It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social distancing: The stinky solution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If gyms or pubs should ever reopen (speaking for our lock-down in South Africa, where the sale of alcohol and tobacco is still banned), or some other places where social distancing might be a problem (thinking religious gatherings), why not spritz people with a very unpleasant stench upon entry?

One could think of extract of durian fruit or skunk emissions, or cheaper home-made mixtures (a new cottage industry?), or even making customers step into doggie poop upon entry.
Anything that is unpleasant enough NOT to make people want to get closer than 3 meters of each other, or at least to act as a sharp reminder of invisible boundaries.

Perhaps one would have to vary it every other week to prevent people getting too used to it. For example, rotten fish the one week, and cow pies the next. But it could facilitate social distancing with reduced customers and louder speech at pubs, for example.

OK, after four shots, I can imagine the efficacy waning: "We all smell like crap. Who cares? Come bro, give me a man hug. Because you're my mate, and I will stand by you (even if you smell like a skunk) laah la la la laah"! But then the barman can say you fellas have had enough, go home.

It may sound strange, but just thinking of a way to enforce social distancing while saving many businesses from going under completely.

In lieu of consistent coronavirus testing in some places it could even act as a marker of when to go into quarantine. Put up signs that read: "WARNING: IF THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU DON"T SMELL LIKE POOP WITHIN THREE METERS YOU ARE CONGESTED AND MUST GO HOME IMMEDIATELY"!

I know there's always that one dude: "Flip bro, that stuff they spritzed on you in the pub is really potent, just please move a meter back".
"What do mean? I wasn't in the pub. I was only shopping and got hand-sanitizer".
Oops. Awkward silence. But he probably doesn't have to worry much about social distancing ever.

But for most people who'd like to pop out for a drink and go home afterwards, I think it's a stylish and workable solution.
edit on 18-7-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

I'd make a more useful comment but I can't think of anything to say about your idea that won't break ats's rules. Just no...

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
OK, granted, if this song makes you want to bear hug your mates, or scrum down despite the stench, the point of olfactory immunity has been reached.

Time for last rounds.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   
one bar put up an 2020 by research100 because: removed part of dulicate wording

edit on 18-7-2020 by research100 because: (no reason given)

my post looks wierd...that part that always shows up at the bottom is to the right and my username pic and post are to the ledft of everyone How do I fix this?
edit on 18-7-2020 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   
OK so armies can use a "putrid smell" as a weapon, but we may not, despite the fact that we're told we're in a viral war-zone (in full Susan Sontag's "war against disease" metaphors: en.wikipedia.org...).

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
You see the critique of this lies not in the fact that it might not work ... it lies more in the fact that it might be a bit "yucky".

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If i was the sole dictator of this planet (which i really am not...)

I would say, earth citizens, come and go as you please. Self-quarantine as you please. Travel. Party. Go to work.

Let all of this #-festival play itself out with it's own weight.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 01:23 AM
link   
If you were already doused with the "bad smelly stuff", getting within a couple feet of another equally smelly person would probably not make that big of a difference.

posted on Jul, 19 2020 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Firewater

Remembering we're talking of spaces already complying with chair and table distancing.

This cannot keep people apart who are hellbent on connecting.

Long-term it won't work, but as a short-term barrier - you stink bro - it might.

I could also mention some perfumes and deodorants where I go, no that gives me allergy and recoil.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join