It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quaker Foods to Rename ‘Aunt Jemima,’ Scrub Logo ‘to Make Progress Toward Racial Equality’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
less we forget John Pemberton was a soldier for the Confederacy... IT'S THE REAL THING

John Pemberton

John Stith Pemberton - Wikipedia
Search domain en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pembertonen.wikipedia.org...
John Stith Pemberton (July 8, 1831 - August 16, 1888) was an American biochemist and Confederate States Army veteran who is best known as the inventor of Coca-Cola.In May 1886, he developed an early version of a beverage that would later become world-famous as Coca-Cola, but sold his rights to the drink shortly before his death.

next they will be messing with my collards and cornbread

edit on 17-6-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
less we forget John Pemberton was a soldier for the Confederacy... IT'S THE REAL THING

John Pemberton

John Stith Pemberton - Wikipedia
Search domain en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pembertonen.wikipedia.org...
John Stith Pemberton (July 8, 1831 - August 16, 1888) was an American biochemist and Confederate States Army veteran who is best known as the inventor of Coca-Cola.In May 1886, he developed an early version of a beverage that would later become world-famous as Coca-Cola, but sold his rights to the drink shortly before his death.

next they will be messing with my collards and cornbread

They can take my life , but they will never take my collards and cornbread .(said in my best Mel Gibson war cry voice)
That's actually part of dinner tonight.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This must be a serious issue as there are now 2 threads on it

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The problem is a lot of those brands have roots in somewhat racist images. Aunt Jemima used to have the old fat black mammy image and then they updated it. Same with Uncle Bens with the black butler / porch jockey type image.

I was more comfortable with the look of the old Aunt Jemima. Never once thought about her picture being a symbol of racism. My mom did the cookin' back then and I don't much recall the image of Uncle Ben.

Changing them ... eliminating them ... seems to be drawing attention to a non-existent (made up) problem. As soon as I figured out what real maple syrup was (ironically, introduced to me by the black cooks in my Army unit) I never went back to the poison you find behind the Aunt Jemima label.

Truthfully, who do you picture in your mind when you see one of my posts on the boards?

When I see your posts, I am reminded of a full-bird colonel (MIT grad and an MD even) who was in charge of a hospital I worked at. One of the smartest men I have ever met. I recall shocking the daylights out of him in the middle of a full staff meeting by calling him out on just how smart he was. The memory still makes me LOL.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

We can finally tell our grandkids we achieved true change in 2020.

RIP racism

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

The problem is a lot of those brands have roots in somewhat racist images. Aunt Jemima used to have the old fat black mammy image and then they updated it. Same with Uncle Bens with the black butler / porch jockey type image.

I was more comfortable with the look of the old Aunt Jemima. Never once thought about her picture being a symbol of racism. My mom did the cookin' back then and I don't much recall the image of Uncle Ben.

Changing them ... eliminating them ... seems to be drawing attention to a non-existent (made up) problem. As soon as I figured out what real maple syrup was (ironically, introduced to me by the black cooks in my Army unit) I never went back to the poison you find behind the Aunt Jemima label.

Truthfully, who do you picture in your mind when you see one of my posts on the boards?

When I see your posts, I am reminded of a full-bird colonel (MIT grad and an MD even) who was in charge of a hospital I worked at. One of the smartest men I have ever met. I recall shocking the daylights out of him in the middle of a full staff meeting by calling him out on just how smart he was. The memory still makes me LOL.

There are far more important things to worry about than images that could be perceived as negative. The black community has much bigger problems imho.

With that said, I do find the old images grating. I am glad they updated them. However, completely eliminating the brand name entirely seems over the top.

Yes, real maple syrup is delightful. We usually buy some premium maple syrup. My wife doesn't buy Aunt Jemima anymore as we try to avoid overly processed foods when we can.

Appreciate the compliment.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Snarl

We can finally tell our grandkids we achieved true change in 2020.

RIP racism

Only two ways to get rid of it.
1. Stop teaching it to your kids.
2. Kill everybody who is not like you (and, don't forget, the ones with freckles ... or the wrong hair color ... ain't right either).

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Appreciate the compliment.

I appreciate you ... more than my words have the ability to express.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

My husband is addicted to Popeye's chicken sandwiches.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: RickinVa

My husband is addicted to Popeye's chicken sandwiches.

Popeye's is by far the best fast food fried chicken. Even though I was born and raised in Atlanta and loved Chik Fil A well before they went national, I have to admit.... that Popeye's chicken sandwich is off the chain. Much better than CFA imho.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeoStarchild
a reply to: Trueman

Any company that does stuff like this...clearly don't want to be a business anymore.

They can rename it "Aunt Tifa". It could be successful.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

And nobody asked Jemima's opinion. We need to know what she has to say about all this mess.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Since Aunt Jemima is based on a stereotype - - it is clearly racist -- and now is a good time to correct it.

Aunt Jemima's been a thing for more than 130 years now, and its origins are deeply racist. The character is based on an 1800s "mammy" -- a black servant in a white household. Specifically, Aunt Jemima is meant to portray a real-life woman named Nancy Green, who Quaker had previously described as a "storyteller, cook and missionary worker" ... but failing to mention she was born into slavery.

www.tmz.com...

If you are black, I'm interested in what your opinion is.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

HAH! Good one, I nearly upchucked my coffee!

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Have u seen the land of lakes logo? a native american woman on her knees presenting butter to you. My question to you is where does this all end??

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: NightVision

When we were kids, someone showed us how to cut out the maiden, cut around the butter box on the top & both sides to make a flap, then fold her up twice at the waist. If you did it just right, when you opened the butter box flap, her bare knees were there, looking exactly like boobs!!! See the dark circles on her knees? 🤣 Was that a ‘thing’ back then? Did anyone else do it?

I have a few of the vintage, brown glass, woman shaped, Aunt Jemima bottles. They are considered collectibles for awhile now & if you can still find them, are going up in price. This should make them worth even more! Score!

WOQ

edit on 17-6-2020 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

And nobody asked Jemima's opinion. We need to know what she has to say about all this mess.

Senator Elizabeth Warren has the talking version of Aunt Jemima cookie jar on her kitchen cabinet. But only Warren knows how to make her speak.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It's getting out of hand people.

My account at Zerohedge got suspended for posting the lyrics to "Colored Spade" from the musical "Hair" in reponse to their article on this same story. And the post got deleted.

Grammy and Tony award winning musical lyrics, they deleted the post and suspended me.

I guess they proved my point for me?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Since Aunt Jemima is based on a stereotype - - it is clearly racist -- and now is a good time to correct it.

Aunt Jemima's been a thing for more than 130 years now, and its origins are deeply racist. The character is based on an 1800s "mammy" -- a black servant in a white household. Specifically, Aunt Jemima is meant to portray a real-life woman named Nancy Green, who Quaker had previously described as a "storyteller, cook and missionary worker" ... but failing to mention she was born into slavery.

www.tmz.com...

If you are black, I'm interested in what your opinion is.

So a former slave is given the chance to be commercially successful, her image spread worldwide over a hundred and more years ... and people are against that?

I'm also curious why you only want black people's opinions. Seems kind of racist to only care about someone's opinion because of the color of their skin.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Next we'll have "Mascot Advocates" demanding that all the sports mascots be gender and race neutral.

<< 1    3 >>

join