It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNET Attemps to Recreate the #VoxAdPocalypse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   

CNET published a hit piece working to demonetize independent gaming YouTubers. It hit people like LegacyKilla and The Quartering, but I've heard they also went after AngryJoe and a lot of others.

Why?

They're critical of the gaming industry. This hit piece more or less accuses them of making gamers angry about the industry with negative videos. The journo in questions essentially tracked their channels for a long time taking pictures of the ads and then contacted the companies to see if they knew what shocking content they were sponsoring. A bunch of companies pulled their ads.

The timing is interesting coming at the same time as the #VoxAdPocalypse. It's also interesting how this happens when a bunch of gaming sites have been sold off or consolidated recently. There was also gamer gate which had less to do with with feminism and more to do with the incestuous relationship between the gaming press and the big developers as I always understood it. The feminism thing was a convenient smokescreen for the real scandal.

At any rate, pick your strike when the time is right and kill off your independent competition who tells it like it is and that can't be controlled. The ones who talk about the bugs, the loot boxes that make a game pay to win, etc.
edit on 7-6-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Not heard of this news.

Frankly I don't trust a site that ignored Elsagate for years upon years, and then decided to arbitrarily ban whatever it wants like conspiracy-related vids.

Really I don't see any of the YouTwitFace nation doing anything good for anybody ever again.

Not sure I trust a site that is non-functional for 10 minutes every hour either but..

Where my Idiocracy gifs?

edit on 7-6-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   
They jealous a person with a webcam gets a larger following than the corporate shillbois.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I love how this has backfired on these morons.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Good. The gaming industry is garbage. Remakes and preorders for games that turn out crap. Gamers should hate the game industry, it's just bad compared to what it was yet the prices continue to rise.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The YouTubers attacked by the CNET hit piece ( and who have subsequently lost advertisers due to it ) primarily voice the same opinions you just stated.

They all have consumer advocacy / corporate criticism based platforms.

Theoretically it could very well be why they were targeted in this article... For informing consumers about the state of the gaming industry - massive warts and all.

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I love how this has backfired on these morons.

Big EA fan?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
They jealous a person with a webcam gets a larger following than the corporate shillbois.

That's it in a nutshell. The multi million dollar corps are losing their asses to individuals with a computer and webcam broadcasting from their home. The legacy media is losing their disinfo campaign to average unauthorized hostile actors. "We are losing the information war."! Remember who said that?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
What was a d!ck move by the journalist was contacting advertisers and asking them why they support an angry gamer. In turn, getting them to ditch the YouTuber.

What's funny us, he is now getting lots of views based on his negative light of "angry gamers". So isn't he just being negative too to get views?

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

That's the conspiracy angle to all this that started with #VoxAdPocalypse -- it wasn't so much about what one man did or did not say about another as much as it was about independent content producers outperforming legacy media which has been struggling in many fronts. So these excuses are more of a front/excuse to deplatform the independents and regain control of the narrative by removing any competing voices.

With the #VoxAdPocalypse, you could very well argue that it was all "hate speech" related even though YouTube did admit that Crowder didn't violate their terms of use, and in the later purge you had people like history content producers getting demonetized for using clips of Nazi propaganda speeches in videos about the subject or one content producer openly attacked a Sandy Hook conspiracy video over 4 years ago and got taken down for that because they used parts of the conspiracy video in their rebuttal.

But branching out to this, you have content producers all across the spectrum getting demonetized by this CNET hit piece which did start out with a lame attempt to blame Trump for it. But what all the content producers in question have in common in a tendency to honestly report on the industry and games and the crap as it gets shoveled at games, but they do also report on positives when they happen.

I put this up to support the idea that this is all about trying to remove the competition more than it is about anything connected to hate speech.

new topics

top topics

join