It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter to ban all political advertising

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Thank goodness. Somehow though, Foreign collusion will be a thing for 2020 still I betcha.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

but they at least from what I have seen don't have political adds before videos.

Everything you see is determined by your online activity - opt in, opt out, ask for more, ask for less.....

just make it your business to decide what to allow inside your brain

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleFox

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Advertising works. Democracy instantly becomes an authoritarian dictatorship if propaganda is legalized.

The Smith-Mundt Act was rescinded in 2012, have you turned on the news since then?

Honestly, I don't watch the news since it all seems like baseless mudslinging propaganda on both sides. The Smith-Mundt Act just allows the corporations to use public funding for their propaganda efforts. I think Citizen's United is was really destroyed our democracy and our lives. Nobody can compete with the resources the billionaires have at their disposal. I will never consider a corporation a person until Texas executes one.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm developing an APP called PolitiAd. It will be the Tinder of political ads. You can like or dislike the ads and then take them on a netflix and chill date.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: dfnj2015

Purplefox beat me on the Smith Mundt Act.
But what browser does that?
Good way to make click ads obsolete.

A super-geek friend of mine wrote it. I've tried lots of times to get him to market the thing. But he's really paranoid and says he doesn't want to get snuffed out.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Twitter is killing it right now! Not only did they ban political advertising, but they allow free speech on their platform. Facebook is the opposite. I got a hate speech violation for saying "Christians are weird sometimes" and some of my friends on both sides of the aisle are constantly in "Facebook jail."

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: proximo

There is one reason for this - Twitter already censors the right. Taking political ads removes another way the right can get their side of the story out.

Combine this with the Trump campaign having raised far more money than the democrats and the real reason for this sudden change in policy becomes clear.

Well to be fair they are banning all politics adds, not just from the right but all of them, that's how I think it should be done.

Its interesting that they say their basically banning politics and I do wonder if this could pave the way to them banning politicians on their platform which would obviously be very controversial.

I think this would be a really good thing, ban all politicians from all social media platforms.

It is getting people far too angry watching it with the all too real-time failed promises again and again. They do not understand the generation they have encouraged via the internet and there has never been accountability, that is the failure in understanding.

I know a few politicians personally, that are actively trying to sue people for social media comments following one that has successfully sued due to comments on posts (Facebook). What they fail to see is that they themselves have not adhered to the promises they have given to voters.

Things like this only slow down what is coming later I think. You cannot keep ignoring the will of the people and expect no accountability for actions or lack thereof.

However, this is just my opinion from Scotland and with Scottish politicians, not the world as a whole.
edit on 30-10-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

I think if they were to do it they would have to have clear guidelines, so if you're a elected representative from any country you cannot use twitter as part of your political/ professional life. You could still use it for making important announcements for example local authorities could still keep it running to tell us when the Christmas lights are switch on and what b-list celeb from 20 years ago with a drinking problem will be waddling up to switch them on.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
the other day I excavated my Google Advertising ID!

it contains 36 characters: starts with "b47" and ends with "d37"

le sigh
edit on 30-10-2019 by VeeTNA because: auto correct sucks

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I think if they were to do it they would have to have clear guidelines, so if you're a elected representative from any country you cannot use twitter as part of your political/ professional life. You could still use it for making important announcements for example local authorities could still keep it running to tell us when the Christmas lights are switch on and what b-list celeb from 20 years ago with a drinking problem will be waddling up to switch them on.

I don't think it wrong for a politician to state a policy or two as part of their manifesto or similar at a local or national level.

What I am speaking of when it comes to accountability and character here. Which I was always taught is the principles of being a politician in my school days and beyond.

I know of a politician as one example that has multiple illegitimate children (preaches family values to electorate), has two partners one that is older and one that is 1/4 of their age, attends swinger parties too, has a disabled family member that they constantly post in the media about caring for whilst doing their political job (they are hardly ever home and have carers for to do the hard work due to opposition policies allowing for that care), regularly attends gay bars etc whilst on the other hand speaking to churches about the values of marriage and constantly slandering the opposition for the lack of values.

Yet when anyone mentions any of the above in posts on social media or calls them out (ive seen much more being mentioned but do not know if the other stuff is true so cannot comment)... The same person calls the police then starts civil suits to sue them for slander, then publishes it in the papers.

That is just one small local politician.

Social media is bad enough as it is, with people saying anything they want free from consequence, without career politicians being given a voice and claiming victimhood if held accountable.

It is a difficult thing of course as we should be free to speak our minds. Where is the line drawn and how many lives need to be ruined before the right idea comes along with it?
edit on 30-10-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

We'll see what happens. I feel like Americans are at the point where they've made their minds up and no amount of politics will change that. Only change will come from actions, and not social media. But does it ban politicians?

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Was this politician also once Mayor of a large city and had a American business woman he was very friendly with

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: XXXN3O

Personally I think this a really good idea, ban all political advertising on social media, stops a lot of arguments and external influence.

You think!?

What if ATS banned that.. where would you go?

Reddit?

I honestly spend much more time now on Reddit than ATS just because of the amount of politics on ATS, its so much more chilled on other sites. I still post and visit ATS but the politics really puts me off putting as much effort into my threads and posts as I used to.

Although I don't really see any political adds on ATS now that I think about it.

I'm dying for some otherworldly stuff. You can avoid politics on here.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Personally I think this a really good idea, ban all political advertising on social media, stops a lot of arguments and external influence.

You think!?

Reddit?

I honestly spend much more time now on Reddit than ATS just because of the amount of politics on ATS, its so much more chilled on other sites. I still post and visit ATS but the politics really puts me off putting as much effort into my threads and posts as I used to.

Although I don't really see any political adds on ATS now that I think about it.

Dude I can't even write threads or posts about movies on ATS anymore without it turning political....

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Was this politician also once Mayor of a large city and had a American business woman he was very friendly with

Haha

No it is a certain politician in the UK

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

You think!?

Reddit?

Dude I can't even write threads or posts about movies on ATS anymore without it turning political....

Change the Avatar, it is the big alien eyes!

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

You think!?

Reddit?

There's a Halloween thread right now that JAG started and through 5 pages it hasn't gotten political. Just ignore the political posts. I'll contribute for sure. I think most of us are probably sick of political threads, too. I know I am.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

You think!?

Reddit?

Change the Avatar, it is the big alien eyes!

He needs a broken handcuff on one hand and black and white stripes instead of the suit so he can look like he just broke out of jail and then he'll be an illegal alien. HEH!

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Are these politicans calling themselves Westboro Baptist Church?

edit on 30-10-2019 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Reddit?

I'd probably mosey over to Tumblr and post dumb memes. Or maybe spend time actually writing something I could sell, like a screenplay or series of YA novels that can be made into a TV series, rather than just giving away all my brilliance for nothing.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join