It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you go to jail for ‘misgendering’? One British journalist is about to find out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
From England, full title at link: Can you go to jail for ‘misgendering’? One British journalist is about to find out

Here we go again. Another woman in Britain is facing a police investigation – and potentially, a jail sentence – because she wrote things online about sex, gender and a person who changed gender.

So far, so familiar, but this tale has a significant feature. The woman is a journalist. A British police force is investigating a journalist over words that she published.

To be specific, tweets. Words that she tweeted. On Twitter. Words that we say every single day, and are in no way an insult or disrespectful.

Caroline Farrow, 44, is the subject of an investigation by Surrey Police over tweets she sent referring to the adult child of Susie Green, head of Mermaids, a charity concerned with transgender children.

Farrow says the investigation arises because she ‘misgendered’ the [adult] child, who was born male but now identifies as female.

The "misgendering" is according to the police who contacted her; she cannot recall the tweets, which have been deleted, but does not deny she could have used the word "son" or male pronouns or otherwise -- gasp! -- failed to jump through these nonsensical linguistic hoops. She "believes" her crime is "malicious communications" in violation of the UK Communications Act 2003:

Section 127 of that Act relates to the ‘improper use of public electronic communications networks’ and says a person is guilty of an offense if he

‘(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or (b)causes any such message or matter to be so sent.

Since "son" and male pronouns are neither "indecent, obscene [n]or menacing," that leaves "grossly offensive." Personally, I can think of many much more "grossly offensive" things one could say -- and lots of folks do! -- but Trans Activists have claimed that anyone "misgendering" them is committing literal violence** against them, and that it is even an attempt to kill them (by their own hand... as in, misgendering them is so traumatic that they will kill themselves. Yes. Really.)

A person can also offend under s127:

‘if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he (a) sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false, (b) causes such a message to be sent; or (c) persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.’

That's quite the word salad there, eh? But if I'm reading it right, they would have to prove/determine Farrow's willful intent was to cause "annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety," rather than to debate/discuss a controversial issue; AND that her words were false, which might come down to whether Farrow spoke in past or present tense, and whether the person in question has been issued a GRC -- Gender Recognition Certificate -- officially changing gender for legal (and other) purposes. And these would definitely be legal purposes!

This is happening in England, but it's a heads up for us. Right now. It hasn't happened here yet, but with the introduction of the Equality Act 2019 in the House recently (no corresponding bill introduced to the Senate yet), and if Trans Activists have their way, it could very well happen here. There are most definitely those who are working hard to make misgendering a crime here. And Twitter and Facebook have already deemed "misgendering" an offense worthy of permanent ban.

It's pretty sad anyone would want to actually send someone to jail for "misgendering," but some do. It's pretty sad that this is even a possibility in the USA, but it is, and push is about to come to shove. As the Equality Act is debated and altered and amended on its way through the House, and presumably then the Senate, these are the kinds of things we need to beware of and be ready to demand better from our elected congress critters. At least I will be. Can't speak for everyone of course! But I hope I'm not alone.

ETA: HR5 Equality Act

And: Caroline Farrow's Twitter

**Misgendering Trans People is an Act of Violence

edit on 20-3-2019 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2019 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

i don't know if its insulting but the mother of the adult child is just a stupid twat
devil:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Steveogold

i don't know if its insulting but the mother of the adult child is just a stupid twat
devil:

As an *adult* the son/daughter should be fighting their own battles and

the militant mother should butt out.

Too much control and interference from the parent.

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I do know one thing.....people have lost their #ing minds.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

This is absolutely ridiculous. The uk has gone full retard. I don't know what else to say.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

As an *adult* the son/daughter should be fighting their own battles and the militant mother should butt out.

Too much control and interference from the parent.

Good point; though she is an Activist and proponent for all trans kids in general -- all things "gender affirming" that are breaking these kids -- so there's that. But interestingly enough, because she herself has spoken publicly about her son's transition (in rather disrespectful ways, in my opinion), she may have cooked her own goose in that she "misgendered" him first.

Crazy times...

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

I do know one thing.....people have lost their #ing minds.

Well, it sure seems some have! Or they're just crazy like a fox and this is the means to another end...

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that the patients don't want to be cured, and the medical community doesn't want to cure them -- much more lucrative to make them medical dependents for the rest of their life. It's a gold mine to them. Nothing more and nothing less.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

This is absolutely ridiculous. The uk has gone full retard. I don't know what else to say.

Cheers - Dave

You've said more than enough -- and I don't think it can be said enough! It is ridiculous. But the UK is just the beginning... we sure aren't immune!

But I give major kudos to the women in the UK who have been fighting this tooth and nail, often at great personal expense. They've been hounded, harassed, insulted, de-platformed, banned, and even physically attacked, but they've stood strong and loud and proud. They have my respect and appreciation. For the ladies of the UK:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: eletheia

Good point; though she is an Activist and proponent for all trans kids in general -- all things "gender affirming" that are breaking these kids -- so there's that. But interestingly enough, because she herself has spoken publicly about her son's transition (in rather disrespectful ways, in my opinion), she may have cooked her own goose in that she "misgendered" him first..

I see controlling/militant parents like that so keen to be right.... that many

bewildered, unsure, children get pushed into something, just so as the *parent*

can wallow in being virtuously correct.

Poor Kids!!

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

I see controlling/militant parents like that so keen to be right.... that many bewildered, unsure, children get pushed into something, just so as the *parent* can wallow in being virtuously correct.

Poor Kids!!

Not to derail my own thread, but that's so true in so many ways. I saw a headline earlier that one of the girls in the college admissions scandal is furious at her parents for putting her in that position, and that she didn't want to go to college anyway. I'm not sure how much she knew and how complicit she was in the whole thing, so this may or may not apply, but if she was clueless to the whole bribery part, she has a good point.

I see it in my own family, parents who never let their kids earn their way and stand on their own two feet, and now -- as adults -- can't even take care of themselves...

Poor kids is right.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

UK will become a police state if they are not careful.

There should be no frailty between truth and freedom of speech;
Abject truth should not infringe on freedom of speech.

No doctor will perform an organ transplant on a patient requiring a Male organ with a female organ, all in the name of political correctness and with a medical license and a life on the line.

Our species cannot change its sex, period. No matter how much you chop, add, or hide behind make up or no matter how much you convince yourself.

At he other extreme tangent, if we can allow and respect the opinions and behaviors of the kkk or extremists, we are willing to give them their rights to exercise happiness.

- now if Tom wants to be called Tina because he is happy as such, far be it from me to deny him/her that; cynicism aside, if the happiness of another human being is for me to simply go with the flow and call a he a she, when we both know the truth, theres absolutely no sweat off my sack. I play pretend with my nephews...

Everyone, including doctors scientists and that childs parents know the truth, but why torment a mentalist simply because of some unnecessary cynicism stemming from a ugly place.

Sensibility is going to have to be forced into the British population just because... I disagree with all parties.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I can imagine that conversation in jail.

"So, what are you in for? Robbery, what about you? I called some guy a guy, when he wanted to be called a girl"

the world is losing the plot at an increasingly accelerated rate. It almost is as if people are trying to out idiot each other at every turn......

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Yup, it's f'ing ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Good points; especially this:

There should be no frailty between truth and freedom of speech; Abject truth should not infringe on freedom of speech.

We can disagree to disagree, we can argue and debate, we can negotiate and find a happy middle ground. But silencing -- and punishing -- free speech is never the proper response because truth will suffer in the end.

- now if Tom wants to be called Tina because he is happy as such, far be it from me to deny him/her that; cynicism aside, if the happiness of another human being is for me to simply go with the flow and call a he a she, when we both know the truth, theres absolutely no sweat off my sack. I play pretend with my nephews...

I agree for the truly gender dysphoric; but not the gender "euphoric" who just want us to roleplay in their sexual fantasy, and sure as hell not anyone who has committed -- or even threatened -- women with sexual crimes.

Sensibility is going to have to be forced into the British population just because... I disagree with all parties.

I think it might be the British population who is going to have to force sensibility into the ruling class who keep pushing this nonsense on the people!

And not just the British...

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
I can imagine that conversation in jail.

"So, what are you in for? Robbery, what about you? I called some guy a guy, when he wanted to be called a girl"

Oh dear... too funny because it's true!

the world is losing the plot at an increasingly accelerated rate. It almost is as if people are trying to out idiot each other at every turn......

I think "the people" are okay... it's the PTB that have lost it.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This nonsense bears absolutely no resemblance to the UK I live in.

I'm not disputing the veracity of the story as its been well reported.....but its honestly like reading something from another country/world that I live in.

This stupidity has to stop.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

You're right... and you're fortunate to have some very angry and determined women in the UK who have worked hard to make sure that this nonsense sees the bright light of day -- as opposed to those who have worked so hard to make sure it all passes in the stealth of darkness. Much to the chagrin of the most zealous Trans Activists of course.

So cheers to the ladies of the UK!

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

UK will become a police state if they are not careful.

Already there. I would never live in the uk, France, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, etc., they have all gone too stupid for words. Nothing but lemmings driven by an irrational urge created by politicians and the k amestream media to to self destruct.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   

We have the same problem in the states, you can lose your job, position, salary for calling a guy a guy when he wants to be called a gal.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Anyone who would kill themselves over being called a name is unstable and should seek out medical care.
Stick and stones may break my bones but your words will make me kill myself.....oh wait that's not how it goes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join