It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter to ban all political advertising

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Twitter will ban all political advertising, the company’s chief executive officer Jack Dorsey announced on Wednesday, in a move that will increase pressure on Facebook over its controversial stance to allow politicians to advertise false statements.

Twitter to ban all political advertising, raising pressure on Facebook

Personally I think this a really good idea, ban all political advertising on social media, stops a lot of arguments and external influence. I am sure that it will be difficult to enforce this 100% but it will go a long way to helping. I would like to see other social media giants take this approach. I remember listening to a podcast about this issue not long ago where they worked out that the money that social media firms make from political advertising is actually a drop in the ocean and that some members are now put off social media because of politics. So I wouldn't be too surprised of others follow suit.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Personally I think this a really good idea, ban all political advertising on social media, stops a lot of arguments and external influence.

You think!?

What if ATS banned that.. where would you go?

Reddit?

(Sarcasm)
edit on 30-10-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Advertising works. Democracy instantly becomes an authoritarian dictatorship if propaganda is legalized.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: XXXN3O

Where are you seeing political ads on this site?

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Personally I think this a really good idea, ban all political advertising on social media, stops a lot of arguments and external influence.

You think!?

Reddit?

I honestly spend much more time now on Reddit than ATS just because of the amount of politics on ATS, its so much more chilled on other sites. I still post and visit ATS but the politics really puts me off putting as much effort into my threads and posts as I used to.

Although I don't really see any political adds on ATS now that I think about it.
edit on 30-10-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Where are you seeing political ads on this site?

It was a sarcastic joke.

He is a remainer, I am a transnationist.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

You think!?

Reddit?

I already have a browser that bans all advertising. But my banning program also uses surf-bots as if I clicked on the ads so the people running the sites get paid. This way I don't have to watch the ads and my favorite sites get paid.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
They should never have allowed paid political advertisement in the first place.

A step in the right direction at least.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Are you speaking British to me?

link   
a reply to: Ohanka

yeah will be really interesting to see if Facebook follow suit.

link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Advertising works. Democracy instantly becomes an authoritarian dictatorship if propaganda is legalized.

The Smith-Mundt Act was rescinded in 2012, have you turned on the news since then?

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

You think!?

Reddit?

I honestly spend much more time now on Reddit than ATS just because of the amount of politics on ATS, its so much more chilled on other sites. I still post and visit ATS but the politics really puts me off putting as much effort into my threads and posts as I used to.

Just a little joke there. I often read a lot of the Brexit threads and have my own views, it is a passionate subject for a lot of people at the moment.

I would not let anyone rebuttling put you off either, I know some folks can be quite harsh and take it personal these days but controversy alongside good threads keeps things alive on here I think. No harm in having differences of opinion.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Purplefox beat me on the Smith Mundt Act.
But what browser does that?
Good way to make click ads obsolete.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

sounds good buddy

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Sounds great. I've never liked how political ads are effectively given license to lie to you, typically by making claims that stretch the truth to the breaking point.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
Sounds great. I've never liked how political ads are effectively given license to lie to you, typically by making claims that stretch the truth to the breaking point.

Yup I think facebook are the worst for this though, YouTube also has a bit of a problem with fake news but its more difficult to control I think because of how user generated everything is but they at least from what I have seen don't have political adds before videos.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Are you speaking British to me?

Of course

didn't you know...

edit on 30-10-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

There is one reason for this - Twitter already censors the right. Taking political ads removes another way the right can get their side of the story out.

Combine this with the Trump campaign having raised far more money than the democrats and the real reason for this sudden change in policy becomes clear.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

There is one reason for this - Twitter already censors the right. Taking political ads removes another way the right can get their side of the story out.

Combine this with the Trump campaign having raised far more money than the democrats and the real reason for this sudden change in policy becomes clear.

Well to be fair they are banning all politics adds, not just from the right but all of them, that's how I think it should be done.

Its interesting that they say their basically banning politics and I do wonder if this could pave the way to them banning politicians on their platform which would obviously be very controversial.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

Not to mention, most of twitter is probably AI prop-bots anyway.
Imo...Open political ads aren't the "narrative-driving" problem anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join