It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worthless TWATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Through a process of non-complex experimentation I have just discovered that a TWATS vote now carries a value to the receiver of just 20 ATS points.

Anyone know how and why the TWATS currency devaluation took place?

Better question for you. How many points do they take away from you when you get ignored for being a pseudo-intellectual?

THUUUUUUUNDERDOOOOOOME!!!

I propose a fight to the death (backing no horse in particular).

Hands shive to MA.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
centurion
For a guy who wears the hair from a horses ass on his head, you sure are keen to judge other people.
Do us all a favor and go collect sea shells while your empire crumbles.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
centurion
For a guy who wears the hair from a horses ass on his head, you sure are keen to judge other people.

non the less the Romans did slap Europe around for a good few years

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Seriously, an avatar is just an avatar.

Another good question might be: after earning a couple hundred thousand points pretending to be someone you're not, when does a person start to lose touch with who they really are (or were)?

Be kind of like monitor screen burn in, wouldn't it?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
centurion

Damn, while the rational part of me wasn't paying attention, it seems my avatar went online and ordered a helmet, pugio, gladius and spatha.

Maybe it's already too late for me!

P.S. my avatar says it's actually from the horse's mane, not the tail.

[edit on 3/7/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

P.S. my avatar says it's actually from the horse's mane, not the tail.

[edit on 3/7/2005 by centurion1211]

Touche soldier, touche.

psst: The prettiest shells are buried deep.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I think that type of anti-recognition was proposed about 22 months ago, and dismissed for reasons exactly akin to the problems you see.

Bing Bing Bing!!!

Now you're close to why the point value was taken down...

It came to attention that some were pleading for WATS votes just to get points for certain things, AND the pleas were being granted! It was felt that such a move cheapens the whole purpose behind TWATS and I think that's why the points were lowered. I know that the few times I got it back before becoming a mod were much better than any points I ever got...the recognition was much more valuable imho....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It came to attention that some were pleading for WATS votes just to get points for certain things, AND the pleas were being granted!

You're kidding! There are actually people lame enough to beg for ATS points? Wow. I'm so disenchanted with the whole human race.

I understand the reasons behind ATS points, but I can't help but thinking they bring out the worst in some people.

Next thing you know, people are going to be selling their bodies on street corners to get a custom background color.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Hands shive to MA.

Shive (n.) A slice; as, a shive of bread.

Shive (n.) A thin piece or fragment; specifically, one of the scales or pieces of the woody part of flax removed by the operation of breaking.

Shive (n.) A thin, flat cork used for stopping a wide-mouthed bottle; also, a thin wooden bung for casks.

Shive (n.) A home-made prison knife.

Discussions of RANT's sophisticated understanding of etymology are welcome.

Oh, all right, RANT.

I would not have seen the ugliness from the unfortunate member, were it not for you repeating it.

My titles do not include "Fighter", however, this insolence from the mere pup who has embarrassed himself here will be addressed thusly, and "pseudo-intellectually", in the fashion that entertains the unfortunate one so.

1. I hold out that the pen is mightier than the sword, and my pen that engraves optically (somewhere in Texas, I believe) is mightier than the sword, the mace, or the prissy helmet

2. I will "duel" this unfortunate individual when he qualifies himself by becoming one of TWATS, and I am a very patient man indeed. Here in this thread there are already members who have suggested some potential improvements to their enjoyment of peer recognition at ATS, and the unfortunate one has distinguished himself by making a unique suggestion about punitive measures that ought to apply to the "ignoree" when one member happens to ignore another. What "great vision", LOL! Perhaps it will enhance the esteem with which fellow members see him.

3. I will "duel" this individual on the intellectual or "pseudo-intellectual" battlefront in a war of words or strategy. Or I will "duel" this individual on the physical battlefront, bare-knuckled or in any contest of martial arts. My physical size, training and agility are known to several members... Such is my confidence in my ability to "pseudo-intellectualize" and to kick butt.

4. I will monitor the unfortunate one's progress towards his goal of having points deducted from ATS members that he chooses to ignore.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It came to attention that some were pleading for WATS votes just to get points for certain things, AND the pleas were being granted! It was felt that such a move cheapens the whole purpose behind TWATS and I think that's why the points were lowered. I know that the few times I got it back before becoming a mod were much better than any points I ever got...the recognition was much more valuable imho....

Thankyou Gazrok for providing the response with the greatest level of rationale and identification of the issues in the above sea of pugilism and ducking for information cover!

You get my (imaginary) "MOM" (Mod Of the Month) award.

It would seem, then, that ATS Points WERE being used to barter as a currency, and the phenomenon of the ATS Beggar (Please give me some points so I can buy a new background) has come into being. I truly never would have expected that!

The only issue I would like to raise in conjunction with the recognition value, is that no member will actually ever know now that they have received a TWATS vote for any particular contribution. The increment of 20 points is not noticeable enough and the event is not communicated to the member in any way except when the voter has said so. There is only one person recognised for TWATS each month and only one person displaying monthly TWATS.

In my opinion the system needs to be refined to enable other human beings to know their contributions and their positive demeanor at ATS are recognized by peers, whether they happen to win that month's peak popularity award or not.

Thanks again Gazrok, your elucidation was excellent.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Discussions of RANT's sophisticated understanding of etymology are welcome.

Everything I know about the progressive use of language in matters of modern day digital hillbilly feuds I learned at Robert Walker's "GANGS OR US" Gang Identification and Expert Witness Training Academy.

Perhaps the dis in question did warrant a less measured response of considerably more juice, like a zip or shank for the prerequisite wettin' up. But knowing you to be representing the OG as you do I thought the shive I just happened to be packing would suffice to put in work and put all opposites on alert.

But don't sweat the shive Bro. I wasn't going PoPo.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

The only issue I would like to raise in conjunction with the recognition value, is that no member will actually ever know now that they have received a TWATS vote for any particular contribution.

I'm probably more dim than most - but I racked up points all last month thinking they all came from people posting on my threads.

Never even thought about WATS votes. (Gotta say that TWATS line HURTS.
) ...Then I wondered what that blob was on my screen March 1. Took me a minute to figure it out.

...Don't think I would have changed my behavior if I had been counting points and knew my posts were popular enough to get special votes. Might have been more mouthy, not sure.

In my opinion the system needs to be refined to enable other human beings to know their contributions and their positive demeanor at ATS are recognized by peers, whether they happen to win that month's peak popularity award or not.

Agreed.

That's why some of us mix up a little 'positive reinforcement' and 'verbal recognition' along with our critiques. Works for me. A kind word here and there has occasionally stopped me from slashing up in sheer frustration.

...I never really noticed the WATS before I won this month - sorry. Don't know if the why's and wherefore's of its provision have always been such a big issue. Can only say that I appreciate having that shiny shield under my name - whether it's a symbol of quality recognized or plain plebian popularity.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
RANT

Your link is excellent, and the previous lexicology has been amended where it mattered most.

Thank you for another fine learning experience today, that follows closely on from the discovery of nepotism/collusion involving two Chertoffs over Popular Mechanics dealing with 9/11.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

...I never really noticed the WATS before I won this month - sorry.

How come? There are members who covet this thing like The Ring!

May your plebian popularity be long matched by your posting professionalism.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well I am one of the most mis inform person here I though that the way above were applauses until Sofi got the award and then I understood.

Funny I kind of not been to much into that kind of stuff, but I can spot a good poster from a mediocre

And the same with mods, I like some more than others

Mask Avatar thanks for bringing this issue I just learn a whole bunch of things about this award and point things.

If you were a mod you will be one of my favorites.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well I am one of the most mis inform person here I though that the way above were applauses until Sofi got the award and then I understood.

Prolific though.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Promise me when you hit 10,000 posts you'll start your first thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Promise me when you hit 10,000 posts you'll start your first thread.

Oh, my I had not idea I have posted so much, I have not life

I decided to start my first thread when I hit my first anniversary of been an ATS member, I promise.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
Do we get pitty TWATS votes if we post in this thread?

We should have a below top secret award (or something like that) for dumbest posts on ATS. If we can vote based on good posts, we should be able to vote on bad posts too.... though I do see a huge drama potential here, when someone is branded with "loser" and they have to carry it around for a month

You will find this award in that Rand character's signature.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   

THUUUUUUUNDERDOOOOOOME!!!

Didn't the guy in the mask have Down's Sydonrome?

(Sorry, I had too.)

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Humor at the expense of people with intellectual disabilities is pretty cheap, isn't it?.

(Sorry, I had to.)

"PC" advice on this issue:

1. When applying labels to the incumbent "POTUS", be sure that you are clear that Bush is socially retarded rather than emphasising any mental functioning problems he has.

2. Don't poke fun at people with Down's Syndrome (spelling) if your intention is not to offend a large proportion of readers.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join