It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest writing and teaching org demands teachers use Ebonics instead of English

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

College admissions scandal ring a bell ? Heck when I was in a economics class in the 80s the professor was bragging about his RED file and telling us robbing banks was a great occupation. No surprise the "educators" are subverting anything they can and the parents are in most cases funding this marxist revolution.
Ya know there are groups with a mission to overthrow the government at any cost, using our own youth ?

IMO based on facts ... See sig

edit on 932020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Blllaaapppp...!

Dis must mean my white ass can say it finally, big tings. Ya see me.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

This from LoneCloudHopper's post is telling...

The members of this committee include:

April Baker-Bell, Chair, Michigan State University
Bonnie J. Williams-Farrier, California State University (Fullerton)
Davena Jackson, Boston University
Lamar Johnson, Michigan State University
Carmen Kynard, Texas Christian University
Teaira McMurtry, University of Alabama at Birmingham

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Gandalf77

What the Chinese have done is written the book on systematic, rote learning. If they were as good at innovation as they are wt rote learning, there would have been no stopping them, but they aren't.

It's a fair point you make--especially with the step back China took educationally post Mao and the advent of communism.
Modern China is playing catch-up in a lot of ways, including ways that aren't so legal (ahem, industrial espionage).
The Chinese people I've worked with are smart, hard-working, and relentlessly driven. I have no doubt they'll keep getting better.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

cccc.ncte.org...

The curent Chair of the CCCC is Vershawn Ashanti Young, "who goes by dr. vay, is a scholar within the disciplines of communication and writing, gender, performance, and race. "

"He held a talk at Oberlin called “Making Black Lives Matter in Digital Spaces: Race, Justice, and Literacy In..."

oberlinreview.org...

Aside from being logically incorrect I find the quote included in the OP

"Teachers stop using academic language and standard English as the accepted communicative norm, which reflects White Mainstream English!
...We must teach Black students about anti-Black linguistic racism and white linguistic supremacy!"

Maybe he has identity issues arising from being called Ashanti.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

But what about chinglish, or hillbilly speak, or all the other broken dialects of English? Why don't they all get official status too? In fact, why bother teaching proper communication in school at all?

Just let everyone make whatever sounds they feel comfortable making and call it language, then be upset and offended when the other person doesn't understand your random noises. That's the only truly politically correct way to settle this matter.

Try listening to deep south Cajun. It's almost as bad as Ebonics.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
lmfao

buckwheat speech.

english is english. just because you say it with an accent?

do they have 'wiseguy' ny accent classes? supposedely i have that accent lmfao.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

Regardless of the name of the organization, I'd be curious if any of the members actually have Ph.D's in English.
I know it's just anecdotal, but I was an English major, and never once in any undergrad or grad course did I EVER hear a prof--even the most liberal prof--suggest that the English language is somehow 'antiBlack' and should change to include something like Ebonics. Sure, we talked about the need for inclusive language and using the correct terms for race, ethnicity, gender, etc. Those things certainly evolve over time for obvious reasons.

Further, I'm from Idaho, so I can speak a little Hick when necessary. But even if I use "ain't" at home from time to time, I would never use it in an academic or professional paper, article, email, etc. Nor would I ever have expected my profs to accept it. I must be getting old.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I think the real danger is that this proposal is coming from universities, everyone on that list seems to be part of some faculty.
No one in their right mind would think of replacing standard English with Ebonics and yet there it is, promoted and endorsed by the top educators. I can't believe that list and yet I watched all that Peterson stuff and you wouldn't believe what some of those academics in key position were promoting. So I believe it after all!

I think MetalThunder is right when he says this is a political movement and groups behind the scene are driving this whole thing.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If this is accepted, I will start pretending I don't understand what they are saying. I mean, since it's a real language and all. I don't speak ebonics.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Hes aff his heid if we aw sterted talking in oor native jargon hunnerz iv the patter widne be goat

Noo wit am sayin..

Plus English is full of magic.

Grimoires n Spells but dont be using curse words.
FUKU is a curse.... Look it up prove ne right.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

There was just so much wrong with your staements. First anyone can become a member go join costs you 50.00 a year. Next this was an article written by a couple of members not endorsed by National Council of Teachers of English. Next they arent the largest teachers organization not even close they have about 25000 members. Next this Ebonics thing you can always find a liberal professor or teacher for highschools etc that will think this is a good idea however the other 95 percent will tell you this is stupid. This is why no education system in the country allows ebonics to replace engish its just not practical as they become adults.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

I think the real danger is that this proposal is coming from universities, everyone on that list seems to be part of some faculty.
No one in their right mind would think of replacing standard English with Ebonics and yet there it is, promoted and endorsed by the top educators. I can't believe that list and yet I watched all that Peterson stuff and you wouldn't believe what some of those academics in key position were promoting. So I believe it after all!

I think MetalThunder is right when he says this is a political movement and groups behind the scene are driving this whole thing.

There will always be politics involved with this sort of thing. The CCCC is an old organization, and this was published by one particular committee. So it's important to remember that these views aren't necessarily being endorsed by any university, per se, or even the majority of members in one department. For good reason, universities need to allow for academic freedom and diverse (and sometimes rather controversial) perspectives from members of their faculty.

Personal bias here: the CCCC tends to focus on composition and rhetoric. I'm an old literature and criticism guy, so I tend to look to the Modern Language Association of America (MLA) and more specialized literature orgs. I haven't seen anything resembling the "Black Linguistic Justice!" demands on their site, but I'll keep looking around. I also have a good friend with a Ph.D in comp and rhet. I'll see what he knows about this business...

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

1 r34lly w15h 7h3y w0uld l34v3 7h31r l4n6u463 4l0n3.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I want to know what happened to Esperanto? I think that died soon after it was invented.

ETA: Damn! You Muthafakahs say some fahnee-az cheit!
edit on 3-9-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

1 r34lly w15h 7h3y w0uld l34v3 7h31r l4n6u463 4l0n3.

There’s way too many numbers in that sentence.
I got hives just looking at it! Excuse me while I find some Benadryl to dump in my beer.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I speak jive.

(Sorry if that's already been said. If it hasn't been, it needed to be.)

But seriously, at what point will someone finally say enough of enough of this liberal bullsquash and do something about it?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I want to know what happened to Esperanto? I think that died soon after it was invented.

That’s funny. I was actually just thinking about that earlier today when I first read this thread. I think the Baha’i faith still uses it, among others.

According to Wikipedia, it is the most widely used “constructed international auxiliary language.” Evidently it was created by a Polish ophthalmologist, Ludwig Zamenhof (I think his wife may have been of the Baha’i faith as well?). I had no idea....

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Oh it was just l33t speak.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join