It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus, Herbs and the Cytokine Storm

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Anyone familiar with the cytokine storm, the immune system and viruses please add your feedback here.
I know some things we take for illness and viruses can actually make you sicker.
For coronavirus, at lest the bird flu kind is recommended.

This source is a rather lengthy PDF file
Information and herbal strategies for Influenza support
Understanding the virus, its risks and complications,
and the goals of herbal therapy

Herbs that reduce cytokine storm activity and buffer “hot” influenza symptoms:
Baikal Scullcap root
Reduces cytokine storm and acts as an inhibitor of influenza symptoms.

Salvia milthiorrhiza root
Immunomodulant for cytokine storm, esp. with a constricted, wiry pulse.

Ginger and Turmeric
Both rhizomes are anti-inflammatory and inhibit inflammatory cytokines. This protects
respiratory tissue as well as relieving symptoms. Most indicated in the initial phases of
the flu as warming agents

St. John’s wort
This is a potent antiviral herb, prized as a restorative in deficient, depleted constitutions.
Modern evidence points not only to its pharmacological effect on dampening the cytokine
storm by suppressing IL

edit on Fri Jan 24 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jan 24 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I read somewhere that taking Curcumin also helps alleviate the symptoms from a cytokine storm, but it shouldn't be taken before or during viral illnesses, because in some cases it can contribute to developing a cytokine storm.

There are three central substances in stopping a cytokine storm.

Eicosapentaenic Acid (EPA) - this superunsaturated fatty acid is present in fat fish from cold waters, seal- and whale oils. A high quality supplement of one of these oils should be taken as a supplement prior to the disease (super unsaturated fatty acids like EPA is essential to modulate the immune system, regulate auto-immune diseases, promote normal growth, development and function of the body and especially the central nervous system). See the page of how to prevent respiratory infections like the flu virus.
Curcumin - is a substance found in large quantaties in the spice Turmeric. This substance should NOT be taken before or during influenza illnesses as it possibly in some cases can contribute to developing a cytokine storm!
NSAID - more specifically acetylic salicylic acid NSAID - Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug - This is an huge group of medicines. One of the best known brands is Aspirin. WARNING! This substance should NOT be taken before or during influenza illnesses as it most likely in some cases can contribute to developing a cytokine storm!

sites.google.com...

I'm no expert, but I've been taking many supplements over the years and I feel that my immune system has never been stronger. The supplements I take includes Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Curcumin and (knock on wood) I hardly ever catch a cold or flu.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Probably not relevant but interesting; my S/O (a former marine) developed a virus that attacked and damaged his heart last year. The VA treated him with a non stop saline solution to flush the virus out of his system. This took 6 days. A neighbor; (also a marine) developed the same virus two weeks later that damaged both his heart and lungs; he also spent a week a the VA. These two men had not been in contact with each other prior. Both served in Vietnam. No definitive (or VA not telling) what this virus was. I did not contract it. Why?

edit on 24-1-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I heard Oregano oil

Second line
edit on 24-1-2020 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure I experienced the corona virus late last year. Just my sinuses, eyes, throat and chest were affected. My eyes were so sensitive, I couldn't wear my contacts, and one side of my nose was stuffed, while the other side was so dry I was having nose bleeds. My cough was deep and dry. The glands under my jaw were swollen I felt like I had the mumps,. I also lost a good range of my voice. I've never experienced a flu or cold like that.

What I found to be most effective in soothing my symptoms was a Tumeric and Ginger Kumbucha brew. The fizz combined with the ginger really attacked those swollen glands, and the fermentation really soothed my stomach.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this in a separate thread.
I am taking oregano oil and asafetida just in case things take a turn for the worse here in the US. I may add tumeric.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny
If you don't take it before or during an illness....when?

Just as a daily preventative?

Odd that one place said turmeric was anti cytokine, and another said it would cause the storm....

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I think I will skip the asafetida....but I am stocking up on oregano oil.
We've been using that for some years to work through colds and shingles outbreaks.

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Regular sage has some of the same properties as the red sage root in the op. I have no clue if it is effective on the cytokine storm though.

Most of the stuff mentioned in the OP is sulfur based medicine chemistry or herbs, even turmeric is. St. Johns wort isn't though. St. Johns wort could depress your immune system too much, I tried it for my epilepsy and had some bad effects which would possibly block the immune systems proper operation a little too much.. Skullcap and milk thistle both might work, sulfur based chemistry keeps the blood from gelling from hemoagglutination created by viruses.

The strange thing is that almost everything I use to control my epilepsy, also stops the flu from being a problem. Almost all of the OP stuff can moderate epilepsy. It keeps everything from over reacting, even sage can be anti-epileptic for the type of epilepsy I have even though it is considered a nootropic.

Lipids can help moderate a cytokine storm too. High histamine foods can increase cytokine storm problems, pizza and many tomato products can raise histamines. The omega threes in avacados are suppose to decrease overreaction, but avacados also destroy the enzyme that breaks down histamines just like tomatoes and spinach do. So they increase the risk of a storm.

I am a little tired, I am getting spacey, been a long day. Dozed off when I was writing this.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
What about the EPA in good quality fish oil??

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Calming the cytokine storm...maybe....I admit the whole cytokine storm thing baffles me.
If your immune system is in overdrive..????

thefamilythathealstogether.com...

More pro-inflammatory cytokines lead to even more inflammation, causing a domino effect, or the perfect storm… of pain.
Cytokine overproduction may keep your body in a constant state of inflammation which leads to even more inflammation.
Cytokines have a large role to play in an overactive immune response. Overactive immune reactions to infectious and noninfectious diseases can cause high fever, swelling, nausea, and fatigue.

www.lifeextension.com...

Taken to the extreme, such activity can result in a “cytokine storm,” a massive, body-wide release of cytokines that can shut down your body’s entire system.9-11 During a cytokine storm, which can be potentially lethal, over 150 inflammatory mediators are released throughout the body.12 We dealt with the prospect of a cytokine storm on a large scale during the 2003 outbreak of SARS (“severe acute respiratory syndrome”) and more recently in 2009 during the H1N1 outbreak.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
This one is way too technical for me....
www.nature.com...
A bit too folksy
learnandlivewell.blogspot.com...
A bit too ant-vaxx
www.preventdisease.com...

NAC and its benefits
www.lifeextension.com...
edit on Sat Jan 25 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I have to ask the question, why isn't a healthy diet good enough?

Why does our body need "more" of this or that to stave off disease?

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

During the 1918 flu pandemic, many/most of the deaths occurred in young, healthy individuals.
It seems to me, from what I have read...and I can be wrong....a good immune system can go into overdrive and create this cytokine storm.

I know there are some old threads about this....made by soficrow.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Oh I agree, I've suffered under such myself.

Our endocrine system alone is a delicate balance of feedback.

Which is why I would voice concern over introducing anything "new" to our body that relies so much on homeostasis to function properly.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   

The whole thing leaves me quite confused.
I still stock up on oregano oil though. LOL But it is nothing new...I use it when needed and have for years.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

As a medical professional, I would only urge caution into dumping high amounts of anything and everything into your body in the thought that it may defeat the flu or any bug.

A well-balanced diet, a healthy lifestyle would do more good than any "snake oil" might.

(Now I'll stop being serious here and go on to be rather silly in other threads)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

How many people do you know that do that?
That [possible GMO] potato you ate last week.....how many nutrients were lost since it left the [possibly nutrient depleted] soil??

Supplements and herbs are not "snake oil".

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

How many people do you know that do that?
That [possible GMO] potato you ate last week.....how many nutrients were lost since it left the [possibly nutrient depleted] soil??

Supplements and herbs are not "snake oil".

Most supplements and additives we put in our body are rushed to the kidneys and flushed from our system.

There's a threshold to what "supplements" our body can maintain without doing more harm than good.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

So, you don't even believe in multi-vitamins?

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

So, you don't even believe in multi-vitamins?

If your diet consists of McDonalds or bacon/Bourbon/Cheeto's, then by all means, take multi-vitamins.

But if you are eating a well balanced diet or even a nearly well-balanced diet then most multi-vitamins are useless and will be flushed from your body.

An easy way to tell is through your urine.

If you start taking vitamins and your urine turns colors, then those "supplements" aren't being used, they're being flushed from your body because the concentration is too high and your body is actually working harder to maintain homeostasis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join