It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quaker Foods to Rename ‘Aunt Jemima,’ Scrub Logo ‘to Make Progress Toward Racial Equality’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Quaker Foods, the company behind the “Aunt Jemima” brand of syrup and other breakfast foods, says it will rename this line of products and discontinue its label’s image of a black woman “to make progress toward racial equality.”

The picture has changed over time, and in recent years Quaker removed the “mammy” kerchief from the character to blunt growing criticism that the brand perpetuated a racist stereotype that dated to the days of slavery. But Quaker, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, said removing the image and name is part of an effort by the company “to make progress toward racial equality.”

Quaker Foods to Rename ‘Aunt Jemima,’ Scrub Logo ‘to Make Progress Toward Racial Equality’

I wonder how many people are having a problem with Colonel Sanders, Uncle Ben or Betty Crocker being white.

What I'd really like to say about the madness is simple: Get your syrup from Canada ... the maple kind. If you've never had real maple syrup, you don't know what you're missing out on (and neither do your kids).

Cheers,
Snarl

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Remember , Po Folks had to change the name to Folks.
Seems someone hated the way us Southerners spoke.
No matter who spoke it.

And , as I stated in the other thread , Aunt Jemima was my favorite Aunt of all my Aunts growing up.

edit on 6/17/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

So they think that will increase the sales.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Oh well....I guess Stubb's BBQ sauce is next.. can't have a black man on the label, right after that black lady spokesperson for Popeyes Chicken
edit on 17-6-2020 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2020 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Any company that does stuff like this...clearly don't want to be a business anymore.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The world goes bonkers.

The companies use these mascots, to imply the greatness of the product, by implying there is someone behind it, knowing what they do, cultural.

Italian guy on pizza boxes... would look strange if there was an African of color on the box, presenting it.
Tschakalaka sauce from Africa would look strange if there was an Italian guy on the bottle, presenting it.

It is just marketing. Common sense is lost each day.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I wonder how many people are having a problem with Colonel Sanders, Uncle Ben or Betty Crocker being white.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?

Uncle Ben ain't white.

But yeah.

LONDON, June 17 (Reuters) - Mars Inc is “evaluating all possibilities” regarding changes to its Uncle Ben’s rice brand image, the food company told Reuters on Wednesday, following news that PepsiCo Inc was dropping its Aunt Jemima brand.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
The world goes bonkers.

The companies use these mascots, to imply the greatness of the product, by implying there is someone behind it, knowing what they do, cultural.

Italian guy on pizza boxes... would look strange if there was an African of color on the box, presenting it.
Tschakalaka sauce from Africa would look strange if there was an Italian guy on the bottle, presenting it.

It is just marketing. Common sense is lost each day.

Common sense has been MIA for some time.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Uncle Ben ain't white.

Shhh , damn , let us keep one symbol of good from the past.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
Let's replace AH with the Count from Sesame Street on "Mein Kampf".
Same stupidity.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If we are getting rid of Aunt Jemimas and Uncle Bens products, do we look at changing "Cracker Barrel" to "Caucasian Barrel or White Barrel?"

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Uncle Ben ain't white.

I threw his brand in there just to see who would catch me.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
If we are getting rid of Aunt Jemimas and Uncle Bens products, do we look at changing "Cracker Barrel" to "Caucasian Barrel or White Barrel?"

That brand name has been under fire for a long time now.
While normal , educated , sane , good folk don't give a sh__ what the name is.

edit on 6/17/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Legends say, that he is on there because he was a rice farmer in Texas producing the best rice, you could get. Then other farmers started to market their rice like "As good as Uncle Ben's".

So him being on there is actually honoring the guy for his legacy.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Legends say, that he is on there because he was a rice farmer in Texas producing the best rice, you could get. Then other farmers started to market their rice like "As good as Uncle Ben's".

So him being on there is actually honoring the guy for his legacy.

Check. Lived in Asia the majority of my adult life. I remember bringing home a box of Uncle Ben's to my wife. It's not a fond memory. -giggle

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

I didn't know you could fit white folks in a barrel? I thought they were talking about Saltines....

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I didn't know you could fit white folks in a barrel?

Depends on what kind of acid is in the barrel.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The problem is a lot of those brands have roots in somewhat racist images. Aunt Jemima used to have the old fat black mammy image and then they updated it. Same with Uncle Bens with the black butler / porch jockey type image.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: Edumakated
I didn't know you could fit white folks in a barrel?

Depends on what kind of acid is in the barrel.

"Yeah, Science b*tch!!!" (Jesse Pinkman voice)....
edit on 17-6-2020 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Uncle Ben`s was THE rice I bought, when I cooked rice.

Then I tried cheapo brands that were way better. Today I do not waste plastic, I buy a small sack of rice that lasts me for eternity and it is still better than the Uncle Ben`s of today, in my opinion.

I cut back a lot on convenient food and go back to basics with most things. It is more important than ever with the crap they use in even the most basic products.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join