It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not a single French press made in the USA ...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Here's what I got back...

Our press is not molded or assembled in the USA (these operations are based in Hong Kong), but every other aspect of the business from design to employment is based in the USA (specifically New York, Detroit, Chicago, Phoenix, Seattle, and Iowa where we employ folks, have contractors, handle shipping and warehousing, etc, and that’s where the lion’s share of revenue goes, much of which actually comes to us from outside the USA).

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: dogstar23

Here's what I got back...

Our press is not molded or assembled in the USA (these operations are based in Hong Kong), but every other aspect of the business from design to employment is based in the USA (specifically New York, Detroit, Chicago, Phoenix, Seattle, and Iowa where we employ folks, have contractors, handle shipping and warehousing, etc, and that’s where the lion’s share of revenue goes, much of which actually comes to us from outside the USA).
What a shame; I’d order it now if it were made here.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

Yeah, what a let down. I but little to no Chinese goods and have done so for quite awhile.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Yeah, what a let down. I but little to no Chinese goods and have done so for quite awhile.
It’s nice that we can agree on something rather than tear each other to pieces on political issues. I apologize for my sarcastic arguing style and apologize in advance for the ugly things I’ll likely direct at you on the political forums. I know I can be a jerk. ✌️

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'd be more concerned that it's called a French Press and there's none made in... France.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Same here, I avoid Chinese made products as much as possible.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
I'd be more concerned that it's called a French Press and there's none made in... France.

I had to look it up, but it was invented by an Italian. Somewhere along the line it just was called French press, but it is not really French. Same with French(ed) fries.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scapegrace
I wish I had the money and skills to start my own French press manufacturing firm; I think folks would pay substantially more for a high-quality product made in the good ‘ol USA. I would definitely consider investing in such a startup.

Save your money, no they wouldn't. Speaking as a mid-range coffee snob (who doesn't FP, sorry, I moka it) with quite a few legit Coffee Snob friends who've tried just about every French Press on the market, they don't want American.

They want a company's quality, not where it's made.

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but the coffee snobs are a finicky bunch who give a whole bunch more damns about where the beans come from than the equipment. Nobody gives a s# if it's an American-made piece. The beans, however, better be the fair-trade organic rare Unicorn Fart variety, or bust.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I just bought a Bodum French press at Target that’s made in Portugal. Unfortunately, it’s glass and will likely need a replacement glass beaker in a year or two. At least it’s not from China. There was also a Bodum ceramic French press, also made in Portugal.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Scapegrace
I wish I had the money and skills to start my own French press manufacturing firm; I think folks would pay substantially more for a high-quality product made in the good ‘ol USA. I would definitely consider investing in such a startup.

Save your money, no they wouldn't. Speaking as a mid-range coffee snob (who doesn't FP, sorry, I moka it) with quite a few legit Coffee Snob friends who've tried just about every French Press on the market, they don't want American.

They want a company's quality, not where it's made.

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but the coffee snobs are a finicky bunch who give a whole bunch more damns about where the beans come from than the equipment. Nobody gives a s# if it's an American-made piece. The beans, however, better be the fair-trade organic rare Unicorn Fart variety, or bust.
I don’t trust anything made in China. Too many horror stories. I’m a mid-range java snob, too, and I suspect a fair number of folks, like me, prefer to support American workers if we have a choice. Are there enough of us to support an American-made product? Probably not, or someone would do it. But the stainless steel FPs I see made in China don’t appear difficult or costly to make. Just my completely unsubstantiated opinion.
edit on 7-12-2019 by Scapegrace because: Typo

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I broke my very old glass French press this morning. It hails from the ‘pre-everything is made in China‘ days. Now I find there literally are no presses not made in China. Even the ‘Its American’ is, alas, not made in America and I am pretty sure joins the ranks of Chinese manufacture. I emailed but don’t expect speedy reply. The price alone is good indication. I would happily pay the price for a press produced in a democratically run country anywhere.

I did find the Grosche Madrid Premium is made with a glass beaker that is produced in Germany. The rest of the press is made in China where it is also assembled. That was the best I could find. I am also finding that many of these companies are no longer disclosing manufacture. You have to hunt for it, ask directly, or do internet search to find out. Amazon discloses nothing. I though it was a law to disclose this info.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Oh wow! That is encouraging! Will check it out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join