It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic bag tax

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: DBCowboy

Many places charge for paper grocery bags as well.

Sure! Why not!

They dissuade us from paper, we switch to plastic, they start charging for paper, then when they charge for plastic, we have to buy reusable bags.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Ask for paper.

Isn't this the irony?

We went to plastic because people were losing their minds over paper.

That little tidbit shows how history can be forgotten and repeated very easily.

For the young folks, we went to plastic because everyone cried that we were cutting down too many trees for the paper bags.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Never bought a reusable bag but they seem to accumulate.
A seamstress friend gave away some really nice bags for Christmas.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Tax the retailers that purchase the bags. Most stores in my area don't even provide plastic bags. You bring your own, buy reusable bags from the store, or you just stick the stuff in you car and unload it when you get home.

If plastic is that bad, taxing it won't change the problem. Ban plastic and tax those companies that continue to use it.

It won't solve the problem overnight, but it is a sprint in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes they do. My collection comes more from neighbors dropping off stuff. My attempts at returning them just ends up with a , "Oh, you keep it, I don't need it".

Tried keeping a stash in the truck, but I keep forgetting to put them back. I have to remove anything that is not anchored and secured when I take the dogs out. My five Huskies would not just eat the bags, they would eat the whole interior of my truck, if nobody is looking.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

The wife saves whatever plastic bags we do get and then takes them to Walmart. I don't know what they do with them. Many stores in our area sale reusable bags which we do use. But somehow I feel they will figure out a way to tax them.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

I don't know what they do with them.

Don't ask.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Our single use plastic bag law came into effect a couple of years ago. Not a tax. A prohibition.

It took a little while to get used to putting my grocery bags back into my car. But I did.

Same here in California. only use paper bags, and I sometimes forget to bring them in the store.

I recently asked a checker if they ever open up reused customer bags, and have cockroaches come out. She said " absolutely!" And they hop out in the grocery store.

Yeah, reusing bags is a sanitary big idea.
How do you say that in Spanish?
Idi= Idea
Ota= big

Someone got an IDIOTA!

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Here in the U.K. We have to pay 5p for a bag or we can pay 10p for a more durable reusable plastic bag. Hasn't put me off I have a kitchen draw full of them

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Your Spanish is atrocious.

And no cockroaches in my bags. Cat pees on them sometimes, if I leave one on the floor over night. I throw those out.

No, no sanitation issues here.

edit on 3/9/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

The new plastic is made of two of the most abundant organic compounds: cellulose, which comes from wood or cotton pulp, and chitin, the main component of the shells of crabs, shrimp, and lobsters.Sep 28, 2017 Biodegradable Plastic From Shrimp Shells | Anthropocene www.anthropocenemagazine.org/2017/09/biodegradable-plastic-from-shrimp-shells/

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Reusable bags are pretty much h free from various companies anytime me you go to a festival or event in my town. Is this really something to be worked up over though the way some folks are?? Like "omg, you mean I have to exert the mildest bit of effort as a human or pay a few extra pennies!? OMG communist behavior manipulation arrrggghh!!!!"

I keep them under my driver seat. I got bags from the hospital, target, Publix, Walmart, a liqour store, bank bags given out at their promotional tents, blanks given out at other events. I like the milk crate idea though studio mentioned for canned goods. I have a few crates laying around. I like using them to sit at a lower incline when I need to work on something.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

And LPs fit in them perfectly.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

If you have to pay the taxes on these bags you should learn
how to recycle them.
www.youtube.com...

This one shows you how to make a rug from plastic bags.www.youtube.com...

edit on 9-3-2019 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Paper is paradise for roaches. I don't use any type of paper bags. Even though I live in lizard and frog city.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Fun fact.
Cockroaches are actually quite clean. Obsessive groomers they are.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I am happy to hear that, but I still don't want them in my house.

That is the one of the reasons that I don't freak out about all the frogs and lizards. I keep telling myself they are my natural protectors from undesirable insects.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If they actually cared we would end the production of new plastic making the old plastic have value that would motivate people to recycle

I mean you don't see the streets littered with aluminum cans do you ... hell no people collect them for money even cardboard boxes people go and collect them out of the trash for money

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

a reply to: bobs_uruncle

What ever happened to brown bags, you know, reusable, recyclable, biodegradable, etc.

Still available, for a small fee.

One grocery chain here gives me a nickle for each reusable bag I use.

I miss the 60's lol. Things were simply and money was worth more @buying power.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

It's cheaper to melt down aluminum cans than to make "new" aluminum. Same for paper, to some extent.

Plastic bags, not so much.

It's a profit deal.

edit on 3/9/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join