It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery stores now charging fee for cash back

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
www.bizjournals.com...

Customers at Pick ’n Save and Metro Market grocery stores will now be charged a fee when they receive cash back.

I see this is happening at other grocery stores too.

I knew it was only a matter of time. Grocery stores now charge for cash back. For those of us old enough,
we all know that some powers that be don't want cash to be used. They want everything electronic, they want to track everything. hmmm

Next will be banks, then credit unions. (not talking about atms that already charge a fee, talking about actual banks)

Pretty soon cash will be banned.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm surprised it took so long.
Every swipe of a card costs the store processing fees and that adds up fast.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

It's more simplistically asinine than that... The grocery store charges you a buck or two to get cash on your debit card... the coffee shop, meanwhile, charges you a card fee because the banks charge them a transaction fee for taking debit and credit cards. End result: the banks have discovered a new position to bend you over from and go to town.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
None in my area are.

I use it as a 'free' ATM all the time, sometimes I will just buy a 30 cent candy so i can get cash instead of wasting 2 or 3 dollars at an ATM.

Hopefully this stays in the minority.

link   

A lot of them have cameras at the uscan too. Ours don't even point at the scanner, but rather the face. They're close enough to get your face associated with the card you use for facial recognition.

link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The banks and credit unions make good money on card swipes...

link   

Yep, $2.50 at the Dollar General.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The banks and credit unions make good money on card swipes...

The system is setup to ensure the banks and credit unions make good money on every action they perform. That's the Federal Reserve for you.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

None in my area are.

I use it as a 'free' ATM all the time, sometimes I will just buy a 30 cent candy so i can get cash instead of wasting 2 or 3 dollars at an ATM.

Just wait, it will be in your area too. Just a matter of time.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   

the coffee shop, meanwhile, charges you a card fee because the banks charge them a transaction fee for taking debit and credit cards.

Here in The UK we finally made that practice illegal.

www.gov.uk...

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Cash Back has always been a scam designed to make you lift more money.

They are at the bump.

It's like they dodgy ATM that takes a few quid so you can access your own cash.

Just boycott the places that do so if possible i suppose.

A few of the allnight 24-hour convenience shops tried the same over here back around 2008 if memory serves.

Probably some still do, but i certainly would not use them or their cash back facilities.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Weird...

We used to get charged a 50 cent fee for using EFT pos (using your card in a store) and some places would say that if you used your card for less then $5 you would be charged.

That's mostly gone now. We are even moving away from the $2 fee for using an ATM that doesn't represent your bank.

And you're NOW getting this?

Crikey the world just gets weirder and weirder.....

It's set in stone.. THEY can do whatever they want, and no one can do anything.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It's well worth the membership fee to belong to a food co-op. Petty BS just won't be tolerated by the members.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
At our neighborhood mom & pop corner store, there's a quarter surcharge on purchases via debit that are under $4. Some stores charge for cash back, some don't. Meijer doesn't, AFAIK. Dollar Tree or Dollar General charges a buck around here, one of them, hell if I can remember which.
We seldom use cash back for any reason, though. The last time hubs did that, we were at a Christmas parade last year and wanted the kids to have a few bucks on hand to get treats/drinks with themselves. We'd planned on stopping by the bank and getting the cash out, but did plain ol' forget about it on the way.

The simplest way to avoid cash back fees is to actually have a local branch office bank, get off your duff and go IN IT. Yeah, those branchless online-only shams look great and all, but eff 'em, if I have an issue, I want to be able to sit face to face and sort shiz out, not call a number or type to a CS rep online. That may or may not be a bot anyway.

I know exactly where all the branches for my bank are in every area we go to, and have a general idea for areas we don't frequent or go to often at all. I'm not paying someone else's bank for the privilege of pulling out money from their ATM, nor the same for cash back. Same idea there regarding fees, you're pulling out money and they didn't make a sale, so it's a pseudo-out-of-network-ATM. Pay up.
To be truthful I might in an infrequent pinch like after forgetting to stop at the bank and time doesn't allow for swinging in later, but never on the regular. Fool is as fool does there, you know what they say about one & his money.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I'm surprised it took so long.
Every swipe of a card costs the store processing fees and that adds up fast.

Like they haven't already built that into their pricing....... C'mon Now.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I thought this was fairly normal for a long time, at least in Ohio and Michigan.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   

And we will all just keep putting up with a system that is feeding
off the people that work for a living until living doesn't work any
more. A rigid unforgiving inhuman and inhospitable world that God
did not intend.

Oh sorry did I write that out loud? Don't expect it get better ever
it's only going to get worse.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is why I'm glad I use USAA, any fees they pay me back at the end of the month. It does make up for the fact that I don't think I've ever seen a USAA ATM or branch location. I think there's only 3-4 branch locations left in the country.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

They recently started charging at Kroger for cash back and they've been doing it at Dollar General and Family Dollar for several years now. I only get cash back at the stores I know for sure don't charge a fee but they are becoming fewer and fewer each year.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Don't need cash back..my cash is in my wallet, I never use a card.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join