It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruce Lee’s Daughter Tells Quentin Tarantino to ‘Shut Up’ After Latest Comments

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don’t think the average professional Kung fu practitioner (someone that Kung fu is their livelyhood) could beat the average professional bar fighter (rough kneck who is presently 40 and has bar fought every other weekend since he was 16)..

You know what beats all?

Bat(snip) crazy

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I really don't understand why anyone would care if Lee was arrogant or not, seeing as how he had every reason to be. He was a badass mofo. Hell, he might be the only MMA guy out there who could have held his own in a boxing match against a great boxer, maybe not the GOAT like Ali, but other greats of boxing. Ali was FAST, possibly even Bruce Lee fast with his hands, so Lee's natural reflex speed advantage would have been muted in that fight, but I'm not so sure he couldn't have taken Tyson on points in a full fight... not real sure Mike could have hit him, maybe body shots here and there, but he'd have whiffed air on the short uppercuts he relied on... *maybe* he ends up busting Bruce's forearm, though, who knows? Otherwise, Lee had some of the fastest reflexes of any man out there.

Is it a cultural thing that his family is appalled to see him portrayed as arrogant and boastful? It just does not seem to me to be that big of a deal today, in 2019, when we have guys like Overeem, Mayweather, and McGregor who beat their lips as much or more than they beat their opponents. It sort of goes along with the territory... if you can kick another man's ass easily, then why not also trash talk them and strut a bit?

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

a reply to: JDmOKI

Royce Gracie was not traditional Asian martial arts...

Neither was Lee, though. Jeet Kun Do is essentially Wing Chun mixed with the footwork and direct counter striking of boxing. Hell, Anderson Silva trained under Inosanto in Jeet Kun Do and Wing Chun and, well, he's not exactly a scrub now is he?

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

a reply to: highvein

I swing a sledge hammer for 12 hours a day , 6 days a week...presently in 95 degree heat..

I am almost 40, have a full six pack and have not seen the inside of a gym in over a decade..aka every muscle on my body is “farmers muscle “ not the fake mainly for looks body building stuff..

I pity the domestic ( means air conditioner/office job, not sissy) who grabs ahold of me lol..

And that isn’t me saying anything crazy.. someone who can swing a 18lb sledge hammer for 10 hours in the heat tomorrow. Will fair better than someone who could not at anything like combat..

My first day when I was still a domestic after about the first hour I was killed and look over at the 53 year old, 5,3 Mexican still going strong, and I knew instantly that little joker would rip through me like a wet paper bag....

I can’t hurt him more than 12 hours of slinging a sledge hurts...

I can’t punch harder than someone who can swing a sledge all day...

And me having more endurance is totally laughable..

It takes a lot more than just being tough to beat Bruce Lee.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Royce Gracie was not traditional Asian martial arts...

Neither was Lee, though. Jeet Kun Do is essentially Wing Chun mixed with the footwork and direct counter striking of boxing. Hell, Anderson Silva trained under Inosanto in Jeet Kun Do and Wing Chun and, well, he's not exactly a scrub now is he?

Bruce was also a street fighter. And also he would go to other practice centers and challenge their Masters. People are to use to todays soy boys to remember what tough really is. Just ask Fredo Cuomo.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I said in the beginning lee was a legit fighter... but I do not think he would be world class necessarily and for damn sure wouldn’t be busting open other weight classes..

Lee was an actor and tournament fighter..

Incredibly tough for an actor, but maybe not compared to the best contemporary fighters on the planet

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

People also forget that the first dozen UFCs, the Toughman Contest, Pancrase, etc were catch all tournaments without weight classes.

UFC and MMA have changed, as all sports do. Look at football, for example. Dick Butkus was undeniably one of the greatest linebackers to ever play the game, yet if you operated within a bubble and transplanted him as he played then into today's game, he'd either be immediately ejected for gross rule violations or he'd look lost on the field. That said, if you brought him into today's game and gave him the time needed to adjust to the rule changes and different trends of the modern game, he'd likely manage his natural talents and still look like one of the greats. I think the same is true of someone like Bruce Lee... if he was alive and in his prime today, his natural speed and drive would give him the same advantages they did in his era and he'd look just as amazing.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

Aside from Dan Cormier, there really isn't a lot of weight class busting happening anymore. Not sure if that's by intention of sanctioning bodies, training differences/advances for higher weight classes that neutralize whatever few advantage lighter fighters would have had previously^, or something else.
*(When I say minor advantages, I'm not talking overall... obviously the lighter fighter has more disadvantages against a top level heavy opponent than they have advantages, although you look at a guy like Roy Jones Jr and can see where it is possible for a naturally small man to build himself up to the heavyweight class. Obviously Lee was damned light, so yeah... he'd likely not have reached up to the heavyweight class, but light heavy or middleweight was certainly something he could have done and kicked ass while doing.)

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Literally none of those are ANYTHING resembling reality.. by that I mean a full contact match..

The fast pretty kicks have no real force..

“Lee’s only real mma fight” is the equivalent of the tournaments I fought in as a teenager..

I had the same set of pads for sure lol..

Bruce lee was likely the best fighter of all the actors..

Lol

I doubt he was the toughest if we include stuntmen..

That doesn’t mean lee wasn’t a legit fighter...

But he wasn’t world class.. no Asian martial artist has been..

Just watched a documentary on the shoilin and they eat almost no protein and they never let their muscles rest..

They have horrible strength and attempt to make up for it with obscene technique.

That is why none look cut at all.. and I do not mean cut not ripped.
edit on 15-8-2019 by JustJohnny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   

For sure, but for comparison’s sake you can’t compare 8 in kungfu to a 4 in jujitsu..

You have to compare 2 fighters that are 7’s ..or 10’s.. or whatever..

And a grandmaster Kung fu loses to the heavyweight champion in EVERY professional fighting sport..

NOne of the martial arts that are not constantly tested with full contact matches against other professionals.. isn’t doing that for a reason.... and it isn’t “akido is too dangerous” lol

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

ABSOLUTELY

We really got to test this stuff in early mma with just insane mismatch matches...

Guess who never won??

The little Kung fu master...lol

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   

There isn’t an analyst on planet earth that wouldn’t disagree...

Fighters are bigger, faster , stronger and better trained than ever before..

Why??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   

edit on 16-8-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Idk..

In my real life experience, toughness beats pretty much everything assuming both opponents know the fight is comming, and the first swing is removed..

Lee was a tournament fighter. Not a street fighter..

When a large opponent football charges you, lee doesn’t have the power to stop him..

Once it is a dirty scrum on the ground.. lee probably loses all speed advantage and he is almost certainly not stronger..

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

There isn’t an analyst on planet earth that wouldn’t disagree...

Fighters are bigger, faster , stronger and better trained than ever before..

Why??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Steroids HGH TRT

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

But he wasn’t world class.. no Asian martial artist has been..

Just watched a documentary on the shoilin and they eat almost no protein and they never let their muscles rest..

They have horrible strength and attempt to make up for it with obscene technique.

That is why none look cut at all.. and I do not mean cut not ripped.

Define "world-class", please. A "then & now" comparison of "world class" would be even better.

You seem to be judging all Asian martial artists based on one documentary. Am I correct?

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Mike Tyson, Anderson Silva, Mayweather, broc lesner, Connie mcgregor, exc...

No traditional Asian martial artist has ever even been thought to be enough of a competitor to get a match with a world class fighter in his prime..

It really is the exact same concept as women fighters vs men fighters..

Size and strength matter...

The best female fighter on the planet is probably only equivalent to the lower tier professional fighters in their divisions.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I said in the beginning lee was a legit fighter... but I do not think he would be world class necessarily and for damn sure wouldn’t be busting open other weight classes..

Lee was an actor and tournament fighter..

Incredibly tough for an actor, but maybe not compared to the best contemporary fighters on the planet

Bruce Lee was 130lbs and he would crush any boxer around his weight class with his kicks and his super fast hands.

The only argument I'll give you is that he didn't have a ground game maybe but Bruce Lee was open minded enough to learn different styles since his entire philosophy was to be fluid and develop your own style.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Lol they didn’t even used to test...

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Mike Tyson, Anderson Silva, Mayweather, broc lesner, Connie mcgregor, exc...

No traditional Asian martial artist has ever even been thought to be enough of a competitor to get a match with a world class fighter in his prime..

It really is the exact same concept as women fighters vs men fighters..

Size and strength matter...

The best female fighter on the planet is probably only equivalent to the lower tier professional fighters in their divisions.

So your argument is conner McGregor can beat Mike Tyson because he trains mma and stuff? Dude speed and technique can beat strength and sometimes size but mma has weight classes so I don't get your point.

How many times in boxing and even mma do you see a guy with pillow hands dominate a brute who's slow and only has power. Muhammad Ali and most recently Stipe against Francis Nagannou. He probably had a 30lb advantage.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join