It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Up With This Asteroid Stuff

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
So, here's my background as to why I'm asking why, just to ward off later questions about my knowledge.
I'm not a big news eater, I roughly live under a rock compared to most, but I've been noticing a LOT of conspiracy threads and posts on here related to an asteroid impact.

It's easy to feel that COVID-19 is covering up something. Because most people don't SEE the disease, and there are so many reports of mild and even asymptomatic cases, it appears to some that this whole virus is a ploy to cover up an asteroid impact.

Now, I am aware that Earth is not invulnerable, sure. But where did this whole idea come about? Who popularized the C19 asteroid cover up conspiracy?
If they are trying to distract us from an impact, why? Wouldn't trying to make the entire world happy and let us all live our last days smiling and grinning at Disney World be a better option?

Is it to keep everyone from killing each other like the theorists say, to prevent panic?

Would amateur space gazers be able to find this asteroid and tell us the truth?

Are there asteroids that can blind side us?

I want some realism here. I want posts from amateur astronomers. Healthcare workers in hospitals. Real people who know real things. And of course, random people with smart opinions who think they know real things. That means YOU.

What's with this asteroid stuff? Do people really want this planet to burn? Is C19 actually a a cover up or are the ASTEROID 2020 folks just bored and angsty?

Boil this down for me. What's the deal? Can an asteroid come out of the woodwork? If an amateur found one, what would happen to them, their posts, etc? Where would we find the news? Who would debunk it? Who would prove it true? What would happen? Let's get real here, guys. Come on, C19? An ASTEROID?

Change my mind.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Crosswinds

An asteroid can certainly blindside us. I don't believe that's what this is. That's a lot of worldwide resources being drained for a massive cover-up for something that's not very deadly. But, what do I know?

edit on 1-4-2020 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I started it because I was bored.

/thread

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I started it because I was bored.

/thread

Honestly, it's not a bad choice.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Would amateur space gazers be able to find this asteroid and tell us the truth?

It is often exactly those astronomers who discover such things.

If an amateur found one, what would happen to them, their posts, etc?
Their findings are reported, "Hey, look what I found!" Where upon a whole lot of other astronomers say "I wanna see! I wanna see!" Where upon a whole lot of other observations are made and the orbital parameters are determined. With orbital parameters determined, a whole lot more astronomers can locate the object and say "Yep, it's an asteroid alright."
www.minorplanetcenter.net...

edit on 4/1/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Tom Horn is convinced that there is in fact a cover-up, he would be my first stop if I wanted to find out WHY...

“I intend to disclose facts that are stranger, and scarier, than most people can comprehend and it is going to shake the public to the bone,” said Horn. “This involves a cover-up of highest order by national space agencies, including NASA. Chief technology experts and working scientists agree with me. But, what is more concerning is this was prophesied in the Bible for the end times.”

brobible.com...

Tom Horn shared his belief that the asteroid Apophis will hit Earth on April 29, 2029, a Friday the 13th, and this could be the 'Wormwood' event prophesied about in the Book of Revelation. Horn said he'd had several prophetic dreams in his life that came to pass, such as in 2010, when he had a vision that the current Pope would resign (indeed Benedict resigned in 2013). So, upon having another powerful vision in early 2019, he gave it credence. First, he saw a horned serpent hundreds of feet wide undulating toward the Earth. His perspective changed to an aerial view, and he then recognized the object as an asteroid. Back on Earth, he hears an incredible boom as the asteroid plunges into the Pacific, with tsunamis engulfing nearly half the world. "The atmosphere," he continued, "is being infused with scorched particles...that are coming up out of the boiling waters of the ocean," as people run for their lives.

As the vision was ending, he heard something whisper the word "Apophis"-- the name NASA used for an asteroid (from an Egyptian god of destruction). While astronomers have said Apophis will pass within 19,000 miles of our planet, Horn believes a cover-up is taking place and cited a paper by the scientist Nathan Myrhvold, which argues that NASA heavily underestimates the dangers of asteroids and near-Earth objects. Mapping indicates that if Apophis impacts Earth, it will come down along the coastlines of California and Mexico, and unleash a blast equivalent to a billion tons of TNT or more than 65,000 nuclear warheads, Horn warned. While exotic technologies may be used to try and change the trajectory of the asteroid, as far as he knows, they are not fully developed, as of yet.

www.coasttocoastam.com...

edit on 4.1.2020 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Tom Horn is wrong.
But that's not the asteroid we're talking about. We're talking about this one.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Tom Horn is wrong.
But that's not the asteroid we're talking about. We're talking about this one.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

That looks pretty close. I know some estimates that it will be something like 4 million km from Earth, but that looks scary close for a distance of 4 million km.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Tom Horn is convinced that there is in fact a cover-up, he would be my first stop if I wanted to find out WHY...

“I intend to disclose facts that are stranger, and scarier, than most people can comprehend and it is going to shake the public to the bone,” said Horn. “This involves a cover-up of highest order by national space agencies, including NASA. Chief technology experts and working scientists agree with me. But, what is more concerning is this was prophesied in the Bible for the end times.”

brobible.com...

Tom Horn shared his belief that the asteroid Apophis will hit Earth on April 29, 2029, a Friday the 13th, and this could be the 'Wormwood' event prophesied about in the Book of Revelation. Horn said he'd had several prophetic dreams in his life that came to pass, such as in 2010, when he had a vision that the current Pope would resign (indeed Benedict resigned in 2013). So, upon having another powerful vision in early 2019, he gave it credence. First, he saw a horned serpent hundreds of feet wide undulating toward the Earth. His perspective changed to an aerial view, and he then recognized the object as an asteroid. Back on Earth, he hears an incredible boom as the asteroid plunges into the Pacific, with tsunamis engulfing nearly half the world. "The atmosphere," he continued, "is being infused with scorched particles...that are coming up out of the boiling waters of the ocean," as people run for their lives.

As the vision was ending, he heard something whisper the word "Apophis"-- the name NASA used for an asteroid (from an Egyptian god of destruction). While astronomers have said Apophis will pass within 19,000 miles of our planet, Horn believes a cover-up is taking place and cited a paper by the scientist Nathan Myrhvold, which argues that NASA heavily underestimates the dangers of asteroids and near-Earth objects. Mapping indicates that if Apophis impacts Earth, it will come down along the coastlines of California and Mexico, and unleash a blast equivalent to a billion tons of TNT or more than 65,000 nuclear warheads, Horn warned. While exotic technologies may be used to try and change the trajectory of the asteroid, as far as he knows, they are not fully developed, as of yet.

www.coasttocoastam.com...

I remember I was in Germany in the summer of 2005 and one of their big paper, I think it was Die Bild or something like that, had on their first page with big hold letters , Ende die welt in 2029?One of the subtitles had something relating to Apophis. Could it be or could it not be?

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Apophis is real and so is Revelation
edit on 1-4-2020 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

Apophis is real but it's not going to hit the Earth in 2029.

Revelation is a real book of the Bible.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Perhaps we should also consider that an asteroid hitting Earth may not be on the cards, but what if one was to hit something else in our solar system and cause a domino effect.

Them big computers can do their stuff beyond what we can imagine and TPTB have the heads up maybe.

Prepare, prepare, prepare, but don't PANIC beyond a Pandemic which would be small fry in comparison.

We NEED a moon for instance, and a whole new asteroid belt sure seems like a whole new ball game of debris flying around our sun.

Millions of miles from Earth may be a direct hit for one of our neighbours.

Yikes! It could be like all the asteroid, meteor movies all rolled into one.
edit on 1/4/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Renegade9

I know some estimates that it will be something like 4 million km from Earth
No. All estimates say almost 6 million km.

but that looks scary close for a distance of 4 million km.
Yeah, well. The solar system is big and the Moon is much closer than the asteroid will be.

edit on 4/1/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Two words: track record. Because of that track record, the odds of him being wrong here are very slim. Not to mention the fact that you saying he's wrong is just another confirmation that he's probably right... Nothing personal really, just not feelin' the credibility...

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
What I have heard from a few different people/sites is that it is not going to hit Earth. The reason we have stored up supplies and sheltered in place is because, It will hit some other heavenly body near Earth and that will cause us some problems.

The moon, Venus, Mars, a big space rock near the Earth?

No one is saying.

Big grain of salt here, big as Meteor 2020.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Those the same folk who were talking about Nibiru, and ISON, etc.?

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Because of that track record, the odds of him being wrong here are very slim.

He's wrong.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

People are still talking about that?
Smh.

link   

Apophis is real but it's not going to hit the Earth in 2029.

I admire your optimism more than NASA's incompetence.

link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Those the same folk who were talking about Nibiru, and ISON, etc.?

Please do not lump me into that crowd along with others Phage.

I know I can be out there, but please.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join