It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 6 hurt in Southern California high school shooting

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I don't know. Maybe it was that way in larger schools, but in the ones I grew up in, the class size was such that embarrassment traveled a pretty long way. Everyone knew everyone else, so the really embarrassing stuff was pretty big gossip across the whole school.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Yeah, I have one, and he doesn't have his own electronic device for this reason. I want him to be old enough to have a perspective before he gets exposed that far into social media. Real life is real life, and online is something else. Kids shouldn't be allowed to get so immersed in the online world that they lose that sense of perspective.

Yes, I've been online in all kinds of communities, including some pretty toxic ones.

I've also spent a good part of my growing up years being bullied by classmates in a school small enough to let it all spread through the entire class and school.

I still fail to see why you assume that a kid should live so much of their life online though. It's unhealthy.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: starviego

originally posted by: penroc3
more and more crazies ruining schools as a safe learning experience

More and more Manchurian Candidates going berserk to further the gun confiscation agenda.

Why which guns have been confiscated so far?

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I don't know. Maybe it was that way in larger schools, but in the ones I grew up in, the class size was such that embarrassment traveled a pretty long way. Everyone knew everyone else, so the really embarrassing stuff was pretty big gossip across the whole school.

No doubt we had rumors and people heard about stuff and might snicker in the hallway, but no way did word travel nearly as fast as it does now. In addition, there usually wasn't a permanent record of it posted on the internet either to contend with.

We most certainly had bullies and there were nerds and weirdos picked on. However, I think the lack of social media made it much less intense as kids might experience nowadays.

I also think we didn't have nearly the same level of immersion into violent video games either. First Person Shooter games didn't come out until mid 90s. You have a whole bunch of kids now who have grown up immersed in a virtual / realistic world where they are actively shooting people. While I am not going to solely blame video games, I certainly think they can be a contributing factor that wasn't present back in they day.... along with the mind / mood altering prescriptions, etc.

1) Violent FPS games that promote mass shootings
2) Mind and mood altering prescription drugs
3) Social media intensifying bullying
4) Constant media coverage of these acts creates an incentive to do something "big" when you decide to go out instead of just killing yourself at home in your closet.

Almost none of these factors that are common today were prevalent 20 years ago....

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Not at my small school... My buddy was peeking under another friend of ours's mom's bedroom door and watched her undress while the rest of us were outside, probably hooking up stereo stuff in one of our cars. Later that day, this guy told me in secrecy what he'd done. I remember calling him a perv but assured him I wouldn't say anything because honestly, the mom was super hot. The next day when I got to school, people started laughing at me and telling me they heard all about me peeking at Kevin's mom and beating off while she undressed. I immediately knew where it came from. Kevin and the other guy had been my best friends since grade school and it really hurt that he believed I'd do something like that. Even his mom, who I looked up to as my own mother, believed it. What the hell was I to do? My friendship with that guy was never the same, but valuing my friendship with Kevin, I explained to him that the other guy told me what he'd done before he spread that rumor. I don't know it he believed me, but I called the guy out at the Post Office and just before we tied into it, Kevin got between us, told that guy to go home and apologized to me for believing it. But rumors don't die at a small school. For an entire year, the seniors messed with me every single day about it. Finally it all went away once I would make a joke every time someone brought it up. Probably the worst school year I ever had because it was also the same year another dumbass kid told all the black guys that I called a white girl there a "n lover" which I didn't. Those guys wanted to literally kill me, but before it was all said and done, we were friends. And I'm still friends with them to this day and that all happened in 1993 or 1994.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, such would likely be gossip that would pass around the school back in the day, but there were quite a few High Schools in the city I grew up in, so the local peer group extended pretty far beyond the school one actually attended.

Now those embarrassments and bullying can easily go viral across all schools in a city, the surrounding towns, and even MUCH further.

Heck, the Star Wars Kid is damn near responsible for making youtube what it is today, and it went viral worldwide. Now every kid has a camera in their pocket which can catch anything and have it uploaded worldwide to youtube in minutes, along with links to it in numerous facebook usergroups for the school, city, state, etc.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

YEP! Small schools are bad when the rumors fly... They spread faster than a California wildfire.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I still fail to see why you assume that a kid should live so much of their life online though. It's unhealthy.

I don't think they should, but it's the reality they're living in, and just because your child doesn't have a device doesn't mean that a majority of their peers don't have one.

Personally, I think Twitter, FB, and the rest of social media should be 18+ to actually create an account, and no child should be posting their personal information online.
edit on 11/14/19 by redmage because: (no reason given)

(post by wheresthebody removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

I don't think they should, but it's the reality they're living in.

Personally, I think Twitter, FB, and the rest of social media should be 18+ to actually create an account, and no child should be posting their personal information online.

It'll never fly... While technology is far advanced, it's not advanced enough to make things safe for kids under 18. I fully agree with you though.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If their was a silver lining to all this, I guess it would be that thankfully this kid could only get his hands on a handgun and limited ammunition, rather than a AR-15 ... Otherwise the death toll could have been far worse.
edit on 14-11-2019 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
If their was a silver lining to all this, I guess it would be that thankfully this kid could only get his hands on a handgun (and limited ammunition), rather than a AR-15 ... Otherwise the death toll could have been far worse.

An AR-15 doesn't shoot any faster than a handgun...

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Not at my small school... My buddy was peeking under another friend of ours's mom's bedroom door and watched her undress while the rest of us were outside, probably hooking up stereo stuff in one of our cars. Later that day, this guy told me in secrecy what he'd done. I remember calling him a perv but assured him I wouldn't say anything because honestly, the mom was super hot. The next day when I got to school, people started laughing at me and telling me they heard all about me peeking at Kevin's mom and beating off while she undressed. I immediately knew where it came from. Kevin and the other guy had been my best friends since grade school and it really hurt that he believed I'd do something like that. Even his mom, who I looked up to as my own mother, believed it. What the hell was I to do? My friendship with that guy was never the same, but valuing my friendship with Kevin, I explained to him that the other guy told me what he'd done before he spread that rumor. I don't know it he believed me, but I called the guy out at the Post Office and just before we tied into it, Kevin got between us, told that guy to go home and apologized to me for believing it. But rumors don't die at a small school. For an entire year, the seniors messed with me every single day about it. Finally it all went away once I would make a joke every time someone brought it up. Probably the worst school year I ever had because it was also the same year another dumbass kid told all the black guys that I called a white girl there a "n lover" which I didn't. Those guys wanted to literally kill me, but before it was all said and done, we were friends. And I'm still friends with them to this day and that all happened in 1993 or 1994.

Ah... the hot moms.

Co-worker's kid got into a fight in high school. Sure enough, there was a video of the fight and it was posted to Facebook.

We had fights after school, etc but most certainty wouldn't have had it posted to Facebook within 5 minutes of the last punch from 10 different angles.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
It'll never fly...

Yup, that horse left the stables years ago. There's already countless teens, pre-teens, and even child millionaires from instagram, youtube, and other social media followings. Some have spun social media in their favor already claiming absurd but lucrative job titles like "influencer" and "streamer" while others have been beat down by those same social media tools. That's immense pressure for a kid these days, and most parents have no clue how to teach a kid healthy ways to cope with that.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

If their was a silver lining to all this, I guess it would be that thankfully this kid could only get his hands on a handgun and limited ammunition, rather than a AR-15 ... Otherwise the death toll could have been far worse.

Not sure you quite understand what semi-automatic means....

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Not sure you quite understand what semi-automatic means....

Don't you know... AR-15's are weapons of war. They shoot smart bullets that fly around corners. It can shoot 10,000 rounds a second. It is the most powerful weapon in the world. Worst of all... IT IS BLACK AND SCARY looking. And you can buy it on Amazon!

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

If their was a silver lining to all this, I guess it would be that thankfully this kid could only get his hands on a handgun (and limited ammunition), rather than a AR-15 ... Otherwise the death toll could have been far worse.

Either way, its a far more efficient weapon... fact.

But whatever, it wasn't me that turned this tragedy into a political gun debate from page one.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

No it isn't... stop digging the hole you are in.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Either way, its a far more efficient weapon... fact.

But whatever, it wasn't me that turned this tragedy into a political gun debate from page one.

Not a fact.

Nobody said you did. Just that you’re uninformed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join