It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Humans Have a Sense of Gravity?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I know that we can feel acceleration in our bodies, and we can sense the direction of a gravitational pull, since we're able to stand up and balance ourselves in it.

But I wonder if people can sometimes feel the presence of large masses even when they're not moving. You often hear people who visit and go inside the pyramids in Egypt describe a feeling of "heaviness" above them, like they feel it pressing down. Of course, a lot of that might have to do with being in such a confined space. I've also heard of people feeling "lighter" when they're off the ground, like in an airplane or standing on a mountain.

So maybe the answer is "sometimes," if the mass is big enough and they're standing on it or in it. I don't know what evolutionary advantage humans would have if they could feel gravity like that. Finding water with dousing, maybe? Just a shower thought. I guess it would be easy enough to test, although it might involve hanging extremely large masses over blindfolded people.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I do not think we have any sense of really large masses other that the size of the moon or Earth itself.
Studies were done on people having any sense of where the moon was on blindfold tests, did not show a convincing statistical anomoly.

If another world, say the size of Earth was really near us, we would feel lighter and lightheaded, less heavy..., but those would not be brain sensory caused awareness. IMO.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

We do. At least men do. That's why it kinda feels like our bootyholes pucker up and testicles sucking up inside our bodies when we look off the edge of a cliff.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Vertigo is a sense of Gravity.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   

This thread also invokes the force that would make astrology believable, which is the supposed gravitational influence that the remote planets have on our person, and not only that, but tied to the days we were born...

Talk about a bull# story that this is. As scientists we know that the remote planets have .000000000 (and keep going) gravitational influence on our bodies, but the real proof is that this year, 2020, the pandemic, the civil unrest and racist rioting.... not one of the "Horoscope guru's" predicted them, and not only that, most said 2020 would be a great and prosperous year.... guess that is a relevant statement, if you ever heard one.
edit on 15-10-2020 by charlyv because: s

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Yes but probably not in the way you're thinking.

We know when we're upside down. We know which way to swim to the surface.

Rats born in space don't have this sense of orientation.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Poeple provide the greatest gravity we can experience.

I could feel her across the room, but hadn't seen her... yet....

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well I sure do! everytime my 290 lb body falls to the ground, ouch Lol

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345

Good point. Rather a sense of "loss of gravitational fixation"

When I was in the service, I went through and induced vertigo simulation, where the gimbaled crew compartment was physically put through about every aspect you could imagine. After a while, I could not tell what was up or down. Terrifying, actually.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't fly often, I think twice in my life, but both times I could feel a slightly pulling sensation downward. Like I had a tether. It was a unsettling feeling. So maybe?

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA
I don't fly often, I think twice in my life, but both times I could feel a slightly pulling sensation downward. Like I had a tether. It was a unsettling feeling. So maybe?

A seemed pull from below is the same as a seemed push from above. A typical feeling as an aircraft starts to decelerate and the downward velocity starts to increase.

Your velocity vector changes and you feel lighter, just like heavier if you are in a climb.

I do not think it is a sense of gravity, but rather a sense or the difference in speed and velocity on a moving object (you!)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
to use your pyramid example, is likely just that feeling of intense confinement inside such a structure.

If they were able to actually "feel" gravity , they would feel lighter inside the pyramid, as the largest portion of mass of the structure is above them, and therefore the tiny, miniscule gravitational field of the pyramid itself would actually be pulling them up, slightly.
edit on 15-10-2020 by MasterAtArms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Vertigo is all in the sense of self-balance .
No gravity involved

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

Good point. Rather a sense of "loss of gravitational fixation"

When I was in the service, I went through and induced vertigo simulation, where the gimbaled crew compartment was physically put through about every aspect you could imagine. After a while, I could not tell what was up or down. Terrifying, actually.

That was all designed to affect the sense of balance , which determined sense of direction.
Thus the tests.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yes. Your inner ear (cochlea?) and the fluid and hair sensors tell us when we are on a hell's coaster.
The weird thing is when the simulation stops, and you are still on that roller coaster.

You will not believe the instruments in front of you, and you are looking at a perfect sky above, ground below presentation, yet you do not believe it as everything is still spinning. I can readily see how people die in a simple spiral spin as you do not know when you are getting out of it.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

No gravity involved

The root of balance is derived from an equilibrium of gravity. They are one in the same. Gravity is involved because your know when you are standing up straight... perpendicular to the force of gravity. That is the reference. Anything other than that is a real physical disturbance, or a malfunction of the inner ear.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
acceleration and gravity are equivalent.
Balance is a sense of acceleration.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I would say yes , and yes in the literal since that when your next to or inside a massive object you can feel the slight power of gravity surrounding it.

Man gained a true since of Gravity when the Apple hit Newton on the head , his Psychosomatic understanding of gravity spread to the minds of all human beings.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

originally posted by: Gothmog

No gravity involved

The root of balance is derived from an equilibrium of gravity. They are one in the same. Gravity is involved because your know when you are standing up straight... perpendicular to the force of gravity. That is the reference. Anything other than that is a real physical disturbance, or a malfunction of the inner ear.

Yes. But translated through the workings of the inner ear , based on balance.
Not on gravity.
Like I said.
edit on 10/15/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog
acceleration and gravity are equivalent.
Balance is a sense of acceleration.

Where did you get gravity and acceleration are equivalent ?
You need some physics courses in the worst way.

Balance IS NOT a sense of acceleration .

Denying ignorance.
Why ?
Some folks still believe the world is flat.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join