It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nothing evolved to immortality so far.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Species adapt to their surrounding but it seems like nothing evolved to survive yet. Maybe evolution built in a gene to counter overpopulation.

Everything adapted very well to die in its surrounding.

After thousands of years we're still in an early stage of evolution, the embryo stage like we havent seen the light yet not even having eyes to see it..

not ever having been born.

What does the future hold?

It's morphin' time!

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
There are species of fungi and jellyfish that are essentially immortal.

It would be difficult to define anything as “immortal” at this point, since Time, itself, has not yet ended, and immortality is usually defined as “living forever”, or to put it another way, until the end of Time.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I suppose that theoretically immortality can be achieved if you travel at the speed of light. Your own time would crawl by while billions of years could pass in the rest of the universe, making you essentially immortal to everyone but yourself and whoever might be traveling with you.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Immortality would cause overpopulation when not mastered.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance
Immortality is all there is...

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I suppose that theoretically immortality can be achieved if you travel at the speed of light. Your own time would crawl by while billions of years could pass in the rest of the universe, making you essentially immortal to everyone but yourself and whoever might be traveling with you.

If you fell into a black hole, the time dilation would be such that while you would percieve no temporal difference for yourself (and you would actually be spaghettified, turn into a plasma and die), you would be able to observe nearly the entire history of the rest of the universe, looking outwards.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Water bears certain bacteria I think there is even a jellyfish that ages backwards.

And that's just the stuff we have found. There many animals yet to discover. And we don't understand everything about all the animals we do know.

Those who believe in the soul believe it to be immortal and all the rest is just dirt that the soul covers itself in.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   
"Like a soon to be dead prince once said, your ether Perfect, or your not me."
- Cell, TFS

I'd rather longevity rather then immortality.

edit on 11-8-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88

I think immortality would be literally Hell. Tens of thousands of years of dealing with human stupidity. All of your friends dying, and the new friends dying, and so on forever. Just the sheer and utter boredom.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Immortality would definitely be like Hell, with only one station that you couldn't turn off...and never able to leave.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Closest we have got is Keanu Reeves I think.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: doorhandle

Chuck Norris?

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Keith Richards.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
One word... entropy.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
Keith Richards.

Nah mate, 'es bin dead for yonks. They just keep wheeling 'im out all the time...

Glue a fag in 'is mouf, tie a wig on wif a bandanna, and tie his hands to a guitar and no-one'd be the wiser.

Pack 'im back in the crate at the end of the gig. 'E aint gonna rot because of all the chemicals. Bloomin marv'lous.

edit on 11/8/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Or to quote the great Cheyenne peace chief White Antelope's death song at the Sand Creek Massacre:

Another respected Cheyenne chief, White Antelope, had, like Black Kettle, trusted the US soldiers and convinced his people to do so. When he saw the troops shooting at the Indians, he folded his arms across his chest and began singing the death song—Nothing lives long/Only the earth and the mountains. Nothing lives long/Only the earth and the mountains. He was among the first of 163 to die.

www.radcliffe.harvard.edu...

And yeah, it sums up the truth for all material bodies.
edit on 11-8-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

The eagle would be eating out it's own heart for a long, long time.

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Specimen88

I think immortality would be literally Hell. Tens of thousands of years of dealing with human stupidity. All of your friends dying, and the new friends dying, and so on forever. Just the sheer and utter boredom.
So, I guess someone would come up with the ultimate Simulator where each new map, is a reincarnation. And just to keep the game interesting, you get your memory wiped clean after every map. But to be honest, something isn't honest with that scenario. You might get fed to a alligator way too soon in that life... Cutting it short. Or, you might get aborted, never getting a chance to play the map. I wonder who would create such a system... Me thinks we need a new system... Yes, I agree, Immortality is hell, but being eaten alive is a new level of hell we don't need...

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
Species adapt to their surrounding but it seems like nothing evolved to survive yet. Maybe evolution built in a gene to counter overpopulation.

Everything adapted very well to die in its surrounding.

The goal of evolution seems to be for the species to survive, rather than a single individual. Considering this, the system is much more mature and established than you give it credit for. Immortality of an individual would equal uniformity and stagnation, which seems to be the exact opposite of what nature is trying to achieve.

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye
So, I guess someone would come up with the ultimate Simulator where each new map, is a reincarnation. And just to keep the game interesting, you get your memory wiped clean after every map. But to be honest, something isn't honest with that scenario. You might get fed to a alligator way too soon in that life... Cutting it short. Or, you might get aborted, never getting a chance to play the map. I wonder who would create such a system... Me thinks we need a new system... Yes, I agree, Immortality is hell, but being eaten alive is a new level of hell we don't need...

If the game is played by a single entity, then there is nothing unfair about it.

If we assume that there is an entity that created a game of life for it's own entertainment, then it makes perfect sense for it to make every possible variation of said experience. Being outside of time and space is the same as being in front of the television, or a computer screen. We watch death and tragedy all the time, we strive for all kinds of emotions as long as we are just spectators.

Each time the game is over, the entity would just pop out into it's actual reality getting all the collective memory back, thinking to itself 'who should I do now, businessman from 80s, hooker form 1600s?' A system developed to cope with infinite loneliness. A system that works perfectly well if you try to comprehend infinity and the struggle to make it different each time.

We ourselves don't remember when the consciousness kicks in. If it happens after we get outside of the womb, that would make abortion just a mere mechanism to create drama for other experiences, rather than experience in itself.

This theory makes more sense than you think. Every religion has a 'gods plan you can't comprehend' which is a convenient way to ignore everything that doesn't make sense in the concept, but if the plan is just to create infinite variation of experience, the life becomes the goal in itself and there are no more plot holes.

But then you are left with 'there is a plan, your suffering is not for nothing, it will be better later.' vs 'you are the god, you have no plan, you are just creating scenarios to cope with your loneliness.'

No one will choose to believe in the more depressing one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join