It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Humans Have a Sense of Gravity?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
What is the purpose of balance ?

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: rom12345
acceleration and gravity are equivalent.
Balance is a sense of acceleration.

Where did you get gravity and acceleration are equivalent ?
You need some physics courses in the worst way.

Balance IS NOT a sense of acceleration .

Denying ignorance.
Why ?
Some folks still believe the world is flat.

The Equivalence Principle
edit on 000000100842108America/Chicago15 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   

What is the purpose of balance ?

Balance
There ya go.
Done.
Movin On
edit on 10/15/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

acceleration and gravity are equivalent.
Balance is a sense of acceleration.

Where did you get gravity and acceleration are equivalent ?
You need some physics courses in the worst way.

Balance IS NOT a sense of acceleration .

Denying ignorance.
Why ?
Some folks still believe the world is flat.

The Equivalence Principle

Like I said.
Seek physics knowledge.
Done
Movin On

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
from you link
a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.

weight and gravity are connected

stand down buddy.

edit on 000000100904109America/Chicago15 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

from you link
a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.

weight and gravity are connected

stand down buddy.

Not equivalent as you earlier stated and nothing to do with equilibrium or balance.
Mass creates gravity.
Once more , I leave you with "take some physics courses"
With that explanation , I will not be back.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Yes. The vestibular sense.

www.cliffsnotes.com...

Gravitation and movement sensations are produced by movement of two vestibular sacs in each ear that lie between the semicircular canal and the cochlea. Both sacs are filled with millions of tiny crystals that bend hair cells when moved. In turn, impulses giving a sense of position are sent to the brain. (Motion sickness originates from excessive stimulation of the vestibular organs.)

And also no...

* Equivalency Principle and free fall:

In Newtonian physics, free fall is any motion of a body where gravity is the only force acting upon it. In the context of general relativity, where gravitation is reduced to a space-time curvature, a body in free fall has no force acting on it.

An object with only gravity acting upon it would feel weightless I believe.

In general relativity, objects in free-fall follow geodesics of spacetime, and what we perceive as the force of gravity is instead a result of our being unable to follow those geodesics of spacetime, because the mechanical resistance of matter prevents us from doing so.

edit on 15-10-2020 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think we do.
Occasionally when a very deep low pressure system is looming overhead, an incoming storm. My head feels the pressure. It really hurts. It’s like my head is being crushed. I had read somewhere that headaches can be triggered from storms and to vertically evacuate. So I started testing how going downstairs would help.It did.

Is that gravity? I don’t know. Just thought about that in comparison to the pyramids.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

But.... why objects that are heavier on one side will tip over?
weight distribution is essential for balance.
I think it’s related

It’s what would be taught to you by a Physiotherapist in learning how to walk after an injury, you are to plant both feet firmly on the ground or you lose balance. Balance lessons and alignment of the body are taught first before walking lessons. First learn how to center your body, feet, legs, knees, shoulders, head. The body weight must be equal.Or you are listing to one side and in danger of falling. Some therapists insist on training in bare feet so you are at one with the surface of the Earth.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Probably not untill we start floating. Then the FEAR kicks in!

Isaac Newton, "Discovered Gravity". At least that is what I was taught in the last "education cycle". But back then?

We were all facing a "new ice age"! Because the old one, was old, and not "new".
And they didn't have enough "science" "data" to understand how much damage the ignorant cows/cattle have done, to "heat up" the earth.

Ditch the Parka! Buy more sunscreen!

Newton didn't really "discover" it.

It was always there.
He just gave it a name? And "science" just ran with it?

OP. Drink water.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

But.... why objects that are heavier on one side will tip over?
weight distribution is essential for balance.
I think it’s related

It’s what would be taught to you by a Physiotherapist in learning how to walk after an injury, you are to plant both feet firmly on the ground or you lose balance. Balance lessons and alignment of the body are taught first before walking lessons. First learn how to center your body, feet, legs, knees, shoulders, head. The body weight must be equal.Or you are listing to one side and in danger of falling. Some therapists insist on training in bare feet so you are at one with the surface of the Earth.

On a fulcrum the heavy mass will win out.
Very little (if not any whatsoever) to do with gravity.

It’s what would be taught to you by a Physiotherapist

Yeah , I always go to a Physiotherapist to learn physics.
The both start with Phys.... , right ?

(end Goth's venom dripping sarcasm)
edit on 10/16/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   
When a person is UPSIDE down Underwater they DO NOT KNOW to swim up if it is totally dark they have NO sense of direction what so ever better take diving courses .
as for the rest of the post The moon and suns gRavity does have a effect on all life on earth its suttle but there .

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The thread was about the Human body.

Centre of Gravity in the human body:
www.physio-pedia.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

That's interesting! It would seem the closer we get to the center of the Earth, the stronger gravity is on our frail bodies. It might crush us. Has any human gone deep enough to find out?

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I was tempted to say tongue in cheek "Every morning when I get out of bed and my bad back does not help" but then as I continued to read I became intrigued.

I can say that when I was underground as a child I 'Felt' the immense mass of the mountain above me, it made me feel claustrophobic and I do not now like going underground so I do believe we do have some sense of what is around us, the relief of entering the open air was profound and it felt like being set free like being underground was almost a trap, I do not have a problem with small spaces however so it was just while I was in that deep pot hole it felt wrong and like I should not be there, like I say I could feel the mass of the rock around me.

Does that mean I could feel gravity maybe not but I can say I felt cut off from the universe and it was horrible to me.

I would say we do have a sense of gravity though, a sense of balance is just that as is our ability go gauge weight and at an almost instinctual level to aim and throw a stone we are making some kind of internal calculations in our mind's that must take into account gravity, mass, velocity and we have been doing that since forever so even before the concept of gravity existed we were already long aware of it.

edit on 16-10-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
The thread was about the Human body.

Centre of Gravity in the human body:
www.physio-pedia.com...

That is the Center of Balance.
Folks say "gravity" , but that is a throwback to ancient times
Think fulcrum

Example :
Put a chair against a wall
Have a man bend over until their head touches the wall and try to pick up a chair.
They can't .
Now , have a female try.
Easey Peasey.
Center of Balance for a man is the center of the upper part of the chest.
A woman's is much lower and in the hip area.
Again , nothing to do with gravity.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I think you are thinking of magnetism of some sort

Center of mass

I'll bet all our senses are heavily effected by gravity.
In fact I can't think of anything in universe that has nothing to do with gravity.
edit on 0000001012541012America/Chicago16 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

In general relativity, objects in free-fall follow geodesics of spacetime, and what we perceive as the force of gravity is instead a result of our being unable to follow those geodesics of spacetime, because the mechanical resistance of matter prevents us from doing so.

Yeah, but what are you really trying to say? Sorry, bad joke.

What is the geodesics of spacetime? I see the words are in English but I have no idea exactly what that sentence means. Mechanical resistance to matter is a good band name though.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Gravity is supposed to be a 'pulling' force within the Earth. We don't feel or sense being 'pulled' down to Earth, when we fall from air.

Consider when you're actually pulled in another direction when walking. You definitely feel the pull on you, in such cases.

If you fell off a ledge, or out of an airplane, you do NOT feel any pull from below on you. You simply fall freely through the air.

When you pull a piece of metal off of a magnet, you feel the pulling force of the magnet, as well.

Gravity doesn't exist, and that's why we don't feel ourselves 'pulled' down to Earth from air, whenever we fall from above Earth.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   
We always say we FALL through air, we never say we are 'pulled down from below'.

Why? Because we don't feel ourselves being pulled down from below. If we DID, we'd certainly say that we're being pulled down from below.

Our senses make it clear, when we're pulled, and when we're NOT pulled. No doubt at all.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join