It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cumputer parts sourcing.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Sorry to hear that. I've never had issues with newegg, touch wood. I've spent a LOT with them in the last few years.

I think the most important questions to help you are:

What's your budget?
What exactly are you going to use this PC for? HTPC, Gaming, office & browsing etc.

So often people go to the extremes, either buying / building a monster PC that far outweighs their needs, or they build something cheap and are then disappointed when it can't do what they expected.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Yeah, that's what I told them. I paid the new price and they sent me junk for it.

When I told them that I placed an order for a new product they basically told me that refurbished means it's new.

I wasn't having it. I sent them pictures, and they actually tried to say that it was my fault or the delivery service's fault. So, I sent them pictures of the box it came in and told the people I was going back and forth that it makes no sense that I would purposefully mess it up and then ask for a the same exact thing. Just actually new.

After almost a month they finalky quit BSn me and sent a new one.

That was the last time I did business with them. That was 2012 or 2013 I think.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

I would never lease a pc or buy one of the brand made ones. Firstly, the reason most of them are "affordable" is because they're using EOL products and can't be upgraded. Secondly, they always turn out to be more expensive in the long run.

That being said, not everyone can build their own. To each their own and what makes sense for them.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Whatever you decide, make sure you get at least 32 gig of RAM. I went for 16GB and regretted it.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I don't know about 2012/3, but I know on Newegg website that if items are refurbished they are marked so, and they usually have a filter on the left side of the page where you can choose new or refurb

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Whatever you decide, make sure you get at least 32 gig of RAM. I went for 16GB and regretted it.

It depends on what the OP is going to use the PC for. 16GB is still lots of ram for most people. Now, if you're into video editing, 3d rendering, etc. then yes, 32gb Ram is better. If not, as I said before, go with a high end MB that will support something like 128 GB, and you can always upgrade later. If you don't need 32gb now, it's now worth spending the money on it

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Micro Center , either at the store if you have one around , or online
Watch for sales.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
From the OP:

This computer will be used for photo and video editing, and while I'm at it probably for gaming. 

I agree with you, a reply to: TortoiseKweek. I'm waiting for RTX cards to come down in price because my GTX is still adequate and I don't fancy spending hundreds when they will be half price next year.
edit on 1652020 by Wide-Eyes because: Format

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TortoiseKweek

Alrifmght. So, I'm just about done wrapping things up, but so far I'm looking at:

Graohics card: GeForce RTX 2080
CPU: I9
Ram: Corsair Vengeance (4 of em)

That right there I figure will run me about two grand at a minimum.

The following items are what I haven't really decided on yet, but I will go ahead and list what I expect to pay.

SSD: apprx. 300
MB: apprx. 300
PSU: apprx. 200
CPU cooling setup: apprx. 100 or more
Monitor: eh, about a grand.
Keyboard: I'm willing to pay up to 200

This is all USD.

So overall about four grand.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I mean I could build a #box from dumpster diving, but I don't really want to go back to my childhood days of using an old CRT with all of my components ziptied to a pegboard with a standing room fan blowing on them.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I could probably save some money by going with Linux, and going with a couple of GTX cards. Going with two Ram cards instead of four, and going with a respectable amount of GB instead of TB.

Really just depends I guess.

The main issue I'm having is there are a bunch of new motherboards that are new to me, and figuring out which one would be the best for me is what's become a bit of an annoyance.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   

If you're starting from scratch then get a ray tracing GPU.

My GTX is the only thing I kept from my previous build.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

Alrifmght. So, I'm just about done wrapping things up, but so far I'm looking at:

Graohics card: GeForce RTX 2080
CPU: I9
Ram: Corsair Vengeance (4 of em)

That right there I figure will run me about two grand at a minimum.

The following items are what I haven't really decided on yet, but I will go ahead and list what I expect to pay.

SSD: apprx. 300
MB: apprx. 300
PSU: apprx. 200
CPU cooling setup: apprx. 100 or more
Monitor: eh, about a grand.
Keyboard: I'm willing to pay up to 200

This is all USD.

So overall about four grand.

4 Grand!? Man, you can build a kick a** system for that price.

Firstly, I'd go AMD ryzen instead of Intel. Unless you're a gamer, Ryzen is the way.
I'll link to Newegg Canada for examples

MB ($280 CAD) - Well, that's the key. Something like this: www.newegg.ca...

CPU - ($280 CAD) - I'd go with the Ryzen 3600: www.newegg.ca...

CPU Fan ($60 CAD) - www.newegg.ca...

PSU - ($200 CAD) - Something modular that gives you the ability to expand and easy cable management - www.newegg.ca...

SSD for OS - ($170 CAD) - www.newegg.ca...

HDD for Storage - ($150 CAD) - www.newegg.ca...

DDR4 - ($123 CAD) - www.newegg.ca...

If you need a tower, additional cables, monitor, mouse & KB, etc - just look around. BTW, if you're budgeting $1000 US for a monitor, you can get some serious eye candy for that, but again, unless you need it, maybe hold out until prices drop.

As for Windows 10 - I've never used this site, but heard good things. www.urcdkeys.com...

Good luck with the search, procuring the components and building your new baby!

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

If you're starting from scratch then get a ray tracing GPU.

My GTX is the only thing I kept from my previous build.

How many games actually support full ray tracing? None that I'm aware of, it's too taxing and kills the FPS. After all this time, only a few support partial ray tracing, with shadows etc. It's a waste of money. In time, the tech will mature, but I would NEVER buy an RTX Card from this generation.

edit to clarify - If you can't get a GTX version, try AMD for this gen. Otherwise, if you are hell bent on Nvidia, then I'd go RTX2060 super. Again, depends on what you are looking for
edit on 16-5-2020 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Thanks! I definitely appreciate the list you came up for me.

Like I said in the OP, the main focus of for this pc build will be for video and photo editing. Probably music too now that I think about it, and as I tend to do a lot at once, and will have several programs open and running at the same time I don't want the system bogging down on me.

The gaming aspect of it isn't as important, but I still want my this computer to be able to handle it at the highest settings if I decide to play a game on it.

As far as AMD goes I'm not against it. Just never used it.
I already have some good peripherals. Got all the cables I'd ever need as well. I'm a terrible cable hoarder. Never know when I need that one odd cable. At least I keep them organized though.

The monitor price range is more or less, because I want two monitors, but if I can get a great solo monitor I may be able to resign myself to working on just the one.

I know I can build a cheaper one. I just don't want to cheap out on parts, be unhappy with it, and end up spending more money and waiting longer.

I may end up just buying a cheaper complete set up, and upgrading over time as I get more familiar with all the new stuff that's out.

I don't trust internet reviews, and currently I don't know anyone who is into building computers anymore. I moved back to my hometown to find that all of them moved off to bigger and better things.

Again thanks! You provided the feedback I was looking for.

If anyone else has any suggestions lemme know! I'll take everything into consideration, and when I'm done I'll upload the set up.

Probably won't be flashy though. I'm not into the whole lit up rainbow stuff. lol

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TortoiseKweek
a reply to: madmac5150

I would never lease a pc or buy one of the brand made ones. Firstly, the reason most of them are "affordable" is because they're using EOL products and can't be upgraded. Secondly, they always turn out to be more expensive in the long run.

That being said, not everyone can build their own. To each their own and what makes sense for them.

We aren't leasing these. I think you may have misunderstood.

These were leased out to rich people, corporations, universities etc... the only people that can afford that sort of thing. When the original lease is up, the computers are refurbished, then resold.

Workstation machines easily out-power traditional desktop computers... no contest. They are far more robust; better CPUs/chipsets/power supplies. They are easily upgradeable. If you find one at a decent price, get one. Seriously.
edit on 17-5-2020 by madmac5150 because: Yarrrr

edit on 17-5-2020 by madmac5150 because: Yarrr part 2

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I can see that you've already been given some good advice so I'm not going to add much.
An Nvidia 2060 super and 2070 super are a pretty good card now but ray-tracing is the new thing and Nvidia are about to move to 30** cards for better ray-tracing as the 20** is very average for this so maybe buy a cheaper model and upgrade when the 30** series comes out depending on when you are going to build it. Of course any wait and there's always a "new" something coming in a month or two.
When the new (going to use a dirty word here) consoles come out at the end of the year ray-tracing and 4-8k will become more standard for gaming, just something for you to think about.

edit on 17-5-2020 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Over here in the UK the only real retail source left is Curry's PC world (Dixons) that still do some component's and you can still build system with them albeit at a knocked up price compared to the old Maplin route.

However if you are willing to trust your card and I never had any problem's with them when I also over ten years back used to build my own system's then NovaTech is also a good source - or used to be at any rate and actually they used to be often a little bit cheaper being competitive more with the likes of Maplin than retail giant's like the dixons group.

www.novatech.co.uk...

And both here and in the US it is worth checking out these online retailers as they are often quite good BUT like anything always check them out as best you can first, novatech is actually quite reputable and like I said back in the day I never had any problems with them but were you pay more at Curry's PC world and they are now more or less a high street monopoly with no competitors left at least you can walk into the store if something does not suit you or you find problems and have it replaced or exchanged as it may suit you - or refund though they are always trying to get out of that one down at ol' Dixons and have even been known to ignore there legal requirements on more than one occasion when it come's to refund's (and god forbid we should ever mention mastercare and the many problems people had with them but at least they will exchange even if you have to often argue the point for your 'statutory' refund when it come's to such).

However I believe there are definitely better sources stateside than these AND also in Europe, the Dutch used to be very good on the consumer electrical's front but that was back before it all went full EU, still dutch sites may still be worth checking out today as well.

Best of luck - these day's I often just buy a base station then swap a few component's if I need to for better one's.

(like I say I used to shop with Novatech quite a bit many years ago, never had any problem's with there component's but that was over ten years ago, actually just had a look and I am tempted myself to perhaps buy a decent SSD since I am still running my old PC on old hard drives).
edit on 17-5-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   
At the moment I'd hold off unless you are desperate as the used parts market is pretty much the same as the normal new price and the new price is well up.

Theres also new MB's coming out for Intel and AMD which will make decisions different, theres a shortage of parts as the usual break that China takes for their new year was extended for a couple of months so theres a backlog of demand which is driving up prices.

There should be new graphics cards coming out later this year as well from AMD and they could be very good ones.

But depending on the exact needs it maybe that any old potato of a computer will be fine so long as its connected to a well calibrated monitor if you are doing photo work and don't mind an extra slurp of coffee between actions in photoshop.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Couldn't you just buy a 4k oled hdr10+ TV for your monitor?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join