It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tips On The Application Process For Job

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Howdy folks! I just landed a job after 2 months of job hunting and 70 something applications, woohoo!

So I moved to another state a little over a year ago and was new to the job market after being with my previous company for 15 years. No big deal right? Just seek job, fill out some applications, introduce yourself, shake some hands and wait... Well I filled out 84 applications which took anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes each, attached a resume and waited. Man I didn't even get acknowledgement of information received,(except 2) much less an offer. So I went old school and started hitting up temp agencies in person. Well they all told me to go online to apply. I had also physically gone to the front door of numerous co's and they really don't want you there seeking a job. "You need to go inline sir." Okay then...I guess I understand that but man, you lose the value of selling yourself and making an impression. Still no luck so I went back to the temp co's in person and the timing was right for a job that came open that day. I was fortunate in this instance. I would say if you are targeting a specific company, it would not hurt to go there in person and ask about job. All they can do is say no, but you can create a familiarity with them.

Fast forward 1 year later and I was in the same boat again. I used Indeed and filled out another 70+ applications to no avail. A friend of my folks that was in HR then enlightened me to a few things. 96% of application/resumes turned into a company for review are first screened by AI. A person doesn't sift through countless resumes anymore, which again makes sense with the broad reach and response of online job marketing. What the AI picks up is bullet points, which I had, but the HR person advised me on 2 more points. One, make literal bullet point/asterisk marks bolded, and use actual words that are in the job description/requirements. Second, instead of listing what you have done, word it as your achievements. For example instead of putting "inventory control," put "reduced discrepancies in inventory by..." Instead of putting "shipping/receiving," put "increased accuracy in shipping/receiving by..."

The HR lady also told me to leave the education information off the resume. In my case it was because it reflects my age (50 something), and while that shouldn't work against me, it still may in the initial screening. Also attach a cover letter that conveys specific task and duties you have pertaining to job, ad a bit of personal nuance This may seem redundant and cover letters don't get seen as much, but they can make a difference as they allow a bit of unique information distinguishing you from the masses after the first screening.

I did these things and started getting 60 to 70% responses and then actual interviews. For the interviews, be prepared with actual examples of your performances that made an improvement of some sort. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions. Do a little research on the company and have something to say in regards to that. Take advantage of the " do you have any questions for us?" I like, "what is a typical day like for this position?" "What growth opportunities may I have here in the future?" You can research this stuff online and get a lot of info, but be prepared for interview. You will be much more confident and increase the chance of being hired. I personally noticed a big difference both in myself and with the interviewers after preparation, and the interview became positive and productive situations.

Additionally, I used Indeed for a while but then switched to Glassdoor and not only did this have better jobs but the layout was better and more defined. Glassdoor generated significantly more responses. Be aware if you are filling out numerous apps, that on Indeed there are some scams. If you get a call and someone asks you for your social security number, red flag! Ask their name and company address, then google that info for verification. Obviously don't give anyone any bank account information. Out of 100 + applications, I ran into this twice.

Job hunting today is kind of crazy because you don't have a chance to sit and look someone in the eyes for first impression. You have to get through multiple barriers first and are often competing with hundreds of applicants for one job. My faith is restored though by being made aware of some of these things and I hope that this may help some of you as it did me. Good luck!!

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

Do you have a LinkedIn profile?
I’m not exaggerating here whatsoever,
But I get job offers at least once a month, sometimes more.

I’m always polite with them and say upfront, the only way I will consider the position is if it’s closer to home.
Pays bare minimum $150k/yr salary + bonus, and that I only work 6 months out of the year.

Unless they can match that immediately, I kindly thank them for thinking of me but say I’m not interested.

I always make sure to answer them though, because who knows what will happen in the future.
Never burn a bridge in my field, because it’s a pretty small community.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82
No I don't have Linkedin profile. When I first began the process I googled most used sites by employers and it was Indeed first, then Glassdoor, then Linked in. I felt that Linkedin was more geared towards white collar/professional fields and my experience was more blue collar. I also didn't really like that your info on Linkedin becomes so available and widespread online. Of course I realize that attitude can be counter productive when searching for jobs but I just felt I would try the alternatives.

I like what you are saying though and how you can afford to wait out the offers, until the perfect opportunity makes itself available. 6 months at a time eh, oh yea that would be nice! I didn't know such a thing existed, are you in Finland? HahaI Your approach would be more ideal and I may try that in the future. I got a job as a line technician for electric company and am pretty excited. I like working outdoors more than inside, and this is an industry that remains strong.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Excellent points - thank you.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The biggest tip when looking for a job is CHECK YOUR SPELLING!

In my last job I had to review applications for a CAD Operator in an engineering office and some of the spelling was beyond bad, some people even spelled “Draftsman” and “computer” wrong. I never read past those, I just stored them in file 13 (garbage can).

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: waftist
Fast forward 1 year later and I was in the same boat again. ...

Cool! Another 'guy in a boat' story !

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I recently changed my career path and did not do any of the things you mentioned. Infact I do not believe those things even need to be considered.

I walked in and asked to speak to the person in charge and after 7 min was asked to move to the corporate management team. To this day I have given ZERO background and am in charge of 73 employees and of those people they are also responsible of a team.

Indeed and all those other things are stupid as is a resume.
Just talk the talk and make sure you can walk the walk.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Great job spelling it all out the way you did.
I’m sure what you’ve posted will help out a lot of people.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Never mind as usual.

Cant say anything.

Beware social media however.
edit on 16-9-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Strange double post... first for me on the boards
edit on 16-9-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I've always wrote my resumes as "actions" I did that paired with what the employer needed. It's common sense IMO. You want that ok, I did that and here is an example blah blah but very concise and on target. No filler stuff. Never had issues getting hired.

My current job though, that process was intense. It was all performance based questions being asked by about 10 people. When they told me about the process I looked up all those questions online, wrote down my answers and memorized them.

When I got to the interview there was no thinking, pausing. I just answered precise and on target. When I got the job I was told I beat out something like 400 applicants. They hired ten of us but it was not easy. It took weeks of preparation and practicing with my spouse. I remember the office clerk said I basically won a lottery getting the job. I laughed but I really didn't. I earned that job. Countless hours of prep work, refining my answers over and over.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
When I got the job I was told I beat out something like 400 applicants.

I've beaten as many, if not more applicants.

Not singlehandedly of course, but Vito and Tony weren't really expensive so it was worth it.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I would never leave out my education, previous in-house training nor any self-taught or college night courses from my resume because, to me, it reveals that I am a lifelong learner and I think that adds value to giving the employer more insight into who I am outside work. Right now my education etc. takes up 1/3 of my two page resume and I usually get the interview. I usually don't get the job because I always question the employer on ergonomics and what can they do to make my workstation healthier. But I have to have a healthy work area or it will only lead to problems for me. So far, nobody offers accommodation, which in my case, is the ability to stand, sit and move around throughout the day; not such a simple thing to achieve, it appears. I suppose if I really want a job, I will not question them on accommodation and after I get into the position, then I'll cause them problems about ergonomics...that is, if I want the job bad enough, which would have to be a very interesting and fun position for me to go through all that trouble.

I also have more than three excellent references from professionals, but they don't know this via the resume, but these references will get me the job, just in case I didn't answer any of the interview questions to the interviewees satisfaction I refer the interviewees to my references who may have a better perspective on what they need to know.

The last question where I had a problem was explaining how I and everybody else is a valuable team member (cog in the wheel scenario) and everyone works as a team...well, not from what I've experienced, so there is another problem there. I have been in the working world for almost 50 years, so let's not delude ourselves that that is reality in every workplace... hierarchy and tyranny is alive and well, no matter how much we want to tell ourselves otherwise.

Lastly, my husband always gets interviews (via experience) and the job by telling them exactly what they want to hear. Just a tip.
edit on 19CDT09America/Chicago02090930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

(post by DictionaryOfExcuses removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Dang it, I came back in here to edit my response to Augustus, above. Time limit exceeded.

I see that you are being earnest and trying to be helpful to people. I'm sorry for going a little blue, I guess it wasn't necessary.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Tips for job hunting:
1) have a home
2) have recent experience

If you don't have these two you're pretty much effed out of any opportunities

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Lol nope, not Finland.
I’m in Canada.
I know the mining industry in and out.
My skill set is very wide.
I’m a mine engineer by trade - mine level design, pit planning, ore body allocation etc...
but my main job now is a drone pilot.

And Yes I get paid that much to fly toys.
But then I create real to life 3d models from my drone flights, which assists in dam construction, tailings impoundment planning, volumetrics etc..

I work 1 week on 1 week off.
So it’s not 6 months straight that I get off a year. ...
But damn that would be nice.
I’d hate to see my work load waiting for me after my 6 months off though haha.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
One thing you need to know about Job Boards like Indeed.com. When you apply for a job, you need to include as many relevant keywords as possible, like you are trying to boost a search engine ranking for a website. If you don't include enough keywords from the job posting, it is filtered out and never gets to the HR person's desk. This makes hand written applications better because these at least get read before rejected, with job boards like Indeed, it never gets seen without enough keywords included in the application.

There are a number of websites that compare your application's keywords with the job posting to make sure it has enough to get through to the next step. Even though education and experience is important, your attitude and gaps in employment can have a negative effect, esp.when you land the job interview. Include any activities (esp. volunteer stuff) or self-employment gigs you had to fill in the employment gaps.

Cover letters are important as well, but without the all important keywords, that will never get read either. No need for a waste basket with that system as your application is merely filtered out like it never existed. Of course with all the information they want from you and the amount of time it takes to fill out online applications, it really sucks to think that is all wasted if they never even get close to seeing it.
edit on 17-9-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Make sure you have a solid vocabulary and use that vocabulary during the interview process to convey the value your talents bring to the position. Hiring managers are more apt to hire someone who speaks well than a low grade moron saying, 'Dees, dem and does'.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join