It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruce Lee’s Daughter Tells Quentin Tarantino to ‘Shut Up’ After Latest Comments

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

A stuntman..not a world class fighter..

And the gene lebell clip is acting.. my money is on lebell all day.

But is lebell a world class fighter??

He is close for sure...

I bet we could find someone who knew them both answering that question in some rando interview...

edit on 16-8-2019 by JustJohnny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

No my argument is that boxing/mma/jujitsu/and I’m sure there are a couple other styles are “real” and translate to real life situations, and will work no matter what “style” if any your attacker is using..

Kungfu, hopkido, akido, Tai chi, and the other similar styles that do not have full contact tournaments , are not “real” and do not translate to real life and are not effective no matter how skilled or whatever style your attacker is using..

Karate/teakwando and others are a mix of some effective punches and kicks, but most pressure point and throw stuff being nonsense..

If all your martial art really got right is 5kicks and 4 punches, and everything else is show... its kinda fake.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

Kungfu, hopkido, akido, Tai chi, and the other similar styles that do not have full contact tournaments , are not “real” and do not translate to real life and are not effective no matter how skilled or whatever style your attacker is using..

You were saying?

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

No my argument is that boxing/mma/jujitsu/and I’m sure there are a couple other styles are “real” and translate to real life situations, and will work no matter what “style” if any your attacker is using..

Karate/teakwando and others are a mix of some effective punches and kicks, but most pressure point and throw stuff being nonsense..

If all your martial art really got right is 5kicks and 4 punches, and everything else is show... its kinda fake.

So your point is that only western martial arts work and all eastern martial arts are fake.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Any one who practices AT ALL at combat, even if not practicing super effectively, will have a better chance than a total rando..

Find a video of someone Kung fuing a professional.. not some random kickboxing instructor no one has heard of..

That might be the worst kickboxer in the world lol..

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Can you really call jujitsu western?!?!

Boxing is so old it is crazy..

Olympic wrestling by all accounts is legit..

Like I said..

Any style that actually tests its claims with full contact tournaments that the best in the field compete in...

The ones who do not, do not for a reason.
edit on 16-8-2019 by JustJohnny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

ABSOLUTELY

We really got to test this stuff in early mma with just insane mismatch matches...

Guess who never won??

The little Kung fu master...lol

I recall one where the little guy did win a match against a huge (both fat and strong) guy. I do not remember what the sanctioning body was, hell it even could have been some obscure crap like Faces of Death (I had a close friend growing up whose parents owned a video rental place and we had carte blanche of any videos we wanted to borrow to see anytime we wished, so I watched a lot of death match type stuff with kendo sticks, brass knuckles, Puerto Rican bloodsports, cock fighting, dog fighting, etc.) Anyway, little dude locked onto the back of this big guy's shoulders and neck and just started chopping the daylights out of the back of his shaved head. Split him open something fierce and finally concussed him to the point where he passed out/couldn't answer the ref. Unfortunately, the little martial arts guy also fractured his hands on fatty's dome, so an alternate had to be advanced to the next round. I'm pretty dang sure Shamrock was fighting Royce in an exhibition type match on that same event, but I don't think it was a UFC event... Pancrase doesn't allow head strikes, so I know that wasn't it, either. I was a young teenager, so this would have been the early/mid 90s.

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Did Bruce Lee compete in real deal fight competitions?

Stand up only. ? Knees and elbows?

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Bruce Lee, prior to his career as an actor, was an active and well known street fighter in Hong Kong.

Relevant

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TGunner
It looks like Quentin Tarantino has made a new enemy, Bruce Lee's daughter. I can understand from her point of view as it's her dad and this is akin to spitting on his grave, but every coin has two sides so I can also see how it's a comedy driven movie at the same time.

Tarantino seemed to say that he saw Bruce acting puffed up irl and stuck with that story. So either way. Different people, different memories makes no difference because Bruce Lee was the Boss regardless of what people said against him.

Bruce Lee’s daughter, Shannon Lee, is responding to director Quentin Tarantino’s latest comments regarding her father’s portrayal in the film “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.” “He could shut up about it,” she told Variety. “That would be really nice. Or he could apologize or he could say, ‘I don’t really know what Bruce Lee was like. I just wrote it for my movie. But that shouldn’t be taken as how he really was.'” Tarantino recently defended his depiction of the Asian American martial arts legend (portrayed by Mike Moh) as an arrogant blowhard. “Bruce Lee was kind of an arrogant guy,” Tarantino said at a recent press junket in Moscow. “The way he was talking, I didn’t just make a lot of that up.

variety.com...

I've met people who knew bruce when he was a young kid in HK. He was a bit cocky. He hung out with street gangs, and fought on rooftop fights. He was never scared to back down in a fight and he trained hard. But tarantino is correct that he a bit of a ego. Especially the fact that he was a child actor, and you get messed with when you try to be an adult actor especially an action star. I love bruce for bring the light that asian men were not just femine but could be warriors in movies. I see how bruce's daughter would defend her father. I have no doubt bruce was nice, kind, soul who deeply loved mixed martial arts. He was probably one of the forefathers of MMA. But yea I heard he was a hot-head sometimes especially when challenged by other fighters.

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

A match , for sure...

no one not named Gracie did so consistently though .. and they for damn sure were not claiming to be Kung fu masters lol..

I had an mma buddy who was like 22-3 amateur and 7-7 pro., So he was a no name, , but an experienced no name...and he had this quote I loved...

“Anyone can win a fight.. the jaw is not made to be hit..”

Meaning you lean into the wrong punch and the other person capitalizes..

Your done..

“PS THAT SOUNDS LIKE BLOOD SPORT AND THE MONKEY DUDE

But the question wouldn’t be “who’s style can accidentally get lucky?!?!”

It is..

“Who’s style works as close to everytime as possible???

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

None...

A very few sparing matches with pads...

Lots of demo stuff of his obscene speed though...

But a fencer gets crushed by a knight..

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I would question how varifiable any of that was...

Could anyone prove they were a well known street fighter in the 1970s Atlanta???

I kinda doubt it..

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Hefficide

I would question how varifiable any of that was...

Could anyone prove they were a well known street fighter in the 1970s Atlanta???

I kinda doubt it..

I can verify that story. Bruce as a teenager use to hang out with the street toughs and street gangs of hong kong. In fact that's how to got started learning wing chun. In the old days, there was no drive bys. if you wanted to solve a gang problem. you fight on the street or roof top, and they would use their hands or knives or clubs. So alot of gangsters learned kung fu. Wing Chun is also known as the gangster's fist.

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Read your replies JJ and I find them quite naive to say the least.
I modeled my fighting style after Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune do early
on. And I never lost a fight on the street not even close. I don't
like to brag or even talk about myself but the speed, balance
accuracy and power and the awareness I gained. I could
touch an opponent on the shoulder just enough to interrupt
his balance and already be where he would stumble to just
waiting on him to get there. And what came once they got
there? Well I'll just say it was way to easy You talk like your
a fighter but the things you're saying tell me you don't know
much.

I'm just say'n

posted on Aug, 17 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Why?

You said,

Kungfu, hopkido, akido, Tai chi, and the other similar styles that do not have full contact tournaments , are not “real” and do not translate to real life and are not effective no matter how skilled or whatever style your attacker is using.

So now you want to change your mind and say if they fight a professional now? lol. kids.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: carsforkids

Read your replies JJ and I find them quite naive to say the least.
I modeled my fighting style after Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune do early
on. And I never lost a fight on the street not even close. I don't
like to brag or even talk about myself but the speed, balance
accuracy and power and the awareness I gained. I could
touch an opponent on the shoulder just enough to interrupt
his balance and already be where he would stumble to just
waiting on him to get there. And what came once they got
there? Well I'll just say it was way to easy You talk like your
a fighter but the things you're saying tell me you don't know
much.

I'm just say'n

I been studying wing chun kung fu since I was 17. I have no clue what you mean by touching a shoulder just enough to interrupt his balance means. You sound like your a super master kung fu martial artist. Do you know the dim mak too? You know the one strike death attack?

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Yea tell that to my master who use to be a full contact champion fighter in Hong Kong.

posted on Aug, 18 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Nemox42

I been studying wing chun kung fu since I was 17. I have no clue what you mean by touching a shoulder just enough to interrupt his balance means. You sound like your a super master kung fu martial artist. Do you know the dim mak too? You know the one strike death attack?

No way I'm no master. Certainly didn't mean to come off that way.
And What I was referring to in my abilities came after intense
sparing in Ken po. I'm sure you will agree that certain people just
naturally have that "Killer instinct". You should also agree that
many who possess a black belt can perform all the katas and
even master weapons. But they just do not possess the killer
instinct. But I possessed it at a very young age to the point
where even as a beginner there were black belts that couldn't
compete. All that to say I excelled quickly and was all to
proficient for the street. What I tried to describe about
pulling an opponent off balance it's much easier just to show
than to describe. But wing chun where Lee developed Jeet kune
do from. The way of the intercepting fist. Devastating to say the least.
What part of the world are you in I'm in so cal.

Edit to say I'm no bad ass and I do know a few dudes like Tom Bray
and Mike Roberts that are way out of my league. Lucky for me I
never met one in the street cause you get a feel for who you
should negotiate with a little more. You know that!

wanna spare? I'll spare with you NP.

edit on 18-8-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join