It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolutly stunning 4k color footage of 1901!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Such dirty faces.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing
You've answered your own question. The costume is authentic enough.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ntech
Such dirty faces.

And quite a few Muslim women. Looks like humankind got along better with each other at the turn of the prior century.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
I'm sorry, I must disappoint you there. There would be no Muslim women around for another fifty years (the post-war immigration from India and Pakistan). I take it you mean the women covering their heads (but not their faces) with large shawls. That would be a normal costume for working-class women, their equivalent of the hat. Nobody in that class could possibly afford the women's hats of the time, which were designed for the wealthier end of the market. Their descendants of the Fifties would still be wearing headscarves, but they would be cotton, smaller and thinner.

edit on 15-3-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: carewemust
Their descendants of the Fifties would still be wearing headscarves, but smaller and thinner.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: PandaPrincess
I've just been searching Youtube for old clips of Coronation Street, trying to find examples. If you're curious, I'll keep looking.

OK, here's one, more recent. The curlers at the front would not (or at least not necessarily) be part of the costume- they were just a way of training the hair into shape.

I thought Joyce Grenfell would be wearing one in the following scene. In fact she's wearing a much longer scarf, really a neck scarf. The image I really have in mind is of women wearing square headscarves like Hilda's, covering the top of the head like Joyce's, and tied under the chin.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   
As for the claas structure in hats, any excuse will do to bring out again this absolute classic;

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Great British engineering, where we developed 4K digital cameras in 1901!!

Joking aside, that was a great watch.
I was amazed by the amount of clogs that were warn by the adults as well as the children, obviously being labours they couldn't afford anything else but it's the small things you don't think about. In this day and age the kids would all be in Nike trainers and be on their fones even though they may live in a poorer neighbourhood.

a reply to: DISRAELI

Times seemed better when we all wore flat caps

edit on 15-3-2020 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Awesome!

Love it when history comes alive.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
4.22-4.24
Man in line flips off camera.
LOL

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: acrux
Now that you point this out, I'm wondering if that's a line of unemployed men, who might be in two minds about having their status recorded. There's a white-bearded man standing at the door looking very official and apparently letting them enter in groups. If the date is really 1901, I think employnent exchanges were a few years later (would have to look it up), but perhaps that's the door of the workhouse.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

He looks away and looks back again saying something and pointing at himself.

He seems peeved off to be recorded. Wonder what he said.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: acrux

He looks away and looks back again saying something and pointing at himself.

i think he said `up yours`
he didnt look happy to be off to labour
dont forget this is in the north of england not that far from manchester and in the north of england early 1900s there were lots of notorious `bad lads` and gangs
he was probably a lazy git who had never done a days work in his life

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The video in the OP just feels odd. Like being on another planet or something. Everyone looks the same, like related to each other, which is why to me it feels odd.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181
That could be partly the nearly uniform clothing.
Also the communities of those days were less moblie, and more likely to be interrelated than modern cities.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: acrux

"You looking at me?"

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

That makes sense. I’ve been to small towns in the Southern US and I see the same trend, cousins marrying each other, keeping the money in the family.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My son watched this with me last night, he was struck by the fact that the children looked like adults, their facial expressions and body language are not typical of children in the 21 century.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: eccentriclady
My son watched this with me last night, he was struck by the fact that the children looked like adults, their facial expressions and body language are not typical of children in the 21 century.

what is so hard to understand
of course peoples/childrens attitude and mannerisms were totally different back then

nowadays everything we say speak, how we act, dress, our attitude, moods, behaviours are all shaped by the movies/television/celebrities/popstars etc etc which shape how we talk, dress, react, etc

this was before all that, people didnt really have diva like attitudes or `brap brap bling bling` attitudes
women wouldnt flap their hands at each other like in an episode of friends and say `oh im sooooo done with you`
men wouldnt wave their hands and say `ya get me bro innit`
little girls wouldnt walk around in makeup, inapropriate skirts etc
and little boys are just boys, no stupid fade haircuts, or holding video games in their hands

im not saying the world was better then but this is literally as close to natural as can be, for the people you see in the video

people would just be people

yes sir, no sir, and either peoples normal personality, or their grumpy personality

edit on 15-3-2020 by PandaPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eccentriclady
One factor would be that boys, at least, were going out to work at an earlier age. State-funded education was not available after the age of twelve or thirteen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join