It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My prediction: Suicide rates to climb following the TV series “The Stand”

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
They will never get Roland 'right". Gosh, that movie was such an effing abomination. I want it wiped from my mind, even if it makes me roont.

I am willing to go all Hannibal on your brain to help.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
I believe King advised strongly (and it was heeded) to gloss over the world wide pandemic part of the narrative, saying "it's about the Stand".

I really enjoyed the miniseries from the 90's. Haven't read the book- trying to decide if I will attempt to before or after watching this one.

I'd read it afterward, that way it adds depth, and definitely read the uncut original manuscript version. LOL and keep on saying Whoopie Goldberg is not Abigail Freemantle, Ruby Dee was closer to the book's original characters

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Mother Abagail Freemantle 100 plus years old character is now Whoopie Goldberg as Whoopie Goldberg her real age

I was curious about this new version but this absolutely kills it for me.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Never Despise
M-O-O-N, that spells "why is every Stephen King movie or TV series (except the Shining and Shawshank) so abysmally awful?"

Everybody knows that, laws yes.

Aw man, don't leave out Pet Sematary (the original version, not the 2019 crapfest). Fred Gwynne was awesome as Jud!

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: Never Despise
M-O-O-N, that spells "why is every Stephen King movie or TV series (except the Shining and Shawshank) so abysmally awful?"

Everybody knows that, laws yes.

Aw man, don't leave out Pet Sematary (the original version, not the 2019 crapfest). Fred Gwynne was awesome as Jud!

Pet Sematary original was okay could have been so much better though.

Misery was great
Stand by Me was good
the Shawshank Redemption is now iconic

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I loved the Shinning, too.

And while I didn't read the books, the Green Mile was awesome.

I guess I liked all the older movie versions. You know, back before "politically correct" started ruining movies, and Mr. King let them.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I was pissed when "they" censored or self-censored stuff like The Simpsons after Fukushima because of Homer's job. Like nannies.
Now, now the social engineers dont care about spreading fear and negative programming. The more the better.
Little details uncover a pattern

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

I loved the Shinning, too.

And while I didn't read the books, the Green Mile was awesome.

I guess I liked all the older movie versions. You know, back before "politically correct" started ruining movies, and Mr. King let them.

The Shining was great and The Green Mile was excellent too. Well, he is getting older and I'm sure they offer him boatloads of money, but like in the introduction of the Stand complete uncut, he says maybe it would be better if the story and characters were left up to the individual reader's imagination. More and more I believe that when I see the movie adaptations.

I did enjoy Castle Rock series it wasn't great but it was entertaining enough

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The book was OK. Only part I thought was weak is there is no way the main guy, Stu I think, should have lived after being abandoned in the desert with a broken leg. His dog keeps him alive lol kind of unbelievable.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Castle Rock was pretty solid overall, shame it was cancelled. I also believe the movie adaptation of The Mist was pretty good as well. I hope they never touch Insomnia, because they would butcher it, and so far it's one of my favorites of his.

I imagine they're going to butcher Dune, already have by calling it a crusade and not jihad, which is a very important aspect of the entire series of Dune novels. I remember going to watch Ender's Game and just knowing it was going to be bad, I underestimated just how bad it could be. Then we have The Dark Tower...I love Idris Elba, fantastic actor, he however is not Roland. Especially given the fact of how important race actually is in that book series, heck people give Susannah/Detta weird looks because of her race, her entire back story is racial in nature. Yet you casually cast a black man as Roland, give me a frickin' break already.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I recommend it. Try and get the unabridged one if you can. It's not the most exciting thing like some of the other commenters said. But it's pretty deeply unsettling and hopeless. I found it a lot more terrifying than some of his pure horror style books.

Personally, my favourite Stephen king stories are the Stand, the gunslinger, the green mile and the running man, so take it as you will.

Also, if you've never actually read the green mile and only seen the movie, the book's a lot better, even though the movie's pretty good. Probably one of the better Stephen King adaptations.
edit on 17/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Castle Rock was pretty solid overall, shame it was cancelled. I also believe the movie adaptation of The Mist was pretty good as well. I hope they never touch Insomnia, because they would butcher it, and so far it's one of my favorites of his.

I imagine they're going to butcher Dune, already have by calling it a crusade and not jihad, which is a very important aspect of the entire series of Dune novels. I remember going to watch Ender's Game and just knowing it was going to be bad, I underestimated just how bad it could be. Then we have The Dark Tower...I love Idris Elba, fantastic actor, he however is not Roland. Especially given the fact of how important race actually is in that book series, heck people give Susannah/Detta weird looks because of her race, her entire back story is racial in nature. Yet you casually cast a black man as Roland, give me a frickin' break already.

So disappointed in Dune and Ender's Game adaptations

The Mist movie(not the series) was great I think Frank Darabont directed it as well as Shawshank and the Green Mile he gets that Stephen King's craft/expertise is the depth of the characters. Once a character gets your attention you will follow it wherever it goes for the most part. Like Roland and the Dark Tower, it's really a subject matter I'm not really into, but it just caught me.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Mother Abagail Freemantle 100 plus years old character is now Whoopie Goldberg as Whoopie Goldberg her real age

That kills it for me.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

That kills it for me.

Yeah. But you know, Marilyn Manson is rumored as the "Trashcan Man". That's one reason to watch it.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: TDawgRex

You know what show makes me suicidal? The Kardashians.

The Stand is fictional, those morons are real.

Hate to remind you it could be worse.., all I got to say is Piers Morgan.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Here, here! Knowing that I share the same planet with those creatures, and that I am even a member of the same species, nearly throws me into a deep state of depression.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

Hate to remind you it could be worse.., all I got to say is Piers Morgan.

What are you doing, trying to push people over the edge? That's really unkind!
edit on 2020 11 17 by incoserv because: formatting.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Silver Bullet was pretty well done,and so was the original Salem's Lot.I liked the first mini series of The Stand ok,could have been better.Hollywood could screw up just about anything now,not wasting time watching anything with Whoopie in it.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Didn't know a remake is coming out. Figures since Hollywood hasn't come out with anything original in decades. I'm sure the 2020 version will be even worse which is hard to fathom.

Lockdowns are their ultimate weapon to inflict more suicide.

From the guy who just assumed Office of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy...Ret. Brigadier General Anthony J. Tata.
Published October 30, 2018.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 01:56 AM
link   
It is my opinion that this statement can be applied to anything king has ever written.a reply to: DrakeINFERNO

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join