It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified mosquitoes could be released in Florida and Texas beginning this summer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hello ATS. How are you doing? "We're doing well, Lostbook, and you....? I'm doing well, ATS. Thanks for askng!

So, anyway. a company named Oxitec gained a patent back on May 1, 2020 for its genetically modified mosquitoes which are set to be released into Florida and Texas over the next 2 years. According to the article, this "release" will utilize the male counterpart of this species because it's the female counterpart that is known to carry and transmit: dengue, chikungunya, yellow fever and Zika viruses The plan is for the GM male mosquitoes to mate with the female counterpart and the female offspring die, thus, saving the US from the deadly diseases that the females carry. What could go wrong?

This summer, for the first time, genetically modified mosquitoes could be released in the U.S.

On May 1, 2020, the company Oxitec received an experimental use permit from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to release millions of GM mosquitoes (labeled by Oxitec as OX5034) every week over the next two years in Florida and Texas. Females of this mosquito species, Aedes aegypti, transmit dengue, chikungunya, yellow fever and Zika viruses. When these lab-bred GM males are released and mate with wild females, their female offspring die. Continual, large-scale releases of these OX5034 GM males should eventually cause the temporary collapse of a wild population.

However, as vector biologists, geneticists, policy experts and bioethicists, we are concerned that current government oversight and scientific evaluation of GM mosquitoes do not ensure their responsible deployment.

So, this plan could eventually collapse the population of this type of mosquitoe..........? Nature is a delicate balance as-is aned man should not interfere in this way in my opinion. This move could lead to many unforeseen consequences. Maybe this type of mosquitoe carries certain diseases but it rids the environment of others...? Maybe they keep other more deadly mosquitoe populations in check...? Or maybe certain type(s) of bird or frog populations feed off of these type of mosquitoes, and getting rid of tjhesee mosquitoes would negatively impact another population of insect or animal in the food/ viral chain....? See where i'm going with this....? I think man should stop trying to play god. What say you, ATS?+

theconversation.com... gun-139710

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

i got a problem with this, i know that mosquitoes are pests and cause disease.
but every creature big or small serves a purpose in nature but what purpose mosquitoes serve, i'm not sure of. man trying to eradicate them in one form or another, will come and bite us on the azz.

edit on 6-6-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Law of unintended consequences keeps screaming in my head every time I look at it.

I grew up in Florida hate mosquitoes with a passion but, what would removing them do to the environment, and the bigger one we have been told animal X has been genetically modified to accomplish X before and the scientists were wrong.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Looks like they must have plenty of money as they have worked in other countries already including Brazil and the Netherlands

Oxitec

A fine balance indeed

or a tool for secret muderes

Lets hope they dont upset the balance and then require a different insect to be introduced

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

but every creature big or small serves a purpose in nature but what purpose mosquitoes serve, i'm not sure of. man trying to eradicate them in one form or another, will come and bite us on the azz.

Yup, and that bite will be worse than the bite from these mosquitoes.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Yup, and that bite will be worse than the bite from these mosquitoes

of that i have no doubt.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Yup, and that bite will be worse than the bite from these mosquitoes.
How's the saying go............? The cure will be worse than the disease...?

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

What could go wrong?

........I think man should stop trying to play god. What say you, ATS?

I'm not sure what to think, certainly I think the bloody timing is bad in the middle of a pandemic of a different nature, let's hope 'they' know what they are doing ..........this time!

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

So, anyway. a company named Oxitec gained a patent back on May 1, 2020 for its genetically modified mosquitoes which are set to be released into Florida and Texas over the next 2 years.

What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

So, anyway. a company named Oxitec gained a patent back on May 1, 2020 for its genetically modified mosquitoes which are set to be released into Florida and Texas over the next 2 years.

This could go wrong in all kids of ways. What are some of the ways you think it could go wrong?

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hmmm. Male mosquitoes don't bite, but maybe with the GMO they might decide to bite people. Last time they tried making bugs that were sterile, it didn't work and ofspring of those originals became more of a problem.

Science at it's finest. Human nature, if someone fails someone else will try the same thing and still fail. Those glowing japanese fish were supposed to be sterile, but my daughter has all kinds of glowing Japanese fish in her tank from the two she had bought, she gave hundreds of those aquatic rabbits away already.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Mosquitoes are pests, but they are a food source for a lot of other beneficial animals such as birds and other insects. The best way to control them is to get rid of standing water sources (ie, water in tires, pots, etc) and have plenty of other animals that feed on mosquitoes.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
did a little reading on mosquitoes and what purpose they are good for what purpose they serve in nature.

turns out there are only a few types of them that spread disease. other than that they are part of the food chain that evidently/eventually reaches humans.

so i guess if they could target just the ones that spread disease, and can ensure that no others. or that animals that feed on them won't die out.
but that's not gonna happen.

i also found out that not all mosquitoes are blood suckers, some eat nectar and help pollinate plants, well if we're having problems with bees and this effects those mosquitoes... could be some deep doo doo coming

when i was in the Corps the duty station i spent most of my time at was a special weapon depot,there were some big ones there and they would leave some big welts on you.we use to joke about that they were radiation fed from the weapons and then grew to ten times the size as normal and came out at night to torment us Marines.
edit on 6-6-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   

This could go wrong in all kids of ways. What are some of the ways you think it could go wrong?

Well for starters, they are a very large food source for bats.

Haven't we had enough of the consequences of screwing around with that species?

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   

edit on 6-6-2020 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Oh man just like in the movie Jurassic Park what could go wrong life will find a way life finds a way that's what it does

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The last time they did this it didn't turn out so well if I remember correctly.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If you can show anyone what animal or insect relies on that Bug and show that animal or big has no other source then go SAVE A WHALE .
fleas and them would solve 100 different issues they cause .
Dont worry plantly of flys left for frogs .
ps mite start a fund to save corna wile your at it after all its not nice to fool with the balance aof nature
edit on 6-6-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I am in the mosquito killing business, and I think this is a bad idea. Mother nature has her balance for a reason, even if it makes us uncomfortable. (that's where I come in
)

But it's important to note that male mosquitoes don't but us, only those bitches do.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm worried for the bats too.. isn't this their main food source?
And how do they even get permission to do this without us knowing until it's already been done!? I don't remember anyone asking the residents of Texas if we wanted this or not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join