It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cumputer parts sourcing.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I haven't built one since 2013 but I probably wouldn't choose to build a new one right now unless I had to (and then it wouldn't be a choice). Too much BS going on right now. But I'm not a gamer so my basic PC I built in 2013 serves me just fine.

If I had to, I'd try to get all the parts on Amazon. I don't assume there's a lot of difference whether you use Amazon or Newegg right now (assuming you can find everything you need on either site) because the shipping is probably going to be slow either way.

If you need an ultra performance gaming PC, you might be better off just seeing if you can find someone local to build you one so all you have to do is pick it up and pay them and they deal with all the headaches of waiting for the parts and dealing with the shopping for them. Or have them order all your parts and then you put them all together. I'd pay someone just to do that part for me if I needed to build a computer. I hate dealing with shipping.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Thats what total n00bs do.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Lol, I thought the exact same thing.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Probably if I was going to build one today for photo/video I'd be thinking along the lines of

MB - X570 MB so you can pop in one of the 4000 ryzen chips when they turn up.
CPU - R5-3600 6c/12t will be plenty and comes with a half decent cooler so can save a few beer vouchers.
Mem - 32GB of 3200 or faster memory with looking out for a kit with good timings if possible.
Storage - 1TB NVMe - plenty for the OS/Programs and some 2TB spinny drives for storage/games etc.
Power Supply - 850 gold modular should be plenty .
GFX - 2060KO - its a 2080 fused down to 2060 levels but in some applications is still at 2080 levels.
Case - check gamersnexus YT channel as they love to review them.
RGB - How much unicorn vomit can you stand?

Water cooling I'm always a but wary of as they seem to give 5 years generally before you have to replace it and given its $200+ versus a new cpu fan at $10 which will probably last till the end of time anyway.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Thanks. Yeah I may just go middle of the road focusing on a good motherboard that has everything I want, so I can just upgrade later.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yeah, but I'm not going to wait until the end of the year.

I generally get very irritated with personal computer type technology, and if it can't keep up with me it tends to get thrown out the window.

My last laptop went for a flight a few month ago.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Thanks good info.

Can anyone give me any personal opinions on motherboards? That's really what my hang up is right now.

I want to be able to stick a metric butt ton of ram on it, and the more gpu slots the better, and I'd like for it to have has many ethernet and usb connections as possible.

Wifi isn't necessary.

A dual processor board would be cool to mess with.
edit on 1752020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

How many Ethernet ports do you need? Lol
edit on 1752020 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Hahaha. You got me. I was in a hurry.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Does it work?

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Lol, I thought the exact same thing.

Anyway, I'm not sure which part of my post the other poster was referring to but I built my first computer in 1991 (An XT clone with a monochrome monitor). If you were referring to me saying I'd pay someone to get the parts, the reason I said that is because I'm lazy. Not because I don't know what I'm doing. I also am kind of a nervous, twitchy person and I hate waiting on deliveries. Of anything.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

pcpartpicker.com

It will help you put together a build and make sure it's all compatible.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

If you are in Australia I'd say MSY... cheapest and best.

but.. thats a long postage.

I tried to get some parts for my Nissan Pathfinder the other day, mechanic told me im looking at 3-4 months due to the current situation

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks! I'll check it out when I get home from work.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Jeez. What's going on over there? That's a long time for parts.

I'd love to have some land out in Australia, but I don't think ya'll could handle me.

I'd probably find myself bound and gagged on a Chinese junk back to the US.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

Jeez. What's going on over there? That's a long time for parts.

I'd love to have some land out in Australia, but I don't think ya'll could handle me.

I'd probably find myself bound and gagged on a Chinese junk back to the US.

It's not if we can handle you, its if you can handle life here..

Part of our governments plan for entries due to this COVID situation is to drop inbound folks in North Queensland near a remote community (think Crocs, Snakes, Jelly Fish, Spiders) If they make it back to a capital city - they then get consideration for a visa.

If we never hear from them again.. then they were never going to make it anyway.

new times, new rules!

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

China. All that USA technology and knowhow - comes from China (or Mexico).

In the shuffle of technology, when at the last, everyone shows their hand, you have been trumped!

edit on 17/5/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   

No paper tests? Sounds good to me! I'm already well practiced in bushcraft and outdoor survival.

I like it. Survival of the fittest.

Don't say I didn't warn ya though lol.

In all honesty though, when I first got out of the US Navy, I had an opportunity to enlist in the Australian Navy doing the same job. I almost took it, and it would have allowed me to obtain an Australian citizenship.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I think you forgot where the political forums are buddy.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

a reply to: chr0naut

I think you forgot where the political forums are buddy.

They don't do computer parts!

Being more serious, we have some companies that do direct imports and specialize in technology, as well as purchasing through major suppliers. I don't know who that might be in the US but I imagine there are a stack of them.

Probably, these days, their online sales will be greater than shopfront ones.

Perhaps, if you find a PC builder/configurator, you could ask them how they get their parts. Just say you want to buy American.

edit on 17/5/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join