It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis of Brexit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I am not saying that there are no ship building skills down south.

What I am saying is that you cannot just replace Clyde shipping to the SW of England over night because Scotland goes independent. Thats basically what Cornish was trying to say.

Its not going to happen.

The reason the Type 31 might not be built in Scotland is because we are building so much right now the Clyde is booked out until 2030 and they have so much business they just might not be able to accommodate it on time.
edit on 16-12-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Contracts will be completed for sure but the Clyde is #ed afterwards lol

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Contracts will be completed for sure but the Clyde is #ed afterwards lol

Well again you cannot say that.

They have contracts lasting up to 2030 at the earliest, a new Scottish state would have its own military interests they could diversify its not screwed it would be forced to change.

but you're wrong to claim that all those jobs would go down to the SW of England.

I also don't think its right to take gleeful joy out of hard working men and women losing their jobs with a "lol". Things would change thats all...

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Dude, which bit of "The Royal Navy doesn't build ships in foreign countries" do you not understand?
Yes contracts will be honoured but you won't get any more. It is Naval and government policy, heck the government will do it to punish you even if it wasn't policy.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I'll lol all I like, if people on the Clyde vote to leave the UK # them, I don't care, their choice to lose their biggest contractors.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Its a circular argument.

I disagree with you and I have explained to why I disagree with you.

I understand your point about not building in foreign states but there are contractual obligations that go right through to 2030 that mean that the Navy would have ships built on foreign soil if Scotland went independent tomorrow.

I am not interested in furthering this debate with you because you seem incapable of grasping this fact.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Dude, which bit of "The Royal Navy doesn't build ships in foreign countries" do you not understand?
Yes contracts will be honoured but you won't get any more. It is Naval and government policy, heck the government will do it to punish you even if it wasn't policy.

Actually it does, just not its 'warships'.

Besides which the point Other was making was Scotland will continue to have maritime interests so will award it's own contracts.
edit on 16-12-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Like I said, not interested in getting into a circular debate with you and if you find joy in folks losing their jobs I think that says more about the kind of person you are than anything else.

Also I think you might want to review the T&Cs regarding your language, don't get me wrong I curse like a trooper but this is a family site.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Yes and those contracts will be honoured but after that the Clyde will be #ed...unless they build some crappy patrol ships for the new Scottish navy lol
EDIT
Are you a mod now?
Lmfao!
Swearing is okay, just evading the swear words censor is against the rules. Grow a spine dude.
edit on 16-12-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

You make a good point there was a story earlier this year about how a £1 Billion contract was going to overseas shipbuilders for constructing support vessels for the Navy.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

The Clyde only build warships contracted by the Royal Navy so they are #ed if you leave the UK.
Once the contracts finish they are building crappy patrol ships for the new Scottish navy.
Nothing for the Royal Navy.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
family site lol
no snowflakes , no drunks , no insanity and no swearing
lol
seems legit

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Support vessels meh, the Clyde is #ed without warship contracts from the UK.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

The Clyde only build warships contracted by the Royal Navy so they are #ed if you leave the UK.
Once the contracts finish they are building crappy patrol ships for the new Scottish navy.
Nothing for the Royal Navy.

Maybe maybe not. Scottish ship yards would be free to bid for future support ship contracts. That is if not too busy building 'crappy patrol ship's' for years to come.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Why are we even having a debate on Scottish shipping the thread is about Brexit and the disaster that it is.

Naff all to do with shipping.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The Clyde won't be building any Royal Navy warships though, that is guaranteed, no foreign nation builds Royal Navy ships ever, it is policy.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

The Clyde won't be building any Royal Navy warships though, that is guaranteed, no foreign nation builds Royal Navy ships ever, it is policy.

A point you have made several times and no one has disputed.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
OtherSideOfTheCoin disputed it...only reason I'm like a dog with a bone about it.
The Clyde will be #ed after independence and the current contracts expire.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
-Progressive (liberals) in Britain want to remain in the EU

I don't know why you think those who want to remain in the EU are "progressives". Arguably, people who want to leave - or want a different EU - are the progressives.

Anyhoo. The EU's insistence in the Northern Ireland Backstop is hugely divisive, and an indication that they (the EU) are content to hobble the UK in future trade deals by threatening to break up the UK. The more I see of the EU Commission and the scant disregard for the common good of both the EU and the UK, the more I see that the Brexiteers were right - and here I am a person who voted to stay.

With friends like the EU, who needs enemies, eh? Certainly, in the way the Republic of Ireland is acting I would completely review relations post Brexit, including tearing up some of the previous arrangements - like preferential treatment of citizens of the Republic.

When I labeled them "progressives" I did that b/c I don't really know what terms you use over there. Are they the group who favors unions and such or does another group/party more represent labour.?

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin disputed it...only reason I'm like a dog with a bone about it.
The Clyde will be #ed after independence and the current contracts expire.

No I didn't.....

I said that there are contractual obligations to Clyde shipping that would see ships built on the Clyde until 2030 and that would not change if the Scotland went independent.

I said that if we went independent you would still have to maintain ship building on the Clyde because you can't just magic up a the ship building skills and infrastructure required to make up for that short fall.

I never said that the UK was building Navy Warships outside of the UK although I did point out that recently a $1 billion contract was being opened up to foreign states to build support ships.

I also said that I believe in the event we did go independent that those shipping yards would be forced to diversify.

I think in your glee at Scotland taking a hit you have missed several of my points, you are only interested in a argument, if you read my points rather than focusing on trying to antagonise then you might notice that I a not disputing that that the Clyde shipping would take a hit or that the Royal Navy would eventually have to look to the rest of the UK to produce its warships. My only point of contention is that it wouldn't happen over night and that until those contracts expire then yes, Navy Ships would be manufactured on foreign soil.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join