It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic bag tax

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Yeah I know that one would be logistically near to impossible. We used disposables with our kids and it's hard to imagine having to use cloth diapers. They are a waste problem though, kids do poop a lot, LOL.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoryRahl23

The fruit and veg' carriers would definitely be better, but if I tried to take one of those out of the shopping centers around where I live I'd get tackled to the floor.

Lol!! I guess you're not in the UK? These are the firm cardboard containers that

they are transported in which are shelved to display and as they are emptied get

binned.

I also find them useful for storing stuff in the garage for neatness

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Look local store I go to charges 7 cent a bag mind you bags are a little bigger and made of better plastic but no way in he'll am I going to pay for bag then get charged another tax on it after I already paid sales tax on it.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

This isn’t the first law like this, CA pasted a plastic bag tax, but first they banned them then they reinstated them but we have to buy them for .10 each 🙄 is that extortion?

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Ohhhhh, cardboard containers, I thought you were on about the big hard plastic cases some goods like bread etc are delivered in, my mistake!

Yeah I use those too, for putting recycling into though.

I wouldn't get tackled for cardboard BTW, things aren't that bad here... yet.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Komodo
Sounds like Austin, TX

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Welcome to how the UK has been for the last year. I have made topics about this.

The Plastic Bag Scandal

It's totally un-needed and clearly money making scam. Just as I have said, always, its the public at fault for 'supposed' global warming and the build-up of plastic. They never tell the public it's their lack of ability to provide alternatives. PAper bags for shopping and alternative fuel than petrol and diesel. It's our government's fault, not spending more money to find these alternatives but rather saving money and charging us for their lack of trying.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Or at the very least why not biodegradable hemp plastic?

We've been able to make biodegradable cellulose based plastic out of a bunch of things for a while now. Why are we still making plastic out of oil?
Now that’s intriguing. When I was in India in 2001, we sat on the ground and used bowls and plates formed of leaves and dried. Of course we ate everything with our fingers .... butvthe bowks and plates were bio and we put them in a large pile to be disposed of. That was in the ashram. Different story in the restaurants.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

California has this tax actually. And believe it or not, it has resulted in more profits for businesses. They absolutely love it.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I have no problem being taxed for plastic bags because the re-usable ones last a long time and serve their purpose. The flimsy ones from smaller retail stores are stronger if you use two at once. Human irresponsibility is the reason there's so much crap being littered.

It's nice that a lot of plastic like straws are being replaced and that Lego has been replaced by digital media but the reason plastic is polluting is because it's not being cleaned up effectively.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
Minding your own must be difficult, you had to come into a public discussion after all and then get offended at a simple suggestion.

a reply to: BlackProject
Also, money making scheme's only work if you willingly give them your money. You have too many options in the world to pack your groceries in at the supermarket when you bring your own stuff. Excuse the fact that hard working farmers, and a handful of machines have already taken the effort of producing food for 90% of a given modern societies' humans, drivers and trucks have brought them to a location for you.

Whatever. Santa Fe NM has Also banned plastic bags. Their neighborhoods are so much cleaner, which is to the benefit to the local community water supply and animal and plant life. Hopefully Florida gets smart and also bans plastic bags which will be replaced with a quality hemp production coming soon from Florida hemp farms near you 🤣

“We’re searching for the right combinations of genetics and cropping systems that can be effective for Florida,” said Brym. “We are also watching out for environmental and economic risks that might get in the way of our farmers’ success.”

The industrial hemp program is still in its infancy stage, with a lot of work to be done in regards to infrastructure, state and federal regulators and relevant partners for a commercialized crop.

Byrm said that he has already held workshops with more than 300 people interested in growing hemp commercially across the state.

To find out more about growing industrial hemp or funding an industrial hemp pilot program, contact Brym at [email protected].

Sheeeet, let me borrow some land and I will help us all rebuild America one niche product at a time. Get all the durable long lasting bags and even garbage bags. Competitive holding strength and excellent decomposition properties when designed for that purpose. Works superb in many other functions as well when purpose built.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Yet again Illinois is taxing something. This time they want to tax plastic bags, but Chicago would be exempt.
They would be the first in the nation to have this tax.

www.illinoispolicy.org...

No U.S. state currently collects a statewide plastic bag tax. Link’s 7-cent checkout bag charge would be distributed as follows: 2 cents per bag flows to the retailer 2 cents per bag flows to the state’s general revenue fund 3 cents per bag flows to a new state-level Checkout Bag Tax Fund

So here is my problem with this. Most retailers already budget in bag fees. They are in essence double dipping.

Most bags they make today aren't worth 1/2 a cent. Very few retailers have bags that are even re-usable anymore. They are so darn flimsy they barely make one trip. We have one grocery chain here that makes super thick bags. You can use them at least a dozen or so times. Maybe they need to make the bags more reusable. The reusable bags that stores sell are terrible. They are barely fabric and are known to harbor e coli and other pathogens.

My solutions............... Hemp bags, tons and tons of hemp bags. When they have finished their shelf life customers can compost them.
Or other natural material. I know that cotton can be bad environmentally, so maybe something like hemp, jute, burlap.
Maybe we can even figure a way to use kudzu or other invasive plant and make bags out of them.

OR..
Maybe we have plastic pods and carriers and you are charged a rental fee, but get that back when you bring them back in.

Or..
We go back to the old days and use baskets, glass and wood. I remember when most foods were in glass, and it tasted sooooo much
better! Plastic and food is a bad mix!

Ya I don't know how true that statement is about no state taxes for bags but in Hawaii they do charge for a bag if you want one. I believe in California too. Now I don't know if it considered a tax, but it's still a charge.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Recently they just passed a law by me that charges the customer 5 cents per plastic bag used.

Now everyone use these tougher reusable ones

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Yes see there?? They can charge and d tax all they want, but giving the money is still a choice

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Here in my province there is talk of banning plastic bottles, bags and straws. This I have to see.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join