities/suburbs. Who raise animals, haul stuff ect.

I’m all for an electric vehicle as long as it works for me and most people where I live. Let’s not be smug about that though, you know with the whole, “it’s not about you but everyone else” stuff. It’s always about “you” to you.

Let’s talk about that 700 mile range with the cyber truck: is that “city drivin”, highway, hauling/towing - what? What happens when I can’t make it to where I’m going and back without a portable charger? Come on man!

edit on 2711112020 by Variable2027 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2711112020 by Variable2027 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Variable2027

Or, you know, most people that live outside of cities/suburbs. Who raise animals, haul stuff ect.

I’m all for an electric vehicle as long as it works for me and most people where I live. Let’s not be smug about that though, you know with the whole, “it’s not about you but everyone else” stuff. It’s always about “you” to you.

Let’s talk about that 700 mile range with the cyber truck: is that “city drivin”, highway, hauling/towing - what? What happens when I can’t make it to where I’m going and back without a portable charger? Come on man!

Vast majority of people do not drive more than 25 miles per day.

Yes, there are some people who do drive long distances daily or frequently. However, that is the exception, not the rule. Those people will continue to use gas vehicles. Even delivery trucks typically aren't putting 200 miles on a vehicle per day.

Electric is far superior to gas engines in pretty much every way except extreme distance driving. About the only advantage a gas engine has is when guys can over compensate our short comings by rev bombing... not quite as cool with an electric even if the loud car would get smoked.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   

That's all your conjecture. You figure it might not work, so you insist it won't. You won't need a "portable charger." You'll recharge at home, every day, if necessary. What car gets 700 miles a tankful? You also figure you won't ever change the way you do things. Here's the deal. In ten years you will not be able to even BUY a new gas vehicle. Your EV will get over 100 MPG equivalent and be much cheaper to maintain. No oil changes. No lube jobs, just to name a few. Chevy will have an all-EV lineup, even for the "Lectric Vette." The rest will follow suit or go bankrupt.

You will still be able to buy used gassers--for awhile, but as people change to EVs gas stations will begin to fail and be fewer and further away. Support will dwindle and become more expensive. Eventually you'll get out the calculator and do the math, and you'll see the light. You may as well put a 220 volt outlet in your garage today cause your gonna need it,

Don't worry, though. You'll still be able to see the old gassers in museums and tell your grandkids how you used to drive them.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

What they are not thinking about with Gas/petrol is it is the waste product from refining the plastics /paints etc are what is worth the money with all the gas guzzlers off the road they will need to pump it back into the ground .

Mechanics /and people who make parts like exhausts will be on the scrap heap soon

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

And all that is leading to this. Is it really something to look forward to ?

I remember years ago there was a movie that starred Lee Majors and Burgess Meredith, about a driver who had an old F1 car. Drove it across country, being chased all the way because gas was outlawed. They hunted for him relentlessly. Once again I ask, is that something to look forward to ?

edit on 27-11-2020 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

And all that is leading to this. Is it really something to look forward to ?

I remember years ago there was a movie that starred Lee Majors and Burgess Meredith, about a driver who had an old F1 car. Drove it across country, being chased all the way because gas was outlawed. They hunted for him relentlessly. Once again I ask, is that something to look forward to ?

I remember "A Boy and his Dog," too. Great movie and I liked the ending. So what is your point? Gas won't be outlawed. It will just be expensive and in short supply. You don't find blacksmith shops on every corner like you used to either, though some people really like horses. If you can afford them, you can still indulge yourself. But yeah, I think cleaner skies is something to look forward to.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I didn’t say electric is bad, I would love one if it was a viable option, it isn’t right now and it won’t be in the near future. Doesn’t matter how bad you want it, not happening soon, let’s be realistic.

I’m either too young or too old to know what rev bombing is, not sure why that would be a factor at all. My point is - will I be able to tow/haul anything worth a damn and get 700 miles per charge? Nope, not now and probably not in the near future. Not anything someone like me can afford at least. Plus - what happens when you are somewhere with no charging stations?

Electric vehicles will do wonders in specific areas that can support it but let’s not pretend that “most people” do this or that and apply that standard as a way to move forward.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Well that’s your conjecture too.

Already have the outlet, for practical reasons not for an EV.

All electric vehicles would be awesome, I agree.

Could your location, in 10 years, support all EVs? Nope, it’s not possible. Your grid wouldn’t be able to handle it. Let’s not even get into where those batteries come from and where they go when they go out (it’s all bad homie)

Thanks for responding to me like I’m an idiot btw, winner winner chicken dinner

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Those cars are stupid fast/spaceship/next level. I’ve driven a few and work with people that have them, amazing things they are. I would love to own one but it’s not practical for me.

posted on Nov, 28 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Electric vehicles will do wonders in specific areas that can support it but let’s not pretend that “most people” do this or that and apply that standard as a way to move forward.

"Most people" will do this because "most people" don't need 700 miles on a charge and "most people" don't travel cross country in search of charging stations. And "most people" don't haul anything at all, even those with pickups. "Most people" drive to work and drive home 5 days a week and that's pretty much it except for a weekly grocery run. The Feds say 25 miles is considered a "long commute," so "most people" won't even drive 200 miles a week. That is the target demographic, which will work just fine WITH the current grid. Your heat pump uses FAR more electricity, as does your oven and your water heater.

Resistance is futile. You will drive an EV within ten years and in twenty, you won't be able to find a gasser or a station to fill it up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join